Spider-Man: Homecoming (Post-release)

I had an unfortunate movie-going experience— Some guy behind us had the loudest laugh I've ever heard (our theatre's volume seemed louder than usual theatres, and his laugh alone drowned out dialogue) and I'm glad he was enjoying the movie, but he laughed at just about everything, at things that weren't even funny, and as a result I missed a lot of the punch lines of jokes (he would laugh at the set up) and a lot of the dialogue as a whole. But going beyond that: Loved it. Loved everything about it.
Loved the adaptation of this famous scene:
View attachment 741771

Only thing I can think about right now that I didn't like was the Michelle MJ twist, and it has NOTHING to do with her casting/race—I'm just pissed her name was Michelle. It's literally just a twist for the sake of a twist, it has no thematic value and looses it's wow/shock factor on repeat showings when you know she's MJ. If you're going to have her be MJ just call her Mary Jane! I really liked her throughout the rest of the movie, and when she said "I'm not obsessed with him, I'm just observant" I was like "Nah, you're obsessed with him. Calling it now" (which was further proven by her being in detention with him even though she didn't need to be, and that look she gave him when he walked away at the very end. I am proud of that prediction.) I just wish her name was Mary Jane instead of Michelle. Like I hope they retcon that and say Michelle was her middle name, or she lied about her name to the team to mess with them, or some other such nonsense to make her name Mary Jane (otherwise, where does the J come from?). It's such a minor small nitpick in a great movie, like one word being spelled wrong in an entire novel, but initially it just ground my gears.

He's credited as Aaron Davis in the film, and in the comics that's the name of the Prowler. When he was talking to the weapons dealers in that scene under the bridge, they mentioned stuff that could let him climb, so that was a nice nod. In the Ultimate comics, he's also Miles Morales' uncle— so that nephew he mentions is likely Miles Morales.
Thanks for that insight as it flew past me and didn't know the MM uncle connection in the Ultimates even tough I read them!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I didn't dislike this movie, I liked a lot of it, but I don't think it was the best overall Spider-Man film. I thought the souped up suit worked for a bit but Peter and Tony should have had a falling out leading to Peter forcibly giving up the suit due to Tony's tracking and over reach. That way at the end once they patch things up Tony can gift him a new suit without the bells and whistles and a little "the suit doesn't make the man" kind of note. I'm okay with Peter having a support system in Ned, but not a mini JARVIS/IM suit.

Spider-Man 2 was always my favorite live action Spidey movie.....UNTIL TODAY!!!! I'm not even going to pretend like I wasn't full throttle geeking out through the entire thing. It was absolutely perfect in my opinion and easily cracks the top 5 of my favorite MCU films...hell, it might even be #1. I give it a very big :thumbsup

Best line in the whole movie: The school coach referring to the Captain America PSA: "I'm pretty sure this guy's a war criminal by now."

Best line in the whole movie: The school coach referring to the Captain America PSA: "I'm pretty sure this guy's a war criminal by now."

Almost a throwaway line and the quiet nature of it was class. I'm glad they included it - just a basic little thing that covers little plot complaints etc.

I refuse to believe that that is over 3k LEGO pieces, as was claimed...

Also, was pleasantly surprised to see Tyne Daly in the movie. I've enjoyed what else I've seen her in.

Also, was pleasantly surprised to see Tyne Daly in the movie. I've enjoyed what else I've seen her in.

All the pieces for that set are in the structure and the different areas. It is more a playset than a just display set :)

Almost 4000 actually.

91vIUgfOhpL._SL1500_.jpg

Saw it last night...

Overall, I think it's a decent movie...a great summer action flick. Perhaps not as epic as songs of the other MCU films, but still good.

Holland is perfect in his role. The right blend of Peter and Spidey. He nailed it, and the scene of him buried in the rubble really showed his acting chops.

Keaton was fantastic and genuinely frightening.

Sean

Saw it last night...

Overall, I think it's a decent movie...a great summer action flick. Perhaps not as epic as songs of the other MCU films, but still good.

Holland is perfect in his role. The right blend of Peter and Spidey. He nailed it, and the scene of him buried in the rubble really showed his acting chops.

Keaton was fantastic and genuinely frightening.

Sean
Im kind of in line with this. My expectations werent really high, and Im a huge spiderman fan, but it did what I thought it would do. As a hardcore spider man fan, I didnt like how they deviated from Aunt Mays character, didnt like all the tech in the tony stark suit, kinda thought the AI was a bit much. I also didnt really like how he seemed to be depowered in this vs, Civil War. Seemed like he couldnt/wouldnt jump very far, or wasnt as acrobatic as I would have liked to have seen him. Or how he got tired climbing up the washington monument. There are skyscrapers that dwarf that and he didnt climb that high? Now this goes for all spidey movies, but I dont see how he didnt fling himself up monument/buildings considering his strength to weight ratio. Or when he is huffing and stuff considering how strong he is vs how light he is. I dunno, just nit picks I guess. I also couldnt stand the supporting teenager cast aside from Ned. Thought the love interests were too boring/not pretty and couldnt stomach "flash". I did like however the nod to the comics when he has the debris on him, thought the vulture was really cool/fleshed out, liked the prowler easter egg, and the web action during the ferry scene was cool. Holland was great in the role though, looking forward to more appearances for him. But on an MCU level, it was a tad lackluster.

Posted this on Facebook, but thought I would add it here as well:

For people stating that Spider-Man "breaks" the MCU's continuity by taking place "8 years later", following the events of The Avengers: we need to stop assuming that the movies absolutely take place in the year they were released.
* Iron Man 1 came out in 2008.
* Iron Man 2 came out in 2010, but in the beginning of the film, Ivan Vanko and his father were watching Tony's "I am Iron Man" press conference, the Stark Expo entry was billed as "6 months later" from there, so if we assume that IM1 did, indeed, take place in 2008 (supported by the inclusion of a real world financial television show which, I believe, includes a date stamp), that would put IM2 in late 2008 or early 2009.
* Thor1 takes place concurrently with IM2. (Widow is babysitting Tony because Coulson is dealing with things in New Mexico).
* Captain America1, we can assume takes place either around the same time or shortly after Thor1.
Therefor, in terms of timeline, The Avengers would have taken place sometime during 2009.

8 years later, would put Homecoming squarely in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
The article from back on page 2 explains why there's a problem.

Basically, here's how they boil it down:

Iron Man 3 takes place 6 months after Avengers (established in-movie). It also references an event that happened at Christmas 1999, and says that it was 13 years earlier. This firmly places IM3 and Avengers in 2012.

For reference, other known dates we have for movies:
Thor 2: November 2013 (calendar in background)
GotG 1 and 2: 2014 (1 takes place 26 years after the 1988 scene, and 2 takes place 34 years after the 1980 scene)
Winter Soldier: 2014 (said to be 2 years after Avengers, confirmed by AoS)
Civil War: 2016 (They've been searching for Bucky for 2 years, since WS)

My girlfriend and I saw this on release day back on 5th of July in our local IMAX, we both loved the film

Tom Holland feels like, and is to me, the perfect Spider-man, and I say that as a fan of the original Toby McGuire trilogy.

The film had heart and humor, which is why I love the MCU films so much. The fact that the film weaved into the MCU was a massive bonus.

I'm a huge film score fan and where I feel the MCU has a lot of amazing scores, I felt Giacchino kinda of "phoned this one in".
Spider-man's main theme felt like it was building towards something but fell a bit flat.
They should have gone with the amped up re-orchestration of the TV theme, extended it and given it a huge epic presence and used that.

We when left the film, we agreed it was a solid 8 maybe 8.5 for tying into the MCU.

Yeah they (the MCU) established the current dating method so the new movie has people confused for sure.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back