Spider-Man: Homecoming (Post-release)

Second worst drop for a MCU film. Did not see that one coming, even with Apes opening up.
I think this is something that is just going to happen, it has to. Franchise-fatigue is a real thing. The only reason I saw this at the theater was because my friend really wanted me to go. I don't regret it, but I could have waited to watch it at home.

Some films end up breaking records by staying at number 2 all summer long.

True, just surprised non the less and with Dunkirk opening...well see.

- - - Updated - - -

I think this is something that is just going to happen, it has to. Franchise-fatigue is a real thing. The only reason I saw this at the theater was because my friend really wanted me to go. I don't regret it, but I could have waited to watch it at home.

Agreed. I saw it a second time, and it was just okay. The beer goggles wore off, and I realized that all in all...this film was just safe, nothing amazing.

Finally got a chance to see it this weekend (so just bingeing this thread now). I think my wife liked it a bit more than me (but I thoroughly enjoyed it), was easily her favorite MCU movie as Spidey has the most nostalgia for her (or most non-comic readers).

* Captain America1, we can assume takes place either around the same time or shortly after Thor1.

Actually I think CA1 took place in the 40's :lol ... speaking of which; is Principal Morita the grandson of Jim Morita (of the Howling Commandos)? There sure is a family resemblance -wink-

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a fun theory, but stick with me

Karen is the Venom Symbiote in the MCU

Still with me?

The suit has its own mind, it helps fight, makes him stronger and can make him more lethal than Peter would ever want to be (full combat mode).
Remember when his eyes go black and red and Karen calls it "kill mode" or something like that?

Imagine Karen liking being connected with Spider-Man, she likes the power and his abilities, but eventually pushes Peter to do something (or almost) he doesn't want to do. Maybe she goes full recon mode and turns the suit black and has the scary interrogation voice, goes out at night and fights crime without him knowing (or against his will).

As he realizes Karen has her own goals and is using Peter, he also realizes that the suit is limiting his Spider Sense with the extra technology. He tears her off and discards the suit.

Maybe she never becomes Venom, but the original idea of Venom was to be a woman. This still would give us the Alien/Black suit story arc.

Plus, we know the suit could fit a much bigger person (Brock, but it won't be) or possibly Flash or a Ben Riley type of Spider Clone.

Plus this
0c4d0440039505fd41edfe67cc69e584.jpg

And imagine the "chaos" is the airport battle in Civil War
d20eb628f16efb7014ef4a807dce4115.jpg

Or maybe during the Infinity War movie, Peter's suit gets shredded and he finds an alien costume that bonds with his old suit AND Karen. She gets darker and darker from there. Now, it's less rogue AI and more symbiotic realtionship gone wrong.

Here's a thought: how did Liz not know Peter was Spider-Man?

I know, I know, the thought that a friend of hers in high school being a SUPERHERO would probably never cross her mind, BUT...

She quite fancies Peter, so she obviously notices when Peter isn't around (enough to call him out on it during the car ride scene). When they're in DC and he's missing from the decathlon tournament, she talks to him on the phone obviously concerned about his absence. Then, the Spider-Man miraculously shows up to save them, when everyone knows he mainly operates out of NYC!?

But here's the real kicker...Liz's dad takes the two of them to the homecoming dance, and Toomes keeps Peter for the "dad talk." The next time Liz sees Peter he looks absolutely shocked, like he's seen a ghost (or rather just found out her dad is a super villain and just threatened his life and the lives of everyone he loves). Peter tells her "you don't deserve this," and runs a way (again). THAT SAME NIGHT, Liz's dad is caught by Spider-Man and arrested for selling illegal alien weapons to criminals. I don't think it would be too hard for Liz to connect the dots after this specific event alone, since Peter was so distraught after he talked to her dad, then disappeared immediately after, and a few hours later her dad was arrested. And even if Peter being Spider-Man is so far out of the realm of possibility for her, she did just find out her dad is a super-criminal, so it couldn't be that preposterous, right?

Idk, maybe I'm thinking too hard about this. I just think it's kinda funny

Here's a thought: how did Liz not know Peter was Spider-Man?

I know, I know, the thought that a friend of hers in high school being a SUPERHERO would probably never cross her mind, BUT...

She quite fancies Peter, so she obviously notices when Peter isn't around (enough to call him out on it during the car ride scene). When they're in DC and he's missing from the decathlon tournament, she talks to him on the phone obviously concerned about his absence. Then, the Spider-Man miraculously shows up to save them, when everyone knows he mainly operates out of NYC!?

But here's the real kicker...Liz's dad takes the two of them to the homecoming dance, and Toomes keeps Peter for the "dad talk." The next time Liz sees Peter he looks absolutely shocked, like he's seen a ghost (or rather just found out her dad is a super villain and just threatened his life and the lives of everyone he loves). Peter tells her "you don't deserve this," and runs a way (again). THAT SAME NIGHT, Liz's dad is caught by Spider-Man and arrested for selling illegal alien weapons to criminals. I don't think it would be too hard for Liz to connect the dots after this specific event alone, since Peter was so distraught after he talked to her dad, then disappeared immediately after, and a few hours later her dad was arrested. And even if Peter being Spider-Man is so far out of the realm of possibility for her, she did just find out her dad is a super-criminal, so it couldn't be that preposterous, right?

Idk, maybe I'm thinking too hard about this. I just think it's kinda funny

I thought that too. I was thinking that she did figure it out when her dad was sent to jail, and when Peter talks to her she "rejects" him because she knew that Peter sent her dad to jail and she only used the homecoming thing to cover up her anger. Idk man but this Peter Parker, like Tom Holland, is terrible at keeping secrets :lol Still love him though.

Treated myself a good meal, some fine single malt, and then the movie. Enjoyable ! Tom makes a good Spider-Man for sure. Cap lecturing us about patience at the end was hilarious ! And Vulture might be one of the vilains of the MCU IMO. Good use of Tony as well, and very glad to see Pepper back, and future Mrs Stark on top of that.Will be a hard blow if the next time we see Tony is his last time...

I streamed this on VuDu yesterday. I didn't get a chance to see it in the theaters.

I did enjoy it, however it is most certainly not the Spider-man movie I would like to see. I understand everything has to change over time and I'm okay with that, I guess. I grew up with Spider-man comics in the late sixties thru the seventies. During my formative years of the early seventies, Spider-man was considered one of the more gritty, serious comics. He was wanted for (alleged) murder, most of the public shared J. Jonah Jameson's opinion of him. Nothing ever worked out right for him and he was constantly haunted by Gwen's death. The comic dealt with drug use and racial issues and most of the other super heroes did not like him. He was a true outsider. As a child that was the Spider-man I could identify with.

By the mid eighties all that had changed. He had become the golden boy of the super hero world and everyone loved him. That was about the time I quit buying the comics as that just wasn't "my" Spider-man.

However, as I said, I understand things change and that is okay. I have long come to terms that I am never going to get "my" Spider-man movie. What I find funny is that most fans usually rag on a super hero movie because it doesn't follow the source material. I guess it all pertains on which source material you are referring to. I don't know anything about Ultimate Spider-man or any of the other books in the past couple of decades, so to me--other than the nod with the rubble falling on him-- there is literally not one single thing in this movie that follows the source material I grew up on...Absolutely nothing....not...one...single...thing....

But again, I get it, that's okay....And yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and hope we get more....Very good movie...

Last edited:
I can recall the TV show of the 70's and the cartoon of the 70's. Granted, those aren't the actual comic, but it's my first exposure to Spiderman and the movie is largely on that same basis. There was none of the spider man you describe in either of those 70's efforts as I recall.

In the comic world, though, right now there's been how many new versions of Spider Man since 1980? 10?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back