Spider-Man: Homecoming (Post-release)

Also, another nitpick, but wasn't The Avenger's five years ago? It said "8 years later" at the beginning, and Toomes says something about 8 years, so unless the film takes place in 2020, or for some reason the New York incident took place in 2009, that seems like a pretty big oversight.

The drawing was one thing that threw me off. Since they placed some emphasis on it at the beginning, and later we see Michelle drawing quite a bit, I was sure she was going to end being Vulture's kid.
I thought so too.
When it pointed out he had a kid in the beginning, I knew it was going to be one of Peter's classmates, I just wasn't sure which— and Michelle was the only one who we didn't know the last name of, so I thought "Michelle Toomes" was a possibility.
Speaking of that, why wasn't Liz's last name Toomes? Or Adrian's last name Allan?
Maybe Toomes was an alias?

Super-mild spoiler:

Much as with other films recently that contained shots in the trailer that were not in the film - the trailer scene where Vulture descends through the atrium of the Atlanta Marriott Marquis was missing. I wonder if it was ever actually in the film or was just a bespoke glory shot to pad out the trailer given that production on the film had not yet been completed?

Also, another nitpick, but wasn't The Avenger's five years ago? It said "8 years later" at the beginning, and Toomes says something about 8 years, so unless the film takes place in 2020, or for some reason the New York incident took place in 2009, that seems like a pretty big oversight.

Welcome to 2017

I have a fun theory, but stick with me

Karen is the Venom Symbiote in the MCU

Still with me?

The suit has its own mind, it helps fight, makes him stronger and can make him more lethal than Peter would ever want to be (full combat mode).
Remember when his eyes go black and red and Karen calls it "kill mode" or something like that?

Imagine Karen liking being connected with Spider-Man, she likes the power and his abilities, but eventually pushes Peter to do something (or almost) he doesn't want to do. Maybe she goes full recon mode and turns the suit black and has the scary interrogation voice, goes out at night and fights crime without him knowing (or against his will).

As he realizes Karen has her own goals and is using Peter, he also realizes that the suit is limiting his Spider Sense with the extra technology. He tears her off and discards the suit.

Maybe she never becomes Venom, but the original idea of Venom was to be a woman. This still would give us the Alien/Black suit story arc.

Plus, we know the suit could fit a much bigger person (Brock, but it won't be) or possibly Flash or a Ben Riley type of Spider Clone.

Last edited:
Super-mild spoiler:

Much as with other films recently that contained shots in the trailer that were not in the film - the trailer scene where Vulture descends through the atrium of the Atlanta Marriott Marquis was missing. I wonder if it was ever actually in the film or was just a bespoke glory shot to pad out the trailer given that production on the film had not yet been completed?

I was wondering about that.

Still with me?

The suit has its own mind, it helps fight, makes him stronger and can make him more lethal than Peter would ever want to be (full combat mode).
Remember when his eyes go black and red and Karen calls it "kill mode" or something like that?

Imagine Karen liking being connected with Spider-Man, she likes the power and his abilities, but eventually pushes Peter to do something (or almost) he doesn't want to do. Maybe she goes full recon mode and turns the suit black and has the scary interrogation voice, goes out at night and fights crime without him knowing (or against his will).

As he realizes Karen has her own goals and is using Peter, he also realizes that the suit is limiting his Spider Sense with the extra technology. He tears her off and discards the suit.

Maybe she never becomes Venom, but the original idea of Venom was to be a woman. This still would give us the Alien/Black suit story arc.

Plus, we know the suit could fit a much bigger person (Brock, but it won't be) or possibly Flash or a Ben Riley type of Spider Clone.

Dude... this is awesome. It would be an amazing new take on the symbiote suit that would fit perfectly into the MCU

Still with me?

I would LOVE to see this play out. Though I really hate it when the "die hard fans" would not appreciate change. I mean come on, seriously. We can't do the same thing that's been done over and over again or people will lose interest. Sometimes change can even turn out to be great. (like Jarvis from a human butler to an AI)

Good article about this here:

http://screenrant.com/spider-man-homecoming-mcu-timeline-plot-hole-2020/

The "solution" seems pretty weak to me, but it does make sense. They've said that in the next film they want Peter to be a Junior in high school, but that film is two years from now so that throws the whole "each film takes place in the year it's released in" out the window in regards to Spidey.

Personally I just kind of don't think about that stuff...but the 8 years later is an odd choice especially since it's not explained and nothing seems to explicitly suggest the film is set in 2020. It'd be different if some seniors in school were shown with a Class of 2020 shirts or something...but as it stands it certainly seems to break continuity.

a teeny tiny missed opportunity:

They played up the classic "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" moniker, but when he left that note on the beach, he didn't use the line like he always has in such notes!!

Also missed an opportunity to show the red/gold Iron Spider suit at the end. I know that's basically what it was, but they could've given us what we wanted. They're never going to use it anyway.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Michael Keaton.
Likely the best movie Spider-Man villain ever. Certainly one of the top MCU villains.
This is especially surprising since I normally hate both the Vulture in comics and Michael Keaton in movies.

Keaton plays the Vulture with impressive subtlety and depth. He didn't chew scenery with his Keaton swagger.
He was menacing without being maniacal and sympathtic without being pathetic or tragic. Off the top of my head I can't think of a single villain in MCU or DCEU who manages to straddle that balance. Wow.

Last edited:
This thought just occurred to me: I was thinking about all the cool stuff that was being removed from Avengers Tower when I remembered Happy said Stark sold Avengers Tower to completely move upstate...could the buyer be Oscorp?? It would be a really easy way to introduce it into the MCU - a multi million dollar company buys up the most iconic and pre-existing building in NYC (in the MCU) for its name to be plastered on its side for all future Spidey films.

This thought just occurred to me: I was thinking about all the cool stuff that was being removed from Avengers Tower when I remembered Happy said Stark sold Avengers Tower to completely move upstate...could the buyer be Oscorp?? It would be a really easy way to introduce it into the MCU - a multi million dollar company buys up the most iconic and pre-existing building in NYC (in the MCU) for its name to be plastered on its side for all future Spidey films.
I was thinking that too! After Happy said that Avengers Tower was sold, I was hoping for an Oscorp name drop, but we still don't know who bought it. Not only would it be in all future Spidey films, but any other films/shows in New York; Doctor Strange, the Netflix shows, etc. That would be awesome.

Can we all agree that Holland deserves a ton of awards for that "trapped in debris" scene alone? I actually teared up a bit because I really really felt for him when he was crying for help.

Loved that scene as well. Immediately reminded me of this GREAT Ditko Spidey cover and story:

Amazing-Spider-Man-33-cover.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back