ALIEN Statue cast in Bronze (1979 Movie version)

thanks.

just still not much visible progress. all the little details are real time killer.

IMG_5847.JPG

IMG_5848.JPG

IMG_5851.JPG

IMG_5853.JPG

IMG_5856.JPG

IMG_5857.JPG

IMG_5858.JPG

IMG_5862.JPG

This looks beautiful. I have wanted to do a full size head sculpt for ages, just gotta work out the logistics of making something so big in my tiny house!

thank you guys:D

yes, size can be a problem. a 1:1 alien head would never fit in my flat.. so I guess I will stay with the scaled one.

@ daredevil665: a crouching one would be nice:lol

have done the rips now, so I the body should be ready for the first mold soon (need to add the nails though)

IMG_5865.JPG

IMG_5867.JPG

IMG_5869.JPG

IMG_5871.JPG

IMG_5872.JPG

bought some silicone for the mould and resin for a master cast. made the first half of the mould for the body today and used nearly most of the silicone for it. did not made many massive cast molds though but I am a little surprised of the volume. had to order another 2 liters for the head and the other half of the body.. thought 2 liters would reach for this all and the arms too. :wacko

Foto-0149.jpgFoto-0150.jpgFoto-0151.jpg

Looking really good :) but no key's in the mould half??

:lol exactly... just the moment I filled in the last drip of silicone it came to my mind!!! AW! FORGOT TE KEYS! guess it could work with the uneven cutting line too, but I will cut some key marks into the first half too. not really how to do moulds..

I m also not sure if I ll use a massive mould for the body next time too. too much silicone is needed and i m exited, if the results will be much better than a mould with mother shell. for the other parts of the figure I am planning to make massive cut open- moulds..

What material does it use for casting?

I will just use some polyurethane resin (PUR) for the first cast, so I have a more stabile alien body to work on with the arms tubes ...

my plan is also to sand/ resculpt some areas on the body in resin and maybe make another mould of that one. I will see how things come out. at least I want to cast some aliens in bronze next year..

put out the resin cast today. looks nice in some ways (reminds me on the original latex costume when its unpainted) but I think there are too much air bubbles and failures in it. but the mould works nice, so I think I will just use it further for the wax castings. the only thing that needed to be sanded for a smooth surface are the dome of the head and the shoulders??? of the body and I can do this at the finished bronze figure too. there will be bubbles in the wax casts too, but its much easier to repair there. anyway I can use the resin cast to fit the other parts now...

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

I am not sure what is normal in resin casings, but actually there are really some air bubbles. especially the fine tubes at the belly and the legs are problematic. too much bubbles for my taste though and maybe I could prevent some of them by brushing out the mould more intensively next time. I uses a resin with much longer cure time this time so it would be possible. The resin I used before cured in 3-5 minutes so I hurried up with the brushing this time.

another thing I saw is, that the head might look a little bit better with a changed throat. maybe I will change that in some of the wax castings even though there are some scenes in the movie, where it appears like it is now I think... made some quick photoshop here:

IMG_5865.JPGIMG_5865 Kopie.jpg

also resculpted the "nose" of the dome a little bit. maybe it matches better now...

IMG_5912.JPG

IMG_5914.JPG

IMG_5915.JPG

IMG_5916.JPG

IMG_5917.JPG

IMG_5918.JPG

IMG_5919.JPG
IMG_5920.JPG

Do you dust your moulds with talc before casting?

The revised neck works better with the upright pose you have him in :)

That face looks Awesome! :eek

Do you dust your moulds with talc before casting?

The revised neck works better with the upright pose you have him in :)

That face looks Awesome! :eek

no, I did not. I heard this would give the cast a matt appearance so I thought it wont be necessary. do the dusting prevent bubbles too?

I think I will make the mold with the actual neck anyway (its also a lot of work to change the wired stuff now), but change it later in the wax castings depending on the pose I will chose for each figure. You are right, for the upright pose the changed will be better. change it in wax should be easy anyway and I guess I want to do some crouching posed figures again too. the body actually was also a good pose for moulding and gives me much abilities for changes in wax later on.

and thanks for the face compliment. I am already exited how it will look with a polished dome and maybe steel teeth in some versions.

Dusting the mould with talc before you cast (in polyurethane) should reduce the bubbles, it'll also help draw the resin into the detail. HTH :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back