Baby Driver - Elgort Jacket

rotsman09

Hi everyone, like some of you I just saw "Baby Driver" and immediately fell in love with Elgort's bomber/varsity jacket. Does anyone have a clue what this is? I assume it's likely custom, but have some hope I could buy this. I scoured the internet for an ID, but no dice. Thanks!

2017-Film-Baby-Driver-Ansel-Elgort-Jacket-450x600.jpg
ansel-elgort-blood-cut-face-baby-driver-04.jpg

I was at a Baby Driver screening that had Edgar Wright doing a Q&A after the movie ended. He said the jacket was from Top Shop. Looking through their site, I couldn't find anything resembling the movie jacket (all of the products were for females too). I went to eBay afterwards and found out that they're selling the screen used costumes there. Could be helpful info there. Check the details section.

In the pictures, I'm assuming the jacket's tag is the one that says TOPMAN. I also looked through that site and found nothing resembling Baby's jacket.

MOD EDIT: Please do not post Ebay links, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Courtney Hoffman: Designing Costumes for Auteurs | FilmInk

Interview with costume designer Courtney Hoffman. Baby's jacket was custom made using different jackets from Topshop. More info about other costumes in the above article.

" Back to the Baby character, can you tell us about the jacket that he wears in the movie?

“He’s wearing the same costume the whole movie, and it’s like Shaun of the Dead for me; what is that costume that people will want to emulate? So we ended up making his jacket out of three different jackets that we’ve “frankensteined” together. It was made out of a different bunch of Topshop jackets actually. We tried like 80 jackets. When you pick one costume for a movie, it is way harder than if you have 40.

“I didn’t want that we could buy out of the stores because he’s not buying new clothes. He doesn’t have money so I wanted something that felt second-hand so when we put this jacket together, and it was actually really affordable, it would’ve been really real that that’s a jacket he may have gotten from a thrift store or something.

“And then already on Twitter, because of the paparazzi pictures I’m getting tweets like, ‘are you gonna make those jackets? Can we buy a jacket? I want Baby’s jacket!’ It’s crazy how people that love Edgar’s films, they love the aesthetic of the films and they’re paying attention.” "

Will wait for a picture of the actual replica. Also, in the description, it's missing the front vertical pocket near the left peck.

Last edited:
I have one of the screen-used jackets and would be happy to help with any pictures/information you guys need. It is indeed assembled from a couple Topman jackets. The black one is, I believe, still in production but the taupe/grey used for the collar, waist and sleeves is hard to find.

We could do one of these made-to-measure anytime someone is interested... no problem at all! Just drop us a line to discuss.

Hey, I found two listings of the jacket on eBay for $79! I read somewhere that we couldn't post links here on the forum but if you search "Baby Driver jacket" it should be the first two results that popped up.

Hi there. Would you be willing to sell the jacket? I'll pay good money for it

Hey, I found two listings of the jacket on eBay for $79! I read somewhere that we couldn't post links here on the forum but if you search "Baby Driver jacket" it should be the first two results that popped up.

@Zlurpo is doing a run of these in the JY. I can almost guarantee that his will be way better quality than what you would find on eBay

@Zlurpo is doing a run of these in the JY. I can almost guarantee that his will be way better quality than what you would find on eBay

I'm definitely going to be ordering from Zlurpo since I do not trust eBay reviews at all and I'm paranoid someone will rip me off, but it's a possibility for someone who's looking for a cheaper option.

I've been following this thread for a bit and finally made an account to give my input. I have constantly searching the internet for all the possible versions of the jacket and most are not trustworthy or just look bad. Collegefashions on ebay is trustworthy and has responded to my messages and even given me in hand pictures, but sadly the $79.99 jacket just doesn't cut it. The black and grey isn't right but the biggest issue is how long the neck rib is as shown in the attached picture.

Bryqaji.png

What I set out to do to make my perfect Baby jacket is I purchased two jackets from ASOS. The Navy and Stone New Cotton Look Bomber Jackets which turned out perfect. The fit is great and colors look very close With a very dark navy color, and the stone matches the sleeves and ribs so well. Only inaccuracy I could really see is the missing tubing around the waist ribs and wrist ribs. Yet, the problem is that to have a tailor attach them to make Baby's Jacket, it would be around $190 (maybe a little less as I have to see a few more still)... which at that point is it worth it after I already spent $80 (total of $270 for the jacket...).Yet my silver lining is this new info about the Zlurpo jacket as the price is very nice. Yet I am new to this site so how soon would it be created and is it for sure 100% being made?

I want to let you know guys that the black topman base is available on ebay UK. The detail everybody seems to be missing is the vertical pocket on the left pec.
****EDIT I'm wrong, bought the version with the zipper....oh well.

Last edited:
I want to let you know guys that the black topman base is available on ebay UK. The detail everybody seems to be missing is the vertical pocket on the left pec.
Jacket in the movie doesn't have that pocket. The Jacket in the movie does not have the pocket and the ribbing at the bottom does not connect in the middle but if you look up Baby Driver Jacket you can see him wearing another jacket (that didn't make the cut)with the pocket on the left pec and the color on the ribbing at the bottom connects around his full waist.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

The jacket with the vertical pocket did make it into the film - several versions (all meant to represent the same jacket, narratively) are seen on screen. None of the film-used black jackets are still available, though some close ones can be found.

The grey jacket which supplied the arms, collar, cuffs, and waist actually never made it to stores to begin with, as it turns out. It was from a limited run of prototype jackets which Topshop must have supplied in response to the costume designer's request for varsity and bomber jackets. Courtney Hoffman and Edgar Wright must have really liked the Topman jackets' look, the way they fit Elgort, and the ridge detail on the ribbed material, because they made the concession to cobble together less consistent jackets in order to use them.

We have one of the prototype greys and one of the original black jackets; I'm supplying Zlurpo and Indy Magnoli with reference to make replicas. They both do nice work, though I believe Zlurpo's already conceded that his won't feature the ridges on the ribbed waist and cuffs. I know Indy often gets into more custom weaves/materials, and I'm hoping he might pull that off on his version. I expect the two will have prices which reflect that difference to some extent - there should be a replica for everyone's budget soon enough. For what it's worth, I'd avoid those eBay jackets. They look wrong in so many ways. It's one thing to lose the ridge, another thing entirely to have it fit and hang wrong or to use navy in place of black, IMO.

Indy & Zlurpo, I owe you some "whole jacket" pics and broad measurements - I'll get those to you this week!

The jacket with the vertical pocket did make it into the film - several versions (all meant to represent the same jacket, narratively) are seen on screen. None of the film-used black jackets are still available, though some close ones can be found.

The grey jacket which supplied the arms, collar, cuffs, and waist actually never made it to stores to begin with, as it turns out. It was from a limited run of prototype jackets which Topshop must have supplied in response to the costume designer's request for varsity and bomber jackets. Courtney Hoffman and Edgar Wright must have really liked the Topman jackets' look, the way they fit Elgort, and the ridge detail on the ribbed material, because they made the concession to cobble together less consistent jackets in order to use them.

We have one of the prototype greys and one of the original black jackets; I'm supplying Zlurpo and Indy Magnoli with reference to make replicas. They both do nice work, though I believe Zlurpo's already conceded that his won't feature the ridges on the ribbed waist and cuffs. I know Indy often gets into more custom weaves/materials, and I'm hoping he might pull that off on his version. I expect the two will have prices which reflect that difference to some extent - there should be a replica for everyone's budget soon enough. For what it's worth, I'd avoid those eBay jackets. They look wrong in so many ways. It's one thing to lose the ridge, another thing entirely to have it fit and hang wrong or to use navy in place of black, IMO.

Indy & Zlurpo, I owe you some "whole jacket" pics and broad measurements - I'll get those to you this week!

Why did I see an xsmall version of the grey one on eBay about a month ago? Also if you search with google image you can find official picture of a model wearing it.
b5f0ff1170aadf97b22b6e01cc390de1.jpg

$_57.JPG

Attachments

• topman-grey-cotton-bomber-jacket-original-182213.jpg
    topman-grey-cotton-bomber-jacket-original-182213.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back