Alien Covenant Thales F90 Build - Completed!

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I decided to build a replica of the assault rifle used by Daniels and other members of The Covenant crew to go with my collection of weaponry from the Aliens movies :)

5wx9xi.jpg

The weapon in the movie is a Thales F-90 with a custom 3D printed handguard and off-the shelf accessories. My primary reference has been captures from the Adam Savage Tested video and pics and dims from the Thales website.

mbscp5.jpg

33uza8o.jpg

The main challenge with the project is that there is currently no replica of the F90 available, so my start point was a JG Works Steyr Aug airsoft stock I picked up from Ebay. The AUG is very similar to the F90, with a few significant differences.

My first task was cutting the additional ports above the handgrip, and removing the little fin at the bottom of the rear of the Aug stock.
15g8bqq.jpg
300vci0.jpg

To add the fin-shape indents the stock, I cut new panels from HIPS plastic then started filling all the gaps and seams with Milliput.
34qwtbc.jpg
2q9cf9g.jpg

Same technique for modifying the hand grip to the F90 style
avnewl.jpg
fm2bgz.jpg

Top fin then sculpted and attached, and everything sanded and primed:
30rl554.jpg
29ff7gk.jpg

Next up will be building the custom handguard :)

Last edited:
Re: Alien Covenant Thales F90 Build

oh man thts freaking beautiful, never thought id see the day this would be made lol

What are the plans to the forward railguard? 3D printing?

oh man thts freaking beautiful, never thought id see the day this would be made lol

What are the plans to the forward railguard? 3D printing?

The parts are laser cut from 3mm acrylic sheet then assembled together. Will post some pics tomorrow :thumbsup

Not putting a stopwatch to you, but how long would you guesstimate it would take to build it? :eek

BTW, it looks fantastic!

Not putting a stopwatch to you, but how long would you guesstimate it would take to build it? :eek

BTW, it looks fantastic!

Probably about a month, on and off? I had to order most of the off-the shelf stuff from China, so have been doing bits and pieces as they arrive.

Here's some pics of the the handguard being built. Laser-cut parts before assembly:

2zzkig7.jpg

Glued and filled:

x3ft40.jpg

Sanded and primed. I still need to add the raised vents at the receiver end, and the top and bottom rails.

91mgj4.jpg

30ikdo0.jpg

I have an AUG I thought about converting, but I think I threw away the airsoft rail I had!

Finally got the main FN build done :)

Lots of detail had to be completeley scratch-built - all of the receiver parts, the cocking handle, side rail and lower section of the top rail and the butt-plate (which differs from the Aug).

Moving on now to finish up the hanguard, modify the flash hider and finally add on the scope, barrel, laser and hand-grip.

10pcyur.jpg

21euwcy.jpg

2v001v4.jpg

Is this the rifle Ledward uses in the film? Can't find any promo images of him and a weapon.

Into the home stretch.

The handguard finished and weathered

ivjwv5.jpg

2qa65c9.jpg

The Aug flash hider differs from the F90 in having vents that are open to top. I glued in some small wedges of plastic, then filled, sanded and painted.

ev6gs0.jpg

2zof6oj.jpg

30wnu43.jpg

Over the weekend I will be putting everything together and putting this one to bed :)

Finished the build on this bad boy last weekend, but only just got the sling through today, so I thought I'd wait to take final pics.

The laser appears to be an exact match to the one used in the movie and can be be found here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...9391bc09fa565dbf-1500575866318-05086-VnYZvQVf

The folding handgrip is a style available from many airsoft and Ebay outlets. The only one with a badge I could find is the G&P one here: http://gpairsoft-uk.com/shop/en/50969-gp-airsoft-ras-folding-grip-black-gp918b-for-airsoft-gun.html

Scope is a repilca ACOG sight from Ebay. It's not a spot-on match to the one in the movie, but it fitted my budget and looks the part. Sling is a cheap Ebay 1 point. Last part to replicate was the F90 gas adjuster which I realised sits inside the open port on the right side of the handguard.

So here it is!

x1zn8k.jpg

2r2oj9e.jpg

2dbnqsn.jpg

24dla94.jpg

2cgbl79.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back