[Updated 7/9/17] Simulating Damascus steel with aluminum tape

20170712_105056-01.jpeg
Finished the sword a couple days ago. It isn't perfect, but a little jank never hurt anyone. I'll have a writeup ready at some point in the near future because I'm a very slow writer. For now, here's a link to a Google Photos album with some photos and videos of the build:
https://goo.gl/photos/ydA6UQoaK3uX1qXe6

The photos are in chronological order, so you'll have to scroll around to find Oathkeeper, but they do show the majority of the workflow.

If you've got questions, ask 'em here and I'll try to sound like I know what I'm talking about :)

The Damascus effect is bang on. It's a shame nobody has come up with a good method of ensuring no wrinkles in foil tape, which is what always gives it away. Get to work on that next and you'll REALLY have something. :)

-Rog

I was just Googling up ways to make a Damascus steel pattern, and happened to stumble on your thread — and WOW. I have never tried toner transfers (I even have trouble understanding it from the get-go) but this is amazing stuff. I'm looking forward to that in-depth tutorial when you turn it out!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back