The Mummy Returns (2001) - Egyptian Calendar Book

RobertMuldoon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
There was thread (https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=206737) started over in the paper props section, in 2014 by a now banned person, asking about a book you see really briefly in The Mummy Returns (2001). The short version of the 9 page thread is that after a few of us did a tonne of research we found the pages you see are completely made up for the film, out of various sources. We also put together as close as facsimile of the pages you see on screen as possible.

I’d spent so long researching, buying the reference books the prop department used originally and creating new sets of hieroglyphs that I felt I had to have a copy of the book in my collection. Book binding is quite fun too :D

The book is a half leather (ie spine and corners, with paper on the covers). You don’t see the inside covers of the book, but I decided I wanted it to have a nice contrast to the darker exterior and chose to use an historic German designed orange and red marbled paper. I couldn’t find anything close to the paper used on the outside covers, so I commissioned something similar.

Here are some of the WIP photos I took. Once I had printed out the four pages I had made content for, I folded those and all the blank pages to form 4 page signatures:
DSC_2013.JPG

They were then all marked for the holes to be punched in them (Cthulhu cuneiform tablets make great paperweights):
DSC_2017.JPG

Then lots of sewing happened, using waxed linen thread:
DSC_2020.JPGDSC_2019.JPGDSC_2018.JPGDSC_2023.JPGDSC_2022.JPG

Once the textblock was all sewn together I clamped it in my bookpress and gave its spine two coats of PVA glue. I also glued on two headbanding strips. I didn’t take a photo of that.

Whilst the glue was drying I started making the spine. I cut a piece of leather big enough that it covered the spine and about a quarter of each cover. I also made the cover spine out of bookboard, with bookboard stuck on for ridges, and gave it a gentle curve:
DSC_2024.JPGDSC_2025.JPG

The leather was then glued onto the curved spine and tied up and let dry:

Once it’d dried I also glued on the two covers:
DSC_2030.JPG

I cut out leather corners for both front and back (the stack looks big because I was making two books at once) and stuck those to the bookboard covers:
DSC_2037.JPGDSC_2036.JPGDSC_2035.JPGDSC_2033.JPGDSC_2040.JPG

I then cut out the cover papers and glued those to the two covers:
DSC_2052.JPGDSC_2053.JPG

Whilst that was drying I cut out two marbled pages for the front and back of the textblock, these are then what are glued on to the cover to join everything together, once they’d glued on I added a piece of Kraft paper over the spine and the around a third to half of the liner pages to reinforce everything:
DSC_2060.JPGDSC_2061.JPG

Finally the marbled inside cover pages were glued onto the outer covers and left to dry with some heavy weights on them. I’m not going to post the finished book until next week, because I don’t want its new owner seeing this and it ruining the surprise. So more photos to follow soon :D

All finished and now with its new owner.

I found a nice ex libris on the Interwebs and did a little PS work to make it say that it's from Evy's library. I printed that on a cream coloured paper and stuck it in the front. It's another detail you don't see in the film, but I felt should be there as a part of the book's narrative.

Final glamour shots:
20170628-YearOfTheScorpion-2.jpg20170628-YearOfTheScorpion.jpg20170628-YearOfTheScorpion-3.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back