Time for an upgrade! [Smith/Capaldi era Cyberman helmet]

ThrashWolf

Hi guys, Hope I'm posting this in the right section, been a long time since I've been active here on the RPF. This is something I've been working on for a good while. I've just been doing a wee bit now and again when I have the time, but I feel I've done enough that A) I have something actually worth posting about, and B) will actually finish it at some point.

All parts were 3D printed, and the .STL files were created by ZBrushCentral user Piggyson.

Current status:
More work done on the helmet's right side (our left). It's slowly but surely taking shape as I further refine various areas on that side before I tackle the 'earmuff' part.

DEuzCf7XkAAgTRo.jpg

The story so far...

Firstly, all the parts were printed using my lovely wee 3D printer, a Chinese prusa i3 clone. While I could adjust the printer for a much higher quality, the parts came out good enough for my purposes. The .STL files were sliced in Simplify3D and were printed at (iirc) .2mm layer height with 15% infill.
yMoPZzi.jpg

As each part was printed, I used a wee bit of hotsnot to tack them together, just to make sure everything was printing properly. The three parts that make up the back half of the helmet aren't shown here, but you get the idea. It's a Cyberman.
UmYDHmE.jpg

Once all the parts were done, it was time to actually start construction! I glued the face together with epoxy, and while I was waiting for that to cure, started on making the jaw quite a bit smoother using wood filler, which gets right into all the small layers of the printed parts, and is super easy to sand.
u6B5rKn.jpg

I3ZGRIi.jpg

After the mask was glued onto the jaw, I used milliput to begin hiding the seams. It was at this point I realised things were getting real messy, so I made some 'adjustments' to my spare room, turning it into a sort of workshop. Having a specific place to work in my flat has really boosted how much I actually work on things like this, I'm really glad I decided to do it.
BvM1Tgs.jpg

FzstTKv.jpg

Next up was a coat of filler primer, followed by sanding, and then wood filler. On the left hand bunny ear, you can see the milliput from where I accidentally snapped it off and had to repair it. To do that, I smushed milliput into both parts, then inserted two small metal pins to keep them securely together. It cleaned up nicely and really saved my bacon. Milliput is great!
mttlrhr.jpg

Finally, it seemed it was smooth enough for a test paint. For some reason, the grey plastic, white filler and orange primer all came together to make it really tough to see if things were actually smooth or not, like some kind of weird optical illusion. after a quick coat of silver, it was clear that it was! Some very small details still need touched up, and I've returned/will return to these later. The whole helmet will get sanded with 400grit sandpaper to remove any paint and leave a very fine surface once it's done, that way it'll look great after the final coats of primer & paint will look fantastic!
CnsTJg4.jpg
xdREeQ8.jpg

The front top getting the filler primer/test coat treatment. This was originally two pieces that got joined together. The fins were a massive ballache so I decided to treat them as a separate part. They're looking a wee bit better now, but aren't finished yet.

ZeKM78u.jpg
p2HAruq.jpg

The left 'ear' glued into place, and I started to add milliput to the mouth to remove the soft edges that make it appear to be smiling. The handles are only there because I got excited that it's actually starting to look like a Cyberman >.>
22sWE3f.jpg

And that's it, for now at least. I try to do at least a little bit of work on the helmet daily, and while there's not always something exciting to share, you can hopefully expect semi-frequent updates.​

Last edited:
Apologies for the lack of updates.

I spent a couple of days in Cardiff, so in addition to visiting as many Who/Torchwood filming locations as possible, I went to the Doctor Who Experience. As well as enjoying every second and accidentally touching things I wasn't supposed to, I got a lot of reference pics for both the Earthshock & Cyberiad era costumes. I'll get them uploaded at some point, but if anyone'd like me to share them sooner just let me know.

I have to say that getting to see the actual props up close has really boosted my confidence. You don't see it so well in the programme, but they all have imperfections that make them look less like the mass produced, perfect exoskeletons that they are on TV, and more like the human-made props they really are. I'm going to continue to try and get this helmet as perfect as I can within my abilities, but getting my hands on the actual factual props has been great for making sure I don't make unreasonable goals for this project.

Now that I'm back and recovered, work has resumed on the helm. All the gaps on the right ear have been filled and the area has been sanded/woodfilled/covered in miliput a few times. I also further sorted out the mouth. Both the mouth and the right 'ear' are getting closer to looking good, but there are a few more things I need to do before I'm happy with them. I gave it a test spray and while it's looking good, I know I can improve it further.

DEuzCf7XkAAgTRo.jpg

Here's a pic of me balancing the helmet on my noggin as best I can while listening to music. Once I get the right handle all finished up I could trick people into thinking I've finished the project! The camera does a great job of hiding just how unfinished the helm really is. I've got a lot more work ahead of me, but in a weird way I'm looking forward to it. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. Once I've gotten the rest of it sorted, I'll be moving onto getting the 'earmuff' all touched up and smooth, as I've not even begun work on that part.

This is looking awesome, and thanks so much for mentioning the guy who created the model. I tracked it down and downloaded it myself to make Handles. Been hoping somebody would turn out a model some day and this one is great. I'll be watching your progress.

This is looking awesome, and thanks so much for mentioning the guy who created the model. I tracked it down and downloaded it myself to make Handles. Been hoping somebody would turn out a model some day and this one is great. I'll be watching your progress.

Thanks so much! I wasn't/am not sure about linking to other forums so decided to play it safe, but there's no way I couldn't credit them. Their work is outstanding and without their modelling work this wee project of mine wouldn't exist! Plus I'm a big hippy who thinks digital information should be free. Share & share alike etc ;P

Once I'm finished that's one of the first things I'm planning on doing! I want to see how the helmets look cold cast, if the answer is 'really good!' then an Alexa/Google Home enabled Handles will be getting a lovely metallic finish.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back