Tom's ANH Stunt Graflex

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi y'all

I've started work on a stunt lightsaber from A New Hope.

As far as we can tell, it's a tube, cut to look like a graflex and decorated.

Over the years it's been a rotating electronic prop and a static allen screw lightsaber with Aluminum stock for a core. It's been bare, then had a black painted tip for Vader's fight with Ob1...then stripped again and eventually had Gaffer's tape applied to the graflex clamp and the emitter.

Posting some pictures in what I believe to be chronological order - credit where credit's due if they're yours!
lukeobigraflex_scottjua.jpg - Scott Juarez
Picture 68.png - Post ANH promo shoot
DVDbespin006-vi.jpg - ESB Behind the Scenes
star-wars-episode-v-the-empire-strikes-back.jpg - Ditto

Screen Shot 2015-04-10 at 4.24.06 PM.png - Recent Archives shot with taped emitter, Allen screws, missing grips & glue residue and an extra bladed insert in the foreground with matching countersunk holes

The tube may be something stronger like Stainless Steel but with my tools and ability I can really only confidently work with aluminum - until I can get someone to make me one haha

So here's where I'm starting. This was a grey aluminum tube with printed codes on the side like you'd get from any metal shop. I used a jigsaw, dremel and hand files to shape it to a graflex shape - taken like Indiana Jones with graphite, paper and @redbutton 's ANH graflex. Later, I found out the real shape is more like a 45º angle thats been sculpted at the top, but I like mine more!

I used 250 grit sandpaper and then a much higher grit to polish this thing up - easily scratched tho :(

Trying to figure out how to attach the knobs/buttons correctly..any help or opinions are greatly appreciated
DSCN4294.jpgDSCN4295.jpgDSCN4297.jpg

Edit: I've oriented my clamp to match the post ANH promo shoot, best I can gather!

I have used brushed stainless steel handicap supports that look near identical to a graflex in diameter, thickness and finish. You'll see them in bathrooms. I have found them at thrift stores on occasion. Expensive new.

tom I'm very excited for this! i have wanted to do this for awhile, but i haven't studied hard enough. your first post shows how much dedication you already have into gathering the facts. i for one over looked that 45* angle.

yours looks much better!

as for the stainless rod, idk if they would have used stainless. stainless is a much heavier metal, and dents easy. i thought i read that the vader and obi wan stunts were wood. and that they replaced them multiple times because they would break while dueling.. and is the reason why they went to metal (golf clubs/ tank antennas) again i can't remember where i read this or if there is any truth to it

but it always stuck out to me " why would they use wood?!"

there was another build with a actual electric motor that spun the blade... i forgot the creators name ( and this is the second time I've brought this up) but he has a youtube video. ill try and dig it up, he may be able to help you with buttons

the red button on this stunt isn't a graflex button right? its something else?

another question i have is the bottom open? the picture of the saber on the table (last pic) is very small i can't see if the tubes bottom is open still

again tom, I'm really excited to see this build!

Thanks man!

To answer questions, I'll note them out too :)

1) I meant for the body - I used aluminum and it's maybe 1/16 or a little more in thickness.

2) it IS a red button - early telegraph style!

dvanh_stunt.jpg

3)so far - I think the bottom is open. You can see it in the ANH duel with wires hanging out, and it's empty today in the archives. but ONE photo from ANH shows a cap with a hole in the center

How many grips are on this damn thing?

- - - Updated - - -

I may skip the guts and blade for now - tried to rig that up earlier in another saber and failed :lol

- - - Updated - - -

I have used brushed stainless steel handicap supports that look near identical to a graflex in diameter, thickness and finish. You'll see them in bathrooms. I have found them at thrift stores on occasion. Expensive new.

I'll keep my eye out!

any ideas on how this was constructed? :lol

Thanks man!

To answer questions, I'll note them out too :)

1) I meant for the body - I used aluminum and it's maybe 1/16 or a little more in thickness.

2) it IS a red button - early telegraph style!

View attachment 739132

3)so far - I think the bottom is open. You can see it in the ANH duel with wires hanging out, and it's empty today in the archives. but ONE photo from ANH shows a cap with a hole in the center

How many grips are on this damn thing?

- - - Updated - - -

I may skip the guts and blade for now - tried to rig that up earlier in another saber and failed :lol

thats my favorite kind of button!! where did you happen to grab your tube from? i remember in the very old days we use to make sabers out of chrome sink tube lol thats the first thing i think of every time this saber is brought up

but you and i are in the same boat, wanting to make this baby spin! the r2 builders use a pittman motor to spin the dome... it may be too big to fit inside the tube. but it sure would have enough power to spin the blade

thats my favorite kind of button!! where did you happen to grab your tube from? i remember in the very old days we use to make sabers out of chrome sink tube lol thats the first thing i think of every time this saber is brought up

but you and i are in the same boat, wanting to make this baby spin! the r2 builders use a pittman motor to spin the dome... it may be too big to fit inside the tube. but it sure would have enough power to spin the blade

raw aluminum tube from ebay! 1 foot, chose the thickness of metal and clicked buy it now....I was able to polish it up with different grits of sandpaper

1-1/2 diameter? you got the clamp on there perfectly! thats why i asked
correct. :) I think it was in US or mm but that was the primary dimension I searched for. I had to keep retightening the clamp, which can leave scratches

The clamp's on upside down I'm 99% sure early on at least, so mine is too :)

correct. :) I think it was in US or mm but that was the primary dimension I searched for. I had to keep retightening the clamp, which can leave scratches

The clamp's on upside down I'm 99% sure early on at least, so mine is too :)

i didnt notice the clamp upside down, man i still got a lot to learn about this saber

I just watched the YouTube video with roger again. Grabbed a pic, looks like they drilled holes on the sides to make it look like the brass pin holes.

Anyone else seeing this?
0f24f4519813a784df9d94212914debb.png

Also it's blurry as all heck but the bottom looks capped to me here
5dfdbc110dd7db05a02fe1813275df66.png

I love this hobby! You really made my day tom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im so glad!

In the Original Lightsaber found at LFL with Round Blade thread, we discuss those dark spots. They are Allen (hex) screws like on the Vader ROTJ saber, and are countersunk into a solid stock aluminum cylinder ...which has the round blade embedded in it somehow

In ANH there was one small tiny set screw where the left bolt is today, and a square spinning rod.

im so glad!

In the Original Lightsaber found at LFL with Round Blade thread, we discuss those dark spots. They are Allen (hex) screws like on the Vader ROTJ saber, and are countersunk into a solid stock aluminum cylinder ...which has the round blade embedded in it somehow

In ANH there was one small tiny set screw
where the left bolt is today, and a square spinning rod.

i noticed that for the first time today when you posted those pics. i never knew about the countersunk black screws though. wicked!

If the tube they used for the stunt was slightly larger than a real G R A F L E X ... it's even possible they used the bottom from a Kobold as the endcap, hence that weird black hole in the center when Vader is attacking OB1 . . . or it's the known variant with a complete Kobold as substitute for the 3 Cell bottom in that picture :wacko

Chaïm

I've been busy working all day, haven't had a single minute to check the forums. jumped on now looking forward to see what tom is up to today. c'mon buddy dont hold out! I've been thinking of your build all day long lol no joke!

have i mentioned how excited i am for this?! :devil

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back