Realistic (rubber?) snake help

korigirl

I have been brainstorming concepts on how to create realistic fake snakes and while I have some ideas that may work, I don't think I've found my holy grail yet. I would like to create snakes that look something like the images below (credit: Rogers Garden Halloween 2015). The snakes do not need to move (although that would be amazing.. a tutorial for another day I'm sure), but I do want those beautiful curves.

The best idea I've come up with thus far is to use foam tubing (like you'd find at Lowe's or Home Depot), insert wire, taper tail, sculpt head and attach to foam, then plasti dip it to create the rubber effect. Paint with fishnet hosiery to get the scales. It sounds like it will work in theory, but I've yet to test it.

Any other ideas? I would just buy a ton of snakes but unfortunately haven't found that money tree yet. I want to make a bunch of them.

RogersGardens_Halloween2015_IMG_0154.jpg
RogersGardens_Halloween2015_IMG_1057.jpg

This may seem silly, but have you considered just buying them off the shelf? Whats the total cost breakdown in materials for fabrication vs the end amount of off the shelf snakes you would need to purchase?

This may seem silly, but have you considered just buying them off the shelf? Whats the total cost breakdown in materials for fabrication vs the end amount of off the shelf snakes you would need to purchase?

I don't have a solid fabrication method yet, so I cannot calculate a cost breakdown. However, with large realistic snakes being about $12-$30 per snake, I can't imagine I can't figure out a way to do it cheaper. Especially since I want a lot of them.

Depends on the species you want to use. If you just want "generic snake" you could probably buy a bunch of rubber ones from a dollar store. If you want a couple species, I've go a bit more realistic. For a rattler, may I recommend this one? https://www.safariltd.com/incredible-creatures-eastern-diamondback-rattlesnake-figurines-269329

Just buy a few and chop them up and reposition them in different poses. I have one I use to keep the rabbits out of my garden, and maybe scare the neighbors when they walk past too.

When you want a lot of something, molding and casting is often your friend, especially if realism is what you're going for. Suppose you sculpt a snake and do a 2 part plaster mold of it, then pour them up as latex filled with soft ployfoam and armature wire inside. It's still probably going to cost you $10+ per snake.

If you really want a lot, I'd consider buying a bunch of cheap ones for filler, possibly giving them a repaint, and some nicer ones, whether purchased or handmade, for the featured ones.

Or you buy your rubber snakes wholesale or in bulk from a place like Oriental Trading Co. or Amazon – that'll reduce the cost per snake.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back