Lightsaber SMD blade question

IamSteve

Hey all!

So i was at Belfast MCM Comic con this weekend, it was a blast!

I picked up this saber for £45. Full metal hilt and the blade is quite bright, theres no sound however which is unfortunate but i can do without for so cheap.

saber.jpg

I gave it a paint job for a bit of weathering and quite like how it came out.

saberpaint.jpg

While taking it apart i decided to have a closer look at how the blade worked. Its fully removeable and on closer inspection i was able to easily unscrew the adapter that plugs into the hilt to reveal the SMD strip.

sabersmd.jpg

So what im looking to know is peoples experiences with this kind of set up. In dim light the blade gives a very even colour/brightness and being double walled polycarbonate it would be a good duelling blade. Really what i need is just additional SMD strips in different colours that i could put inside the blade to change it when i need to, i just haven't been able to find anything online other than single sided strips and none of them are as small as the LED's on this strip (there is 165 per side i think).

theres more pictures of it available Here

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Steve

I'd recommend against duelling with a strip led blade simply because you kill one led and a whole blade section(or whole blade if it's a single strip) will go out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'd recommend against duelling with a strip led blade simply because you kill one led and a whole blade section(or whole blade if it's a single strip) will go out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

To be honest i probably wont really be using it for duelling, just a nice display!

- - - Updated - - -

Just a picture of the connectors in case anyone asks!

DSC_0033.JPG

Nice paintjob ... I'd leave this saber as is and enjoy it ... then get another to tinker with + sound fx :)

Chaïm

Nice paintjob ... I'd leave this saber as is and enjoy it ... then get another to tinker with + sound fx :)

Chaïm

Thank you! To be honest i don't plan on really doing anything other than attempting to mimic the electronics, starting with trying to make alternative coloured blades.

Finished the paint job and now to just figure out these electronics!

DSC_0037.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG
DSC_0042.JPG

Over all, for £45 im really happy with this. Hopefully i can get assistance in the electroncs!

What you need to do is post some pics of the string blade NOT lit up.....

so people can direct on what to do..

Are they 5050 sized/packaged LEDS on the strip?

Is there any sort of driver/control board inside? (or direct drive from battery pack?)

Nice! Great saber for the price and a wonderful weathering job! I kinda liked it with the brass/gold on there, but that's just me :D
(I really should finish up my sabers one of these days, there's been at least two major leaps in tech since I last tinkered)

What you need to do is post some pics of the string blade NOT lit up.....

so people can direct on what to do..

Are they 5050 sized/packaged LEDS on the strip?

Is there any sort of driver/control board inside? (or direct drive from battery pack?)

Hey! thanks for your reply! Im pretty much a newbie when it comes to electronics so ill do what i can to answer.

DSC_0056.JPGDSC_0057.JPGDSC_0058.JPGDSC_0059.JPG

Size wise i think the SMD's are 3014.

I've decided as well to attempt to replicate this setup for my 3d printed sabers. Just for nice decoration! So any tips would be appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

Nice! Great saber for the price and a wonderful weathering job! I kinda liked it with the brass/gold on there, but that's just me :D
(I really should finish up my sabers one of these days, there's been at least two major leaps in tech since I last tinkered)

DSC_0060.JPG

The brass is still there dude! Just weathered like the rest of it! Thanks for your comments! :D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back