Clean foam dremeling?

LucaLouise

Hi guys!

I'm about to start a new foam project in a few days, but it involves dremeling on the edges. My question is, how do you all get such clean dremel work? Mine always comes out chunky and uneven. I'm trying to get a smooth as possible look on the edges but right now I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance!

Hey LucaLouise!

I use a moderate to high speed with a light touch with a regular drum sander bit. Slower speeds sanded more aggressively will grab the foam and tear it up. Just do a pass with a high grit sanding sponge after and heat seal. If the texture is still a little too much, keep going back with the sanding sponge and heat seal it again. Also, you can run your finger along the edge while it is still warm after the heat seal and that can help smooth it out. As long as the texture is minimal, whatever you are coating your foam with should take care of filing the tiny imperfections (i.e. a solid 2 coats of Plasti Dip).

And of course, practice on spare foam first!

Here's a good video for some more techniques.

What BriceGielgens said but i would add get some bondo (or something similar) and sand paper and just fix anything you might mess up. AND, don't be too afraid to mess up. Most mistakes with foam can be fixed so just have fun and don't get too serious :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back