Gloss coats getting less glossy?

jusdrewit

Sr Member
Help, I'm working on a statue/model, and I've applied several coats of Krylon clear gloss which looked fantastic, however certain parts where masked off and after removing the masking tape I recoated the figure and again after a few hours. I left it outside in the hot 110 degree Arizona sun and now it seems the model is almost matte. I reapplied yet another coat this morning and it's still not as glossy anymore. Can too much gloss coats have the opposite effect? Did the sun have a negative affect? Should I try purchasing a lacquer, varnish of some kind to get the super gloss look again? Any tips, Thanks!

Last edited:
Unless it's a 2 pak paint system, all paint systems can suffer from 'blush' which kills the gloss. Lacquer, enamels and acrylics can all dull in intense direct heat.

If too much heat is applied to the drying time. Wait for it to become really dry and hard, them light sand and respray. Don't let it dry in intense direct sunlight.

I tend to do a lot more sanding at high grit between coats in warm weather, then do a final thicker coat and dry it inside.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back