Jumanji Board

imnotahero

It's always been something I had to build. I remember making paper versions of the Jumanji board back in kindergarten. So once I got some basic wood working tools, I knew what I had to make. I've been working on this on and off since Christmas and I've been documenting the whole process through timelapse to eventually make into a video, but I only just realized I hadn't stared a build thread here. So it's going to be a front heavy thread; Lots of catch up and then regular posts as I wrap this up:

IMG_1011.JPG
The wood part of the board is made of poplar and plywood from Home Depot. The paths for the tokens is cut from a thin sheet of wood from Michael's. Getting the wood hinges to work was a nightmare:
IMG_1116.jpgIMG_1408.JPG
The chisel work on the edges is all hand done; Time consuming, but not the worst part of the build. The leaf pattern on the token compartment lids was done with a Dremel:
IMG_1560.JPG
There are many long hours of photoshopping the lettering for the rules that are getting glossed over here, lol:
IMG_2268.jpg
I made silk screens for the instructions and printed them on thin wood inserts:
IMG_2291.JPGIMG_2318.jpg
Used a Varathane wood stain called Carrington:
IMG_2738.jpg
The face of the board is sculpted in monster clay on a sheet of plastic over a print-out of a 3D render of a production made casting of the relief sculpture. See Audrey2's thread about a 3D printed Jumanji board for the 3d render I used:
IMG_2144.JPGIMG_2359.JPGIMG_2365.jpg

Cast in Smoothcast 300 and a channel routed into the wood:
IMG_2462.JPG

Painted to match the film board. A trick I found was that the whole piece needs the golden yellow base coat and then washes of a burnt umber to get the landscape and weathering:
IMG_2668.JPGIMG_2681.JPG

Where I am so far:
IMG_2739.jpg

It feels close to done, but I still need to make the interior; the paths, the center dial, and the tokens. Please leave any questions you guys have since I glossed over months of progress.

I would love to know how you got the lid portion. I read Audrey's posts and at the time he wasn't releasing any 3D files

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all your board looks great so far! And in Audrey2's thread, on page 4, he provided a few views of what his 3D scan looked like. I printed one of the views out on sheets of paper (just realized my use of the word 'printed' was probably confusing in my first post) and I hand sculpted my lid out of monster clay on top of it.
Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 4.30.48 PM.png

I'm figuring out what research/ printable things I want to share and decided these are a good start as they didn't take more than a few minutes in photoshop to correct for perspective and they will be handy for someone just jumping into building a board.

The token compartment lid:
piece.jpg
The paths:
paths.jpg

So. Many. Leaves....

20048798_10212560186296281_2081698637_o.jpg

The track was cut out of a piece of 1/16 in veneer. Same stuff I used for the instruction inserts. That was primed and sanded with 1200 grit paper until it got a nice shine. The leaves are all monster clay, and I am being as accurate as my patience will allow. I plan to mold the board and cast it in resin.

Oh ****** the leaves on that are a nightmare to do. Even doing them digitally, when I could copy and paste similar ones nearly killed me. I have no idea how you have the patience to do it in clay by hand. I'm incredibly impressed!

Small updates.

Started doing test castings for the center bit. Trying to figure out how dark to go with it:
IMG_3202.JPG

Leeeeeeeaves, Forever leaves:

IMG_3245.JPG

And these little guys. I sculpted them both out of monster clay and have been casting them up like crazy. I've been trying to get the resin colored correctly so even if they scuff the paint it won't show bright white resin underneath. Had to invest in the standard harbor freight cheapo version of a pressure pot to get the monkey to be as bubble free as possible. The Rhino is just tinted smooth cast 300. The monkey is the translucent smooth cast 'color match' so I could make it look like jade.

IMG_3028.JPGIMG_2994.JPGIMG_3255.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3030.JPG
    IMG_3030.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_3023.JPG
    IMG_3023.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 373
  • IMG_3152.JPG
    IMG_3152.JPG
    841.9 KB · Views: 370
WoW...amazing result! Congratulation to your finished board and thanks for sharing the timelaps vid. Very cool and well done as well.
Most of the Video reminds me of my own built ;)

I would be interrested in more Details about the "silk Screens" you've done. What material did you used to Transfer the "text" of the board instructions for example?

omg this video is soooo mesmerising! I could have watched more of it!!! This is so freaking amazing!!! Also I had tingle when you threw the tokens... duuuude can't believe you even added the magnets!! Also can i live in your workshop? That's paradise for me as a graphic designer!!! I want to screen print and all haha! Thank you for sharing!!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back