3D Printing guys

Ben,

Not sure what you mean by make them. Are you asking if they can design them and print four of them? Some Sketchup files are not ready to print. There maybe some extra work involved in converting the Sketchup files to STL files so they can be printed. Not sure if you knew that.

Izzy

If you go to the model page, you can download the model yourself. The 3d warehouse recently added an option to make the model 3d printable upon upload. This one can be downloaded as an STL file. Take it over to Shapeways or any other service bureau and scale it to whatever size you want and see what they will charge you. If for some reason this model is not printable to your liking, then I would suggest asking for help in modifying it.

I had a look at it, and for some reason that site didn't allow downloading as an .STL. I downloaded it as a Collada .DAE file, which Shapeways can understand. It was able to take the file and set it up as a printable object.

The question is, is it printable at the size you want? Making it at "2700 scale" isn't a very meaningful request. Even though it's got a human figure for scale and you can guess what the intended scale is, I have no idea what you think is the right size for this thing! I'm presuming you want to use it as a detail part for an existing model, so you'd need to figure out what dimensions in millimetres are required.

Anyway. The basic problem with this particular design is that the guns are hollow, which makes them very thin and weak. That's fine if you want a large model, but at 1:2700 I'm guessing we're talking a tiny model that wouldn't be printable. So you need to convert the model into one with solid, perhaps thicker, guns, depending on the final size you want it to be.

Hmm. STL download worked for me just fine. I n any case, what NKG said is a good point. Assuming that the gun was scaled correctly in the picture, the man is 5' 10" tall, it would be way to small to print with any detail.
If I did the math right, the width of the whole model would be just shy of .07 inches wide. Teensy tiny in other words. How big should the gun be in real life??

Okay, so the whole model is unprintable - walls too thin, etc. So I did a quick and dirty crude conversion and made it into a printable object. However, even using the "Frosted Detail" Shapeways material, the object can't be printed smaller than 20mm in length. Any smaller than that and the barrels become less than 1mm in diameter, which is unprintable by Shapeways' rules.

Here's the file if you want to upload it to Shapeways and give it a go.

http://nkguy.com/temp/cannon.stl

Yep. nkg is correct. Way too small to print with any detail, if at all. Do the simple math. in real life, its an 8" gun. Inside barrel diameter is going to be 8". 8/2700 come out to be .0029 inches. That puts the size of the barrel right about the same diameter as a sewing needle.

Ben,

Not sure what you mean by make them. Are you asking if they can design them and print four of them? Some Sketchup files are not ready to print. There maybe some extra work involved in converting the Sketchup files to STL files so they can be printed. Not sure if you knew that.

Izzy
Thanks IzzyMel. To be honest I know nothing about 3d printing. All I know is I bought some shield generators off shapeways that were 3d printed and I know there are some super clever guys on here who do 3d printing :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back