Need help finding out if this Graflex Top is legit

CHalcyon82

I'm sorry for not posting this somewhere like the pre-existing topic ' Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica' but I didn't know if doing so would get the required views that I'd need in finding my answers.

I recently acquired a Graflex 3-Cell. In advance, the seller indicated that the clamp and the 'bulb release rivet' (if that's the correct term) were replicas but the top and bottom portion were authentic vintage. I had plans to get this and do a Graflex Hybrid (take elements from each version and make my little Frankenstein of a lightsaber). It finally arrived today but I noticed a few things about the top portion and I was wondering if someone could help me out in seeing if this is legit or not.

One of the things I noticed was the... black plastic thingy (sorry for not remembering the exact term for it)... below the bulb clamp was elevated higher than on other Graflex flashes. I don't know if it's a factory mistake or one of the previous owners tried to take this apart and incompetently put it back together. I also noticed that it's missing pins underneath where the button would normally be. Lastly, I think the internal mechanics might be broken. I've also included pictures of the button and glass eye, too.

Forgive me in advance for the quality of the photos but my normal camera (phone) bricked on me and I'm having to use a older camera that I can barely remember how to operate and it's temperamental as hell. Also, before I forget, I had two additional questions. Does anyone know how to reassemble the glass eye? The little sucker came apart on me shortly after it arrived and I've been banging my head in trying to fit the little bugger back together. Also, the bloody rivet is loose and has a habit of coming out. Can anyone recommend how to fix that?

You can see the images here: http://imgur.com/a/blTa0

For some reason I've been having mega-problems trying to upload the images here so I had to resort to imgur.com.

CHalcyon82 Sir I am happy to let you know you have my friend a very beautiful original graflex top. I've attached an image to this response so you can save it for future references if needed there's a couple that will help you identify a fake from an original. You can see that your screw is not flat at all and the black part has a tiny lip under it a fake one doesn't have the lip under it. Hope this helps out!
abe6658a9ee7284bb457a93015919e1d.jpg
920da6d8be2d49af3441e94e71b01919.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Attachments

• abe6658a9ee7284bb457a93015919e1d.jpg
    abe6658a9ee7284bb457a93015919e1d.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 920da6d8be2d49af3441e94e71b01919.jpg
    920da6d8be2d49af3441e94e71b01919.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 217
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there ... as you can see from the posted pictures above ... you could unscrew the set screw and then push back the black bakelite part a bit until it sits flush with the metal edge. It does seem someone tried to remove the guts and perhaps has tampered with the bunny ears rivet too ... push it in as far as it goes and then try to hammer on it lightly on the other side to create a lip so it can't pop out. As for the glass eye ... put the glass back in the cap holder with the lens facing outwards then push the spring against the flat glass side and place it back inside the tube ... the spring should keep the glass in :)

Chaïm

@CHalcyon82 Sir I am happy to let you know you have my friend a very beautiful original graflex top.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the assist! I'm glad to know it's legit.

Hi there ... as you can see from the posted pictures above ... you could unscrew the set screw and then push back the black bakelite part a bit until it sits flush with the metal edge. It does seem someone tried to remove the guts and perhaps has tampered with the bunny ears rivet too ... push it in as far as it goes and then try to hammer on it lightly on the other side to create a lip so it can't pop out. As for the glass eye ... put the glass back in the cap holder with the lens facing outwards then push the spring against the flat glass side and place it back inside the tube ... the spring should keep the glass in :)

Chaïm

Also, thanks Sym! I know you're an expert on these matters so I'm glad you joined in. Unfortunately I picked a bad time to have this arrive because my home is a mess and I couldn't even begin to tell you where any screwdrivers are so fixing the bakelite (I thought it was called something like that!) will have to wait. As for the guts, between my first post and now, I was able to come across one of my complete Graflex lightsabers in this mess and there's definitely a difference between the two. I initially wasn't sure if there was something missing or there might have been some variant design in play here but it looks like there's a chunk of the bottom portion of the guts missing. That part that should've helped hold in the glass eye securely. Because that's what's preventing your suggestion from being successful. Every time I've tried that, the spring falls out and so follows the glass eye.

As for the rivet, I think I'm gonna have to be forced to glue it. Has anyone ever tried out Gorilla Glue?

Hey CHalcyon82 ! It looks vintage to me too, but it also appears to me that you're missing the inner half of the pointer bulb holder (the black bakelight part, battery side).
6uSfDbu.jpg

b406XHg.jpg

Your pics seem to work O.K., maybe you missed it, but the "Insert Image" icon is the little framed tree, third from the right icon from the Smiley face icon.

Don't be afraid to tap that rivet in place, your beer tab's already missing, so swing away! Just be careful swinging!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm am NOT a fan of gorilla glue. Seems to break too easy after drying. Best glue I've ever used has been testers model glue, but then again that was 20 yrs ago so maybe different now. I plan to sell my vintage guts if its of any interest to you you can PM me. I replaced them with a SH blade holder so need the pins and bulb connector parts that make my blade plug but everything else is there. I have pics of what would come with it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back