Supernatural First Blade WIP

barbquebutt

Since making gifts seems to be the only thing that motivates me to build lately, I'm working on a sculpt of the First Blade from Supernatural as a gift for my dad's birthday/Father's Day.
09e8225bdc8047eb80a7aae416722ba4735bac2b_hq.jpg

I bought him a book that I later found out wasn't going to ship until October, so I was just going to give him a print out of the book description and call it good. Luckily, my family pushed his birthday/Father's Day celebration back a week, which gave me some extra time to come up with something.

We're both big fans of Supernatural and he always thought the First Blade looked cool, so I came up with this with only a few days to spare and my plan is to give this to him 4 days from now. Doesn't give me a ton of time to perfect and fine-tune the sculpt, but luckily it's supposed to look like bone, so it's a bit forgiving.

Anyway, here's my work so far.

I started out with a trip to Hobby Lobby. I knew I wanted to have a solid core for the knife, but I couldn't think of what to use. I happened past the wooden letters and found that the parallels of an MDF letter "H" were just about the right size for the handle and blade, and the serifs would make a good foundation for the flares of the bone.
IMG_4478.JPGIMG_4479.JPG

I cut the parts with a jigsaw, and then super glued them together. I was going to use wood glue, but I didn't have time for it to dry and couldn't think of a good way to clamp the pieces. Plus, the whole thing is getting coated in clay anyway, so it didn't have to be a super strong bond. I then realized that I glued the handle on backwards, so I snapped it off and glued it on again.
IMG_4480.JPGIMG_4483 (3).JPG

Never used Sculpey before (weird right?), but I knew that since I was going to be handling it a lot while working on it, I needed something that was going to be a little more resilient than normal clay. I thought about using the firm Sculpey, but decided that was a little too firm, so I went with just regular Super Sculpey.
IMG_4482.JPG

I started with the pommel to work on my bone sculpting technique on a smaller area. It took some time to get just the right shape I was looking for, but I got there eventually. I was pretty impressed with myself.
IMG_4484.JPGIMG_4485.JPG

Once I was satisfied with the pommel, I built up the handle and guard. I didn't spend a ton of time on the handle since it's ultimately going to be wrapped in leather, so I just gave it a basic shape and called it good. Since there's no real fine detail there, it also makes a good place to prop it up so the actual detail work doesn't get flattened when I have to set it down.
IMG_4486.JPG

Next, I started building up and roughing out the blade and the teeth. I think I'm gonna work on the teeth some more, because while they look like real donkey teeth in my opinion (the First Blade was fashioned from a donkey jawbone), they don't quite match the actual show prop. I'll see what I can do.
IMG_4487.JPG

And here's where I finished last night. When I get home I'll finish building up the blade and then start doing some detail work.
IMG_4488.JPG

Stay tuned for more updates.

Wow! Nice work! Been meaning to start working on one of these myself. Looking forward to seeing the finished blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Nice work! Been meaning to start working on one of these myself. Looking forward to seeing the finished blade.
Thanks! I appreciate it!

Okay so here's what I've been up to lately...

Picked up where I left off and worked on finishing out the shape of the tip of the blade.
c2fb050aba354ddb150c1d0d32e8ee48.jpg

Got the teeth at the end of the blade roughed out
b1b572f6a7c2832f9edcd716487bf2c1.jpg

Then I started on the detail work...
1fc17d4c16a86da761c66702b4d1a924.jpg

f1e86249fe8557745d874d52739521ff.jpg

12be5fe0f2b47b4aa6b619bb2640c096.jpg

Then into the oven. This is after the bake.
6d8484b00bb3dcad4255f5150c98a7ea.jpg

Then I took the rotary tool to it, tapering down the blade edge and grinding down clay flecks and other imperfections.
a3641be74f76b763d144206550ae1e15.jpg

I'm realizing it's not as screen-accurate as I'd like, especially because the curve at the end has more of an angle to it than I intended. But, I've often been told my obsessive attention to detail is unhealthy, and my dad likely won't even notice. So I'm not going to fret about it.

Started painting it. Not being able to use spray paint is frustrating, but oh well. This is about 3 coats of off-white and a watered-down wash of yellow.
48531b3d44ddc883fc40725fda29ef7e.jpg

af8ce67fd5ffede55135cb43b3f44223.jpg

Still working on painting, then I have to wrap the handle. The plan is to give this to my dad tomorrow, so fingers crossed I can get everything done today.

More updates later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, no sense in describing my painting process in detail, since it's not terribly interesting. After the off-white and washes with yellow, I started layering both coats AND washes of different shades of brown, black and grey. Tried to add extra depth in places where I may not have sculpted it. The teeth started out too white, so I did end up darkening and browning them up with some thin washes of dark brown.

IMG_4519.JPGIMG_4518.JPGIMG_4520.JPGIMG_4522.JPGIMG_4521.JPGIMG_4525.JPGIMG_4523.JPGIMG_4526.JPGIMG_4524.JPGIMG_4527.JPG

The handle wrap is made from some leather straps and a piece from a bag leather remnants I bought.
IMG_4531.JPGIMG_4529.JPGIMG_4532.JPGIMG_4530.JPGIMG_4536.JPG

Last edited:
Looks amazing, you did a great job! What did you use to prime it?
Thanks! I actually didn't prime it because Sculpey is so sensitive to paint. All I did to "prime" was give it a good fine grit sanding to rough up the surface a bit, but the Sculpey was already pretty receptive to the acrylic paint.

That is really cool. Did your Dad like it?
Thanks! Haha, yeah he did. Funny thing was when he opened it, he knew it recognized it but couldn't think of why off the top of his head. Once I told him what it was, his face lit up. I was surprised that I had to tell him that I'd made it (I thought it was obvious to look at it), but he was even more impressed when I told him that. Haha.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back