X-wing and snow speeder pilot controls

3Dsf

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey folks! So I'm looking at the cockpit designs of these familiar fictitious craft, and I'm trying to figure out how the pilots were supposed to control the vehicles. At least in terms of the portrayal of the control systems in the life-size sets.

It's clear that the Millennium Falcon had either just buttons and switches (Star Wars/ANH) or dual aircraft-style two-hand steering yokes (Empire Strikes Back and later). But it seems the X-wings may have had aircraft-style joystick handles between the pilots' legs, and the snow speeders might have had some sort of vertical handles to either side of the pilot's body. Does that seem right?

I've been trying to find photos of the sets to illustrate what the designers had in mind, but I haven't found that much. A view of the gunner's seat in the snowspeeder. Also, of course, for cockpit scenes the front of the cockpit simply wasn't there - the camera was. And they don't show the pilot's hands. So maybe it's a bit of a fools' errand trying to figure this out. :)

Thanks!

- nkg

Last edited:
Cool. Those images are a bit dark and hard to make out, but do seem to show a central X-wing joystick. Thanks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back