Marine mine Fireplace

3phase

Sr Member
OK my mate Marcel (marsattack) came to me as he did not have the skills to take on a job of this nature.

This is for himself and as I'm such a nice guy I said ill do it. Marcel supplied me with the 800mm spheres and a brass porthole that I picked up and brought them back to my hometown and started on it straight away. He can be an angry fella so I didn't want to make him wait to long.

Pics below of the build so far. Hardest thing is finding steel around the shed that is the correct size so I don't have to buy to much. Also trying to make it look accurate and keep Marcel happy is not easy.

Me cutting the first flange.
20170527_135522_zpsfpofjoyy.jpg

My daughter Brianna inspecting the flange to see if it meets Marcels high standards.
20170527_144901_zpsrnmowwxv.jpg

Base plate welded to bottom pipe. I drew this in cad and was laser cut as to much work doing them by hand.

20170609_164554_zpsyaviintz.jpg

Resized_20170610_175048_zps1u7rlnss.jpeg

Last edited:
Making the air vents. I drew these up in cad as well and had them laser cut

Resized_20170618_110602_zpszrr70l8o.jpeg

Resized_20170618_111608_zpstviyeiav.jpeg

20170618_165330_zpskcwgzlnl.jpg

I found these brass handles but Marcel doesn't like them and I have to agree. I will do something similar but in steel or marcel might get something he likes.
Resized_20170618_111612_zpsdjkorpr1.jpeg

Very funny Mr lloyd!!!
Amazing work and can't wait to pick up this weekend after only 6 months ???
Seriously you have done an outstanding job with this
I do have some more pics you sent and will post on its new home shortly.
Thank you for doing some homework on this and making it look better than a real mine.
IMG_4927.JPG

Haha
Sending picture of laser cut seaweed!!!
What you aren't mentioning is that the ring is 16mm thick rod
That would put a different perspective on size and job this has turned out to be!

Picking up this baby on the weekend from lloyd, over a BBQ
Then taking it to start the rusting and ageing process of the beast
Will upload photos of that aswell.
Huge thank you to you !!!
Mars

Wonderful bit of metal craft! Will it be a working fireplace? I didn't see the flue or chimney - where does the smoke go?
I second the comment on the welds - beautiful indeed!

Regards, Robert

Wonderful bit of metal craft! Will it be a working fireplace? I didn't see the flue or chimney - where does the smoke go?

Regards, Robert

Still a bit to do yet. Ill be back in the shed this arvo and hopfully finish this before marcell gets here tomorrow as dont want to be on his bad side. If you had seen him with his shirt off you would know what i mean

Almost done.

20170623_194419_zpslxfmycpi.jpg

20170623_194857_zpsmrcffe3k.jpg

Base pipe was to long.

20170623_200129_zps6djxczs5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Regards, Robert

I will have a flue ring on tomorrow.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back