Lost in Space 18" "Hero" Version build...update

MARK M3

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hero miniature" version. Here now is the Jupiter 2...My personal build reflecting all the details and imperfections of the original 4' hero miniature as seen in the second broadcast episode, "The Derelict". The model features an actual spinning scanner in the upper bubble as well as mechanical spinning lights in the engine. Both are controlled by a potentiometer and can be adjusted accordingly. The outer hull was airbrushed aluminum with a clear flat coat applied to reflect the original model. the side airlock hatch was not on the filming miniature so I filled in and sanded smooth the area. The interior features the "Derelict"interior scrim and four figures as well as scale lighting.

As I continue on my obsession of getting it "right", Ive learned that you can't just put a 32 Led chaser circuit in the core for the correct effect. . The Jupiter 2 (at least in the look of the episode I wanted, "The Derelict" ), Had six lights spinning counter clockwise. I have the ability to speed up the Lights and bubble scanner and recreate the footage from the series, since it was slowed down in the final footage. It's been an uphill battle but I am happy with my results for now. Next is my working landing gear...but that will have to wait for awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:

"Hero miniature" version. Here now is the Jupiter 2...My personal build reflecting all the details and imperfections of the original 4' hero miniature as seen in the second broadcast episode, "The Derelict". The model features an actual spinning scanner in the upper bubble as well as mechanical spinning lights in the engine. Both are controlled by a potentiometer and can be adjusted accordingly. The outer hull was airbrushed aluminum with a clear flat coat applied to reflect the original model. the side airlock hatch was not on the filming miniature so I filled in and sanded smooth the area. The interior features the "Derelict"interior scrim and four figures as well as scale lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very nice. What a wonderful obsession you have! But what about that motor?

The model has two Six Volt 60 rpm motors....One for the upper bubble scanner, the other for the Lights in the engine. I had them for a while now and put them to good use. Don't remember where I purchased them. It was four years ago. Hope this helps you!

Very nice buildup and videos!

Will be looking forward to your landing gear setup. Have you considered linear actuators to operate the legs? Worked well on my 24" J2. I would like to try it on a 18" Mobius also.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back