Removing cast during the curing process?

UnableToast

Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie in the mold making and casting universe, so any tips and advices are welcome! I'm sorry if I'm not using the right terms, I started reading about the process, but everything is still a little confusing. I think the best option for my last pieces of armor is to cast them.

The crown I'm working on is very angular. I thought of making it in Worbla like the rest of my armor, but I feel that it's would be way too heavy for what I need and to get the sharp edges, I would have to sand till the end of time. The wig is a struggle much of itself, still have to figure out how I will attach the crown to it (but this is another story). My idea was (and correct me if I'm wrong) to sculpt the crown out of clay, laying it flat. Then do a mold, and cast it out of something that cures quickly so maybe I could remove the cast before the curing process is completed and give it the curve that I need. Is it possible? Or is there another simpler way to do it? What product would you guys recommend me? I'm going to a Smooth On seller soon, when I have an idea of what to get.
http://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=17/24/1shd.png

Next is the little elbow/knee fins. I need to produce 6 of it. Again, I thought of doing it out of worbla but I'm still a little concerned about the weight and even the fragility of the thing. Since theses armor pieces are prone to get knocked and hit, maybe something that can flex a little could be a good option. I have some alginate laying around, to you think that could work for one of my molds?
http://zupimages.net/viewer.php?id=17/24/sxt9.jpg

Thanks a bunch!

I haven't played around with alginate so can't comment on that part.

Before the worbla craze people would have made that crown out of foam. It's quite easy to do the sharp edges in foam and heat it for the curve.
You could glue hair clips to the inside of the crown to get it to stay on the wig.

The worbla I've worked with has been strong enough to stick up to some knocks, though some people use a foam lining inside for extra flexibility to knocks.

You won't be able to cure resin in a mold of alginate, alginate is mostly water and will change shape due to the exothermic reaction of the resin curing. Alginate is good for plaster however.

Yes you can remove a part that is only partially cured and put it around something rigid to setup, (make sure you use a release agent on the rigid piece) I do this for a lot of things. There is no hard and fast rule/timing to it. You kind of have to play it by ear. Resin cures at different rates, temperature and humidity can vary that greatly.

I use resin from MPK when I am doing this, MPK 70 (180second). It has a very short pot life of at most three minutes and cures up in 15-25 minutes. I also find that the larger the casting is, the faster it sets up, again this is due to that exothermic reaction. You will probably have to try this several times before you get it right.

From my experience, you can not get a reliable bend with any casing material that can not be hammered. I would recommend either molding a ring out of resin to the desired dimensions, and then cut out what is needed; Saws files and rotary tools can work wonders...Or, you could make the crown out of sheet metal. for metal work if you desire a gold I would use sheet brass, and for silver/platinum I would use aluminum. buy some metal sheers, along with the same tools as previously mentioned, and Bobs your proverbial uncle.

A few years ago I tried to bend a cast while it was curing, and there were some major structural flaws.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back