Visor Material for Visitor sunglasses form the TV show V?

crowe t

I have a pair of reproduction sunglasses from the TV show V. they have a dark curved lens. The sunglasses that the lead alien Visitor characters wore had the lenses replaced with a flat clear smoke tint lens so the actors eyes could be seen.

I need a 1/16" thick flat smoke tint plastic to make a lens.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• 1240507_557879347612481_747930748_n.jpg
    1240507_557879347612481_747930748_n.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 3,662
  • 10013904_641607432573005_1818310300_n.jpg
    10013904_641607432573005_1818310300_n.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,370
  • IMG_3167.JPG
    IMG_3167.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 1,858
First: ... ahhhh, Jaaaane Baaaaadler.

It looks like the original had a slight flare out at the bottom of the frame, but I like yours better. Much more flattering.

I have some grey smoke material, but it's a thin replacement visor for a Bell motorsports helmet. Not big enough for big cool 80s style sunglasses.

Last edited:
First: ... ahhhh, Jaaaane Baaaaadler.

It looks like the original had a slight flare out at the bottom of the frame, but I like yours better. Much more flattering.

I have some grey smoke material, but it's a thin replacement visor for a Bell motorsports helmet. Not big enough for big cool 80s style sunglasses.

What's the thickness of the grey smoke material you have?

The replica pair I have is exactly the same shape as the originals. Here's a picture of the replica pair I have on the right and an original pair on the left. I think since I took the pictures very close a slight parallax error is causing the frames to look different. The ones the actors are wearing were most likely taken with a zoom lens.

Attachments

• IMG_3164 Small.jpg
    IMG_3164 Small.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 837
PET is just fine. Commonly used for vacforming visors for cosplay. It should work just fine for your purpose, but I'd do some practicing on some scraps till you get the perfect amount of tint first. The longer you leave the PET in the dye, the darker it gets.

EDIT: BTW, I'm jealous.... I've wanted a pair of those glasses for... omg..., 34 years.... I'm so old...

PET is just fine. Commonly used for vacforming visors for cosplay. It should work just fine for your purpose, but I'd do some practicing on some scraps till you get the perfect amount of tint first. The longer you leave the PET in the dye, the darker it gets.

EDIT: BTW, I'm jealous.... I've wanted a pair of those glasses for... omg..., 34 years.... I'm so old...

I don't have to dye the PET. I picked up window tint that's perfect. I'll apply the tint to the plastic.

The glasses are readily available now. Here's a link to them on E-bay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Visitor-Su...517436?hash=item41c5aff57c:g:iM8AAOxy0aBRpO9Y

Do you know of a good place to get PET clear plastic?

The glasses are readily available now. Here's a link to them on E-bay.

Do you know of a good place to get PET clear plastic?

Hang on... wiping tears from mine eyes.... Decent price, thanks for posting that link!

Well, after doing a quickie search, they have sheets of PETG in the thickness you want on Amazon, clicky

Hope that helps

Hang on... wiping tears from mine eyes.... Decent price, thanks for posting that link!

Well, after doing a quickie search, they have sheets of PETG in the thickness you want on Amazon, clicky

Hope that helps

I'm glad I was able to help you with the link for the Sunglasses. Thanks again for your help. The PETG you found is a great price too.

Those Sunglasses aren't the originals but they were made from an original set. I know who had them made. I have both originals and the reproductions.

In this picture an original set is on the left side and the reproduction set is on the right side. For the money the reproductions are just fine.

IMG_3164 Small.jpg

I got the PETC clear plastic. The only thing I noticed is it scratches easily.

Is there a particular PETG clear plastic I should be getting?

I tried the window tint on the PETG clear plastic and it doesn't work well. I used a squeegee and a solution of water with Johnson's Baby shampoo to install the tint and I still get some tiny air bubbles. It seems the tint is better on glass.

I need a brown/bronze shade.

Is there a color of either iDye Poly or Rit that will produce a brown/bronze shade?

Tamiya Smoke looks about right but since this is for sunglasses it'll eventually get touched.

IMG_9379.JPG

IMG_9380.JPG

IMG_9381.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back