My Zvezda Star Destroyer

Regarding lighting the Zvezda Star Destroyer...is anyone using a #80 size drill bit (0.0135 diameter) for 25mm fiber optic filament, and if so, how are you preventing the damn thing from breaking? I have steady hands and patience, but...one wrong twist of the pin vise and 'snap'... there goes another one. I need to buy a new Dremel next week, so maybe I'll try that route...

Regarding lighting the Zvezda Star Destroyer...is anyone using a #80 size drill bit (0.0135 diameter) for 25mm fiber optic filament, and if so, how are you preventing the damn thing from breaking? I have steady hands and patience, but...one wrong twist of the pin vise and 'snap'... there goes another one. I need to buy a new Dremel next week, so maybe I'll try that route...

A Dremel would turn too fast for this. You need a Tamiya drill to make these holes easier. Search here for Tamiya drill.

Regarding lighting the Zvezda Star Destroyer...is anyone using a #80 size drill bit (0.0135 diameter) for 25mm fiber optic filament, and if so, how are you preventing the damn thing from breaking?
I am. And I'm not :lol Buy them in bulk, and do what I didn't - remove as much of the actual support walls as you dare because drilling through double walls at weird angles on the upper superstructure is no fun. No. Fun. At all.

Initially, I made lots of holes for 0,25mm fibers with a 0,3mm drill bits with the Tamiya Drill, but have broken a LOT of them,,, After that, I changed bit size slightly (0,35) and have not broken them anymore... (strange, considering the minimal difference between the two..., but true. The new bits are more stronger)
Futhermore, fibers enter the holes much better, the 0,3 bit hole was tight.

Superglues - cyanoacrylates - can attack and destroy the plastic used in a lot of fibre optics. They make the plastic weak and brittle. The fumes can also fog up clear plastics.

As modellers, I'm pretty sure most of us know the drawbacks with superglue-regarding clear canopies etc.
That wasn't the question.;)
My experience of using it on 3d printed parts has been without issue.
Check my current build-if there were issues, would I be using it?

My point is that superglue is liquid and gets everywhere. And can destroy vulnerable adjacent components, such as fibre optics.

You can get it in a gel form now. It's much easier to work with and nowhere near messy. Just put a small blob where it's needed...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back