Bandai Ralph McQuarrie-ish concept X-wing

It's hard to say which way is right. There are examples of both ways in different paintings/drawings. Plenty of others also used the horizontal arrangement.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Yeah the horizontal flash hiders seem to be in Johnston's sketches, and aren't even visible in one of the paintings. But horizontal is an interesting variation, and seems more effective from the pilot's vantage point.

Yeah, its different and looks unique so Im probably going to keep that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG THIS IS EPIC!!! Love it love it love it. I'm probably going to steal this idea fyi. Hope you don't mind.

No problem.
Just for your info - I custom cut alot of the decals that came with the resistance fighter in order to make all those little markings on the McQuarrie x wing.

It's hard to say which way is right. There are examples of both ways in different paintings/drawings. Plenty of others also used the horizontal arrangement.

Yeah, ive always been under the impression that the McQuarrie painting with the rear view shot of the X-Wing (with the vertical flash hiders) is not the same design as his front view painting.

You can see the markings on the inner wings and the side of the fuselage dont really match up.

Yeah, ive always been under the impression that the McQuarrie painting with the rear view shot of the X-Wing (with the vertical flash hiders) is not the same design as his front view painting.

You can see the markings on the inner wings and the side of the fuselage dont really match up.

Is there a McQuarrie painting of the front view design that does show the flash hiders? The one I am aware of doesn't show them.

Is there a McQuarrie painting of the front view design that does show the flash hiders? The one I am aware of doesn't show them.

Theres this image that I posted earlier
0d4d249720aafad1d7526c898bc52f4f.jpg

That seems to McQuarries X wing...only thing is that its drawn by Joe Johnston but the flash hiders seem to be horizontal.

Last edited:
Theres this image that I posted earlier
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170620/0d4d249720aafad1d7526c898bc52f4f.jpg

That seems to McQuarries X wing...only thing is that its drawn by Joe Johnston but the flash hiders seem to be horizontal.

It seems to me that the two McQuarrie paintings and the Johnston drawing are slightly different versions of a similar design. The Johnston drawing has some differences compared to the front McQuarrie painting and lack of detail in other areas to match up.

Those drawings and paintings are all different, they were part of the design phase and depict different stages of development.

Those drawings and paintings are all different, they were part of the design phase and depict different stages of development.
I agree. Many of the concept drawings and paintings show different ideas for Lucas to evaluate or stages of development. Making a model of any of the concepts involves more choices by the model maker than the screen used ships. I like that since it gives the model maker more freedom and allows creativity without being criticized for not being screen accurate or ILM accurate.

Yes i know.
But in the past there have been resin kits which have incorporated elements from all these images.
I decided to incorporate the horizontal flash hider from the sketch.
So in essence the flash hider position is still rooted within the concept designs.

Love this!!! So cool congrats! Ive seen a few done like this but yours is my fav so far! :thumbsup

Ive got a spare T-70 for making a McQuarrie Concept like yours and i hope Bandai release the Ep8 A-wing as id love to make a blue Concept based on that too!

Thanks guys!
Im looking around to see if I can score one if the McQuarrie X Wing resin models that came out a few years ago.
Out of production and Hard to find.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back