Subscribe
    Jun 13, 2017, 4:37 PM - Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #1

Hey Fellow Crafters,
    Just posing a simple question really. I have seen so many things about spidey's homemade suit, but no one is really willing to try any of the VILLIANS of the movie? Is there any particular reason for the lack of love? I mean I kinda understand why there is no Shocker attempt yet, due to lack of actual reference. But the vulture already has an action figure, and several trailers and clips. What do you guys think?
    From
    Illinois, USA
    Jun 14, 2017, 2:15 PM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #2

I would LOVE to see someone attempt it, but the entire flight apparatus is a nightmare. The wingspan is long, which means there is certainly a mobility issue, but there's also the weight of it to consider. It would have to be constructed out of a material strong enough to support itself so far off the mounting point on your back, but light enough that you could wear it for a while without compressing your spine. I do not envy the person whose brain gets infected with the desire to build it, heh.
    From
    The Marvel Universe
    Jun 14, 2017, 5:11 PM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #3

Clay,the Vulture is definitely on my list of projects (see profile photo album),but it will be the (comic book) armored Vulture from the Life Theft story (Amazing Spider-man #386).
    From
    Pallet Town, Kanto
    Jun 15, 2017, 9:08 AM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #4

nah. too hard, too ugly, too expensive, not vulture enough...
    From
    Saint Augustine, Florida, United States
    Jun 15, 2017, 9:29 AM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #5

i mean, you could try to do a pvc armateur for the wings then maybe install electronics in the wings that run throught the pipe. @Vox is that possible?
    Jun 15, 2017, 9:33 AM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #6

Due to the absolutely humongous wingspan for Vulture in homecoming, you could do the while collapsible wing system that you could have released when you want them to be on display and when you want to move around just collapse them. Just a thought

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk
    From
    Saint Augustine, Florida, United States
    Jun 15, 2017, 9:35 AM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #7

skull splitt3r said: View Post
    Due to the absolutely humongous wingspan for Vulture in homecoming, you could do the while collapsible wing system that you could have released when you want them to be on display and when you want to move around just collapse them. Just a thought

i would do that along with an armateur for support reasons.
    Jun 15, 2017, 9:38 AM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #8

deathstroke132 said: View Post
    i would do that along with an armateur for support reasons.
    Whoops! Meant to say whole, stupid phone keyboard is to small I think you would need an armature to build the wings anyway right.

From
    Chicago
    Jun 15, 2017, 12:50 PM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #9

A "non-winged" Vulture would probably be more feasible. I mean, the look already is pretty unique, what with the blue flight pants, the distressed military flight jacket, and the mask:
    From
    Illinois, USA
    Jun 15, 2017, 5:43 PM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #10

deathstroke132 said: View Post
    i mean, you could try to do a pvc armateur for the wings then maybe install electronics in the wings that run throught the pipe. @Vox is that possible?
    I'd love to say that it is possible, but I think it is highly improbable. Here's a still from one of the trailers:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spiderman-homecoming-trailer-16.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	736611

Keaton is 5'9", for reference. Using that for scale, I would say those wings are at least 23 feet tip to tip. The further a wing extends from its mounting point, the stronger the material has to be to support it's own weight. Think about a tape measure tool: holding it in front of you, you start to pull the tape out (away from you), and the further it goes, the closer the tip sags toward the floor until it finally snaps under its own weight and collapses. (At which point you carefully let it retract back into its casing to avoid it flailing about and slicing you.) The more you move the tape as you pull it out, the sooner it is going to snap and fall.

To build this out of PVC, you would need some thick walled pipe so that its tensile strength could support its own weight. Unfortunately though, the thicker the walls, the heavier it will be, which would require some sort of rig to evenly distribute the weight on your body and make it possible to wear. Though even with that, I think the overall weight would be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. I never want to say never though. I absolutely have faith in the ingenuity of cosplayers everywhere to overcome obstacles like this. I have seen costumes in real life that would have left me stumped on how to manage building it. So with the knowledge I have of wings and what is needed in constructing them, the huge size of them makes me balk at how to build it in such a way that will capture both form and function. But that is not to say that it can't be done.
  11. RPF Premium Member 13doctorwho's Avatar
    From
    Houston, Texas
    Jun 15, 2017, 9:45 PM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #11

It's so simple, do them CGI like in the movie.
  12. Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Jun 16, 2017, 12:22 PM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #12

Best way would be carbon fiber

Envoyé de mon SM-G530W en utilisant Tapatalk
  13. RPF Premium Member Psicorp7's Avatar
    From
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Jun 16, 2017, 12:41 PM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #13

13doctorwho said: View Post
    It's so simple, do them CGI like in the movie.
    I would love to see someone do a MCU Vulture with lime green wing stubs that say "Wings added in Post-Production".
    Jun 18, 2017, 10:28 AM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #14

Maybe... I'm waiting for an okayish Vulture costume to be released so I can mod it so it looks awesome. Won't be doing the wings though.
    Jun 30, 2017, 2:37 PM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #15

Okay, I see your guys' point on the Vulture. It's just MASSIVE. But, what about the shocker(either one, cause there are two in the film)? It seems less of a mess to deal with, but it would be rather difficult depending on which one you choose.
    Jun 30, 2017, 4:51 PM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #16

What I’m wondering is what would be wrong with simply doing the vulture without the wings. They aren’t attached, it’s just an add on. It’s the equivalent of doing an iron man cosplay or doing a tony stark cosplay, I think. Both would be very cool. I mean I don’t want to discourage anyone who wants to take a crack at the wings I’m just saying it would still look rather sick with the full getup and the helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    The Marvel Universe
    Jun 30, 2017, 7:51 PM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #17

The wings are part of the character and therefore,in my view,inseparable.Then again,people have made custom versions of anything before.
  18. RPF Premium Member maffhewdc's Avatar
    Jun 30, 2017, 8:01 PM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #18

One could probably scale the wings down to a manageable size (such as the proportions of the figure) and design them so they could swing down so they won't bump into other people at cons

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 8.02.21 AM.png
Views: 537
Size:  129.5 KB
    From
    The Marvel Universe
    Jul 1, 2017, 11:27 AM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #19

matthewdelacruz said: View Post
    One could probably scale the wings down to a manageable size (such as the proportions of the figure) and design them so they could swing down so they won't bump into other people at cons
    That's the "Evil Falcon" concept Marvel didn't want to go with,but could have worked just fine.
    Jul 1, 2017, 4:40 PM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #20

George said: View Post
    That's the "Evil Falcon" concept Marvel didn't want to go with,but could have worked just fine.
    Man, you guys are good at this kinda thing. I salute all o' you guys
  21. RPF Premium Member maffhewdc's Avatar
    Jul 3, 2017, 2:47 AM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #21

judengvfx on instagram actually pulled off a pretty impressive Vulture wingspan from Toycon PH 2017. First time I saw someone actually try this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 2.47.31 PM.png 
Views:	504 
Size:	628.6 KB 
ID:	740690
    From
    The Marvel Universe
    Jul 3, 2017, 7:11 AM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #22

I had hoped to see talons on his feet,but then again he could barely have walked
  23. Member Since
    Jan 2017
    Jul 13, 2017, 12:39 AM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #23

If you're going to modify a jacket, The cowl/Collar looks like its made of Faux Mongolian Camel hair. You can probably go off of something on EBay. The only other thing are what look to be some triangle loops at the base of the pockets. The build is interesting from the photos. But you can get decently close to the real thing.
  24. Member Since
    Nov 2017
    6 Days Ago  Jan 12, 2018, 3:02 PM - Re: Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture? #24

I'm working on one right now for the KC Planet comicon in Feb. After much internal debate, I opted to go wingless for the practicalities of walkingaround a crowded convention hall while wrangling my three kids. But the compromise that I made was to do the full exoskeleton and Chitauri gun so it looks like it came right off the wing superstructure. My oldest son is going as HC spidey, so it should be fun.