Is Anyone Going to Try MCU Vulture?

ClayTheSpider15

Hey Fellow Crafters,
Just posing a simple question really. I have seen so many things about spidey's homemade suit, but no one is really willing to try any of the VILLIANS of the movie? Is there any particular reason for the lack of love? I mean I kinda understand why there is no Shocker attempt yet, due to lack of actual reference. But the vulture already has an action figure, and several trailers and clips. What do you guys think?

I would LOVE to see someone attempt it, but the entire flight apparatus is a nightmare. The wingspan is long, which means there is certainly a mobility issue, but there's also the weight of it to consider. It would have to be constructed out of a material strong enough to support itself so far off the mounting point on your back, but light enough that you could wear it for a while without compressing your spine. I do not envy the person whose brain gets infected with the desire to build it, heh.

Clay,the Vulture is definitely on my list of projects (see profile photo album),but it will be the (comic book) armored Vulture from the Life Theft story (Amazing Spider-man #386).

i mean, you could try to do a pvc armateur for the wings then maybe install electronics in the wings that run throught the pipe. Vox is that possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to the absolutely humongous wingspan for Vulture in homecoming, you could do the while collapsible wing system that you could have released when you want them to be on display and when you want to move around just collapse them. Just a thought ;)

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk

Due to the absolutely humongous wingspan for Vulture in homecoming, you could do the while collapsible wing system that you could have released when you want them to be on display and when you want to move around just collapse them. Just a thought ;)

Sent from my ALCATEL A564C using Tapatalk
i would do that along with an armateur for support reasons.

A "non-winged" Vulture would probably be more feasible. I mean, the look already is pretty unique, what with the blue flight pants, the distressed military flight jacket, and the mask:
vnt.jpg

i mean, you could try to do a pvc armateur for the wings then maybe install electronics in the wings that run throught the pipe. @Vox is that possible?

I'd love to say that it is possible, but I think it is highly improbable. Here's a still from one of the trailers:

spiderman-homecoming-trailer-16.jpg

Keaton is 5'9", for reference. Using that for scale, I would say those wings are at least 23 feet tip to tip. The further a wing extends from its mounting point, the stronger the material has to be to support it's own weight. Think about a tape measure tool: holding it in front of you, you start to pull the tape out (away from you), and the further it goes, the closer the tip sags toward the floor until it finally snaps under its own weight and collapses. (At which point you carefully let it retract back into its casing to avoid it flailing about and slicing you.) The more you move the tape as you pull it out, the sooner it is going to snap and fall.

To build this out of PVC, you would need some thick walled pipe so that its tensile strength could support its own weight. Unfortunately though, the thicker the walls, the heavier it will be, which would require some sort of rig to evenly distribute the weight on your body and make it possible to wear. Though even with that, I think the overall weight would be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time. I never want to say never though. I absolutely have faith in the ingenuity of cosplayers everywhere to overcome obstacles like this. I have seen costumes in real life that would have left me stumped on how to manage building it. So with the knowledge I have of wings and what is needed in constructing them, the huge size of them makes me balk at how to build it in such a way that will capture both form and function. But that is not to say that it can't be done.

Okay, I see your guys' point on the Vulture. It's just MASSIVE. But, what about the shocker(either one, cause there are two in the film)? It seems less of a mess to deal with, but it would be rather difficult depending on which one you choose.

What I’m wondering is what would be wrong with simply doing the vulture without the wings. They aren’t attached, it’s just an add on. It’s the equivalent of doing an iron man cosplay or doing a tony stark cosplay, I think. Both would be very cool. I mean I don’t want to discourage anyone who wants to take a crack at the wings I’m just saying it would still look rather sick with the full getup and the helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wings are part of the character and therefore,in my view,inseparable.Then again,people have made custom versions of anything before.

One could probably scale the wings down to a manageable size (such as the proportions of the figure) and design them so they could swing down so they won't bump into other people at cons

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 8.02.21 AM.png

One could probably scale the wings down to a manageable size (such as the proportions of the figure) and design them so they could swing down so they won't bump into other people at cons

That's the "Evil Falcon" concept Marvel didn't want to go with,but could have worked just fine.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back