Warner Bros To Reboot Cannonball Run

They should have teamed up with Lucasfilm and done this.

IMG_5566.JPG

But....why?

Seriously, let's stop and think about this. Cannonball Run isn't exactly a universally beloved film or a broadly known franchise these days. Sure, some folks remember it, but not the demographic that the studio execs are targeting. So, it doesn't really make sense from the typical "branded property" angle, where the theory is that people will go see a film with a familiar name before they see a film that's completely new. So, again, what's the reason for doing this?

I can think of only a few reasons, but I'd be curious for insights from those in the industry itself:

1. It was originally a script about something else, and they just tacked on the name because, hey, why not, it might score them an extra million at the box office from the nostalgia viewers.

2. The studio was about to lose the rights to the film, and figured they might as well do a remake to keep the rights fresh.

3. Someone in the C-suite REALLY loves the original.

And...uh.......that's it. That's all I've got. Even more than the Ghostbusters remake, this one just seems like a film nobody was asking for. It doesn't hit the right demographics even for faux-nostalgia in the sense of kids wanting to see an updated version of something that's around 20-ish years old that slyly winks at the conventions of the day or whathaveyou.

Even though my nine-year old self loved it every time Captain Chaos appeared on the screen in the original, I can't say I am looking forward to this idea. Nor the weird Mike-Meyers-in-disguise "Gong Show" revival.

But you know what is really tragic? The reboot of "Battle of the Network Stars". That cast. Ouch.

Last edited:
I think that it can work, it's sufficiently old enough that a reboot could work. To me, a property needs to be at least 20 - 30 years old before it can be rebooted and CR fits the bill perfectly. As long as they stay true to the original and get a good cast I think that it could work, the only problem that I see is getting enough talent to work on this, with the high cost of actor's salaries these days I'm not sure that they can cast more than 1 or 2 A listers.

"We're racists not rapists." :lol When you think about it it's not much better!

"I'll shove those bleeds straight up your nose"
"These bleeds?"
"Those bleeds!"

Actors are funny when they are being filmed drunk on screen.

Of course they will remake it. It will have fast cars, faster women, hunky young guys, breaking the speed laws, explosions, supreemly unrealistic car stunts, garbage dialog, poor acting, cheap CGI, oh wait....this IS starting to sound like a bad idea.....

But....why?

Seriously, let's stop and think about this. Cannonball Run isn't exactly a universally beloved film or a broadly known franchise these days. Sure, some folks remember it, but not the demographic that the studio execs are targeting. So, it doesn't really make sense from the typical "branded property" angle, where the theory is that people will go see a film with a familiar name before they see a film that's completely new. So, again, what's the reason for doing this?

I can think of only a few reasons, but I'd be curious for insights from those in the industry itself:

1. It was originally a script about something else, and they just tacked on the name because, hey, why not, it might score them an extra million at the box office from the nostalgia viewers.

2. The studio was about to lose the rights to the film, and figured they might as well do a remake to keep the rights fresh.

3. Someone in the C-suite REALLY loves the original.

And...uh.......that's it. That's all I've got. Even more than the Ghostbusters remake, this one just seems like a film nobody was asking for. It doesn't hit the right demographics even for faux-nostalgia in the sense of kids wanting to see an updated version of something that's around 20-ish years old that slyly winks at the conventions of the day or whathaveyou.

I'm guessing it's because of the Fast & Furious franchise, plain and simple.

Fast & Furious #4-8 are the movies they've done since 2009 when they started giving the franchise some real resources & effort. Those movies have averaged a worldwide BO of $905 million. That's five movies in a row, all within the last 9 years. And the last two have been the biggest ones. It is Universal's biggest-earning franchise that is currently active.

The modern F&F formula is very simple: hot cars + bankable stars + some kind of heist/caper storyline.

The old Cannonball Run series consisted of: hot cars + bankable stars + not much storyline.

It's high concept that writes itself.

They'll try to get Chris Pratt, of course, but he'll wisely turn it down so they'll get Kevin Hart, or some other likeable comedian-type.
Pair him with Seth Rogan or Jonah Hill as the Dom DeLuise character.
They'll try to cast Ken Jeong to play a Japanese drift racer, even though he's Korean. Or they might try to get Jet Li.
They'll get Daniel Craig to drive an Aston Martin as the British guy. If not him, they'll get Jason Statham who will sign on if they let him have a fight scene with Jet Li.

Help me write this, folks.

Or maybe it'll be a rom-com. It will star Amy Schumer as a smartass high school teacher. There will be two scenes in fast cars. Hang the Cannonball Run name on it and call it a remake.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back