TLJ SPOILERS - Is Phasma actually Snoke's secret apprentice?

squirk

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Maybe this had been discussed to death, but I just rewatched TFA, and I don't believe that the bad-ass that she is implied to be would have rolled over so easily for Finn, Han & Chewie on Starkiller base. Given that she knew what those guys had planned for the base, surely someone with her (granted, assumed) fighting skills would have put up a fight, no? A toe-to-toe knock-down/drag-out fight with Chewie would have been pretty sweet.

Seems like she would have done something...unless she didn't care if the base was destroyed. Snoke seemed similarly unperturbed by news of the base being destroyed. Were they both in on some larger plan where SK base had served its purpose and was now disposable? And if the Visual Dictionary wasn't just talking out of its ass about Snoke having a "secret apprentice", who else would it be? Not Hux, surely?

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but keeping in mind Han's statement that Snoke will use Kylo and then "crush" him - is Snoke playing Kylo for a fool, with Phasma being the true apprentice, hiding in plain sight?

Everyone I talk to seems to think I'm crazy. I'm not crazy, am I?

Last edited:
Re: Is Phasma actually Snoke's secret apprentice?

I can see how you would think that... That would be why she made such a great appearance with the helmet off and the power stare in the VF magazine..

Lol. All joking aside I'm pretty sure he's not training Hux, or Phasma but I could be wrong. Hux for SURE isn't his apprentice, but Phasma? Maybe....

sent from the cockpit of SLAVE I

I'm gonna put my money, just this once (I'm that drunk), where my mouth and whiskey is... and say that if Rey is NOT a Kenobi, I will send Jedi-72 here, the 1 American dollar I have in my wallet.

Its all foreshadowed. I'll question everything I thought I knew about story and film if I'm wrong.

----

re-reading this I come off kinda overconfident. I apologize. Back to whiskey and Seth Meyers.

I don't want everyone to be related. I hope Rey is neither a Skywalker, nor a Kenobi nor (God help us) a Fett. While there is obviously a story about why she was left with Unkar Plutt at such a young age, that doesn't mean she has to be the daughter of any existing character.

And I don't want Snoke to be Kanan Jarrus or Ezra Bridger either. Please.

Still, I am thinking Pablo Hidalgo didn't drop that "secret apprentice" bit into Snoke's entry in the Visual Dictionary for no reason. Hidalgo is teasing a surprise reveal. Maybe it is a character yet to be introduced, but if it's someone we've already seen, I am hard-pressed to think of anyone other than Phasma. It would certainly explain her (and Gwendolyn Christie's) underutilization in TFA.

Last edited:

Now I have an image in my mind of Gwen in chrome armor wielding a red lightsaber.
I'm actually kinda liking this theory.

I agree that a shot of the red glow of the saber reflecting off her armor would be pretty sweet. Regardless, it'd be a waste of a great actress and a great costume if Phasma were not bound for bigger and better things.

I likewise have an image - Kylo believing and relying upon the idea that he and Snoke are BFFs at some critical point in Ep VIII or IX. Kylo thinks Snoke is his only friend and the only person he can rely upon, and - SURPRISE, SUCKER! - Phasma walks out of the shadows from behind Snoke's throne with a red saber in hand and red-yellow eyes. She was the real apprentice all along; a full-on Dark Side disciple, not someone internally conflicted like Kylo.

And on Snoke's orders, she either kills Kylo, or at least tries to do so. Maybe echoes of Sidious' betrayal of Dooku at the beginning of ROTS.

Last edited:

Hmmm maybe it should be noted that the guy who did the sword choreography for TFA also did it for Game of Thrones (so I've heard)...

And someone in Game of Thrones wields a pretty big sword and has been trained to fight with it...

So Phasma ALREADY has the skill set in her to fight with a lightsaber...

No man, I would have figured she would have forced push chewie's bones right out of his fur coat. Now she has a rug for in front of her fireplace. Snapped Finns neck in second and kicked solo right thru the blaster door. But kylo needed to kill his old man anyway to prove his worth and for greater good. So I guess she could have played possum.

luke & snook are buddies from way back. Their lives and blood are intertwined someway.

Rey is still the bad guy to me along with the Jedi ( always believe the Jedi are the bad guys,winners always write the story in the history books)

How bout Finn is the secret apprentice? Who better to send after the plans by sucking up to a resistance fighter than your trusted spy? He's even infiltrated the base by the end of the first movie :) The bumbling fool bit is just an act :)

Not likely as there's not reason to be the bumbling fool on your own - but that'd also keep him secret from the FO themselves...

Maybe this had been discussed to death, but I just rewatched TFA, and I don't believe that the bad-ass that she is implied to be would have rolled over so easily for Finn, Han & Chewie on Starkiller base. Given that she knew what those guys had planned for the base, surely someone with her (granted, assumed) fighting skills would have put up a fight, no? A toe-to-toe knock-down/drag-out fight with Chewie would have been pretty sweet.

Seems like she would have done something...unless she didn't care if the base was destroyed. Snoke seemed similarly unperturbed by news of the base being destroyed. Were they both in on some larger plan where SK base had served its purpose and was now disposable? And if the Visual Dictionary wasn't just talking out of its ass about Snoke having a "secret apprentice", who else would it be? Not Hux, surely?

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but keeping in mind Han's statement that Snoke will use Kylo and then "crush" him - is Snoke playing Kylo for a fool, with Phasma being the true apprentice, hiding in plain sight?

Everyone I talk to seems to think I'm crazy. I'm not crazy, am I?
Boba went down by accident. And he's supposed to be super-bad. So perceived awesomeness of the character means nothing. And frankly, Chewie would just rip her arms off.

And if she had the force Kylo would probably know it.

I think you just really like Phasma, which is fine, but it doesn't prove anything.

I'm gonna put my money, just this once (I'm that drunk), where my mouth and whiskey is... and say that if Rey is NOT a Kenobi, I will send Jedi-72 here, the 1 American dollar I have in my wallet.

Its all foreshadowed. I'll question everything I thought I knew about story and film if I'm wrong.

----

re-reading this I come off kinda overconfident. I apologize. Back to whiskey and Seth Meyers.

EXACTLY! Everything about her character, right down to scenes on star killer base recreating Obi-Wan's scenes in ANH indicate her being a Kenobi. If she's not then they went to A LOT of trouble for nothing.

EXACTLY! Everything about her character, right down to scenes on star killer base recreating Obi-Wan's scenes in ANH indicate her being a Kenobi. If she's not then they went to A LOT of trouble for nothing.

If you're going to expand the story outside of just being the Skywalkers... you make it the original rivalry... skywalker vs. Kenobi... Their grandkids battle it out.

Except the first moment I remember thinking "yeah she's a Kenobi" was my first screening and the way it ended - Rey holding out the graflex

"Oh... I bet this is the second time a Kenobi has handed Luke his father's saber"

...I likewise have an image - Kylo believing and relying upon the idea that he and Snoke are BFFs at some critical point in Ep VIII or IX. Kylo thinks Snoke is his only friend and the only person he can rely upon, and - SURPRISE, SUCKER! - Phasma walks out of the shadows from behind Snoke's throne with a red saber in hand and red-yellow eyes. She was the real apprentice all along; a full-on Dark Side disciple, not someone internally conflicted like Kylo.

And on Snoke's orders, she either kills Kylo, or at least tries to do so. Maybe echoes of Sidious' betrayal of Dooku at the beginning of ROTS.

As long as Kylo dies like the whiny bitch he is I'll be happy.

No man, I would have figured she would have forced push chewie's bones right out of his fur coat. Now she has a rug for in front of her fireplace. Snapped Finns neck in second and kicked solo right thru the blaster door. But kylo needed to kill his old man anyway to prove his worth and for greater good. So I guess she could have played possum.

Right - that's what I am saying. She's playing it on the down-low for now.

Boba went down by accident. And he's supposed to be super-bad. So perceived awesomeness of the character means nothing. And frankly, Chewie would just rip her arms off.

And if she had the force Kylo would probably know it.

I think you just really like Phasma, which is fine, but it doesn't prove anything.

I would hope the new crew learned from the mistakes made with Boba, and not introduce a bad-ass character only to dispose of them as an afterthought.

Yeah, I like Phasma and look forward to seeing her put to better use. But I never said any of my rantings "proved" anything. Just a theory that I figured folks around here would entertain, even if they don't agree with it.

If you're going to expand the story outside of just being the Skywalkers... you make it the original rivalry... skywalker vs. Kenobi... Their grandkids battle it out.

Except the first moment I remember thinking "yeah she's a Kenobi" was my first screening and the way it ended - Rey holding out the graflex

"Oh... I bet this is the second time a Kenobi has handed Luke his father's saber"

We must've been separated at birth. I made up my mind when I saw the original Kenobi saber chest a outside the door to the room where she found the saber. I figured they didn't recreate that and put it there for nothing.

Right - that's what I am saying. She's playing it on the down-low for now.

I would hope the new crew learned from the mistakes made with Boba, and not introduce a bad-ass character only to dispose of them as an afterthought.

Yeah, I like Phasma and look forward to seeing her put to better use. But I never said any of my rantings "proved" anything. Just a theory that I figured folks around here would entertain, even if they don't agree with it.

And I still say if she had The Force Kylo would have probably known. And even more to the point. Why would Snoke be interested in and favor anyone else over Vader's own grandson? Considering the Skywalker pedigree, I would have a hard time believing there's a more interesting and useful student out there.

The new crew made a movie with several of the same beats as ANH. To me, I don't think that indicates much in the way of new thinking or learning.

If you really want to parse terminology then you should use the word "hypothesis" and not "theory".

We must've been separated at birth. I made up my mind when I saw the original Kenobi saber chest a outside the door to the room where she found the saber. I figured they didn't recreate that and put it there for nothing.

I think your Kenobi idea has more merit than my Phasma one.

But making Rey Obi-Wan's granddaughter seems like a whole lot of hassle. I mean, you have to explain two stories there, right?

1.) Where and when did Obi-Wan - consistently portrayed as a sober and dutiful member of the Jedi Order - father a child, completely out of character? If Rey is 20, and her parents were at least 20 when she was born, that means that Ben's kid would have been born while he was watching over Luke on Tatooine. Would Obi-Wan really have distracted himself from his all-important mission by having a kid (or putting himself in a position where he accidentally had one)?

2.) Why did that kid leave their kid (Rey) with a greedy lout on some jerkwater planet? Again, if I am tracking the timeline right, when Rey got dumped, everything was still generally hunky-dory with the New Republic and the Jedi Order. No need to secret away a Force-sensitive child at that time, was there?

Again, I think you guys are right. I just question all the fiery hoops that Kasdan and Abrams jump through from a screenwriting standpoint to unnecessarily tie Rey back to Obi-Wan. Why can't she just be a brand-new powerful Force-wielder with no connection to anyone?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back