TLJ SPOILERS - Is Phasma actually Snoke's secret apprentice?

Re: Is Phasma actually Snoke's secret apprentice?

I think your Kenobi idea has more merit than my Phasma one.

But making Rey Obi-Wan's granddaughter seems like a whole lot of hassle. I mean, you have to explain two stories there, right?

1.) Where and when did Obi-Wan - consistently portrayed as a sober and dutiful member of the Jedi Order - father a child, completely out of character? If Rey is 20, and her parents were at least 20 when she was born, that means that Ben's kid would have been born while he was watching over Luke on Tatooine. Would Obi-Wan really have distracted himself from his all-important mission by having a kid (or putting himself in a position where he accidentally had one)?

2.) Why did that kid leave their kid (Rey) with a greedy lout on some jerkwater planet? Again, if I am tracking the timeline right, when Rey got dumped, everything was still generally hunky-dory with the New Republic and the Jedi Order. No need to secret away a Force-sensitive child at that time, was there?

Again, I think you guys are right. I just question all the fiery hoops that Kasdan and Abrams jump through from a screenwriting standpoint to unnecessarily tie Rey back to Obi-Wan. Why can't she just be a brand-new powerful Force-wielder with no connection to anyone?

There was a quote somewhere when LFL was asked about a Kenobi film. The answer said something like they were waiting til the trilogy movies were done because they didn't want to spoil any surprises. I'm sure Obi Wan got a little between ROTS and ANH. We'll see.

Obi-Wan did have a love though, while it was shown in the Clome Wars tv show, during the Clone Wars he and Dutchass Satine of the New Mandalorians had a thing, he even told her that he would have left the order for her. It is possible that he could have had a child with her and not even known about it in theory. The Clone Wars is canon, so they could use this point to their advantage with making Rey a Kenobi

1.) Where and when did Obi-Wan - consistently portrayed as a sober and dutiful member of the Jedi Order - father a child, completely out of character? If Rey is 20, and her parents were at least 20 when she was born, that means that Ben's kid would have been born while he was watching over Luke on Tatooine. Would Obi-Wan really have distracted himself from his all-important mission by having a kid (or putting himself in a position where he accidentally had one)?

2.) Why did that kid leave their kid (Rey) with a greedy lout on some jerkwater planet? Again, if I am tracking the timeline right, when Rey got dumped, everything was still generally hunky-dory with the New Republic and the Jedi Order. No need to secret away a Force-sensitive child at that time, was there?

Again, I think you guys are right. I just question all the fiery hoops that Kasdan and Abrams jump through from a screenwriting standpoint to unnecessarily tie Rey back to Obi-Wan. Why can't she just be a brand-new powerful Force-wielder with no connection to anyone?

My feeling is that Obi left the Jedi order, so no need to follow their rules "I was ONCE a Jedi knight like your father... Then I sowed ma seeeeds".

As for why ditch her? Not sure. Hide her from Kylo? I dunno.

But I think when they looked at the big picture, that this was a 7-8-9 story, it would have to somehow work with the entire 9 episodes as a whole, and that would mean closing off the Ben and Anakin Story as well....

Ben helped start the skywalker madness, and now that another Skywalker is becoming a problem, Luke is feeling like there shouldn't be Jedi, Kylo wants to end the Jedi... And her Comes a Kenobi to finish what her family started.

Obi-Wan did have a love though, while it was shown in the Clome Wars tv show, during the Clone Wars he and Dutchass Satine of the New Mandalorians had a thing, he even told her that he would have left the order for her. It is possible that he could have had a child with her and not even known about it in theory. The Clone Wars is canon, so they could use this point to their advantage with making Rey a Kenobi

That's an excellent point. I forgot all about Satine. And you're right - she probably would have kept the child hidden from Obi-Wan so he wouldn't be forced to leave the Order. A Mandalorian Jedi - I could totally see the filmmakers shooting for that.

My feeling is that Obi left the Jedi order, so no need to follow their rules "I was ONCE a Jedi knight like your father... Then I sowed ma seeeeds".

As for why ditch her? Not sure. Hide her from Kylo? I dunno.

But I think when they looked at the big picture, that this was a 7-8-9 story, it would have to somehow work with the entire 9 episodes as a whole, and that would mean closing off the Ben and Anakin Story as well....

Ben helped start the skywalker madness, and now that another Skywalker is becoming a problem, Luke is feeling like there shouldn't be Jedi, Kylo wants to end the Jedi... And her Comes a Kenobi to finish what her family started.

Kylo is only - what? - 10 years older than Rey, so he was only ~14-15 when she got dumped. I'm not thinking he was that young when he wiped out the Order.

But maybe Rey was being hidden from a.) Snoke - he seems to be a known quantity to Leia and Han. Maybe he was already a looming threat back then?; or b.) people who know about her royal Mandalorian ancestry (tying into Moreorless37's idea above).

Last edited by a moderator:

I will necro this thread just because it is interesting to read what we got right and wrong, in light of TLJ..

I really liked it. Maybe even more than TFA. I am glad that (apparently) Rey is related to nobody of importance - just drunk trash. A nice way to eventually make a clean break from the Skywalker/Solo/Kenobi story.

But assuming Phasma is really dead, what an underutilized character. She should have beat the snot out of a foot soldier/janitor, and her defeat should have been more due to luck than anything else. Finn’s victory felt rushed and did not feel earned.

They could have cut a few minutes out of the Canto Bight subplot (which honestly dragged a bit) and spent more time on Phasma v. Finn - make her more of a threat, really feel like Finn was going to get killed.

Since Snoke appears to have been nothing but a MacGuffin, I still wonder why Pablo Hidalgo dropped that “secret apprentice” bit into Snoke’s TFA Visual Dictionary entry.....

Last edited:
Was Phasma's armor, fire proof?? If so.. could she still be alive?

Well, it was clearly blaster-proof, but she did have that big hole in her helmet that might have made things unpleasant in the fire.

But I guess if Darth Maul can survive being cut in half....

Well, it was clearly blaster-proof, but she did have that big hole in her helmet that might have made things unpleasant in the fire.

But I guess if Darth Maul can survive being cut in half....

Seriously though... not saying an apprentice...she fell through fire.. her suite looked like it could have handled it..

maybe some sort of Boba Fett..

That would be too cool

Seriously though... not saying an apprentice...she fell through fire.. her suite looked like it could have handled it..

maybe some sort of Boba Fett..

That would be too cool

If Rian Johnson is to believed, there is no pre-planned, mapped-out template for the sequel trilogy. I guess all options are on the table for Abrams & Terrio.

Maybe the secret apprentice is DJ. In and out... never tracked..scoping the situation.. staying out the gun fire.. and perfectly placed in same cell and Fin and Rose to see whats going on. And is "scruffy looking"

Hell.. first time we saw Yoda, he acted the idiot.

Remember. "always 2 there are.. no more.. no less"

Remember. "always 2 there are.. no more.. no less"

Good point, but I don't think either Snoke or Kylo are Sith. I don't recall either of them ever mentioning the word, nor ever being described as such. Note how neither of them ever display the yellow Sith eyes; not even Kylo at the peak of his rage.

Evil, yes, but not Sith, it would seem.

Good point, but I don't think either Snoke or Kylo are Sith. I don't recall either of them ever mentioning the word, nor ever being described as such. Note how neither of them ever display the yellow Sith eyes; not even Kylo at the peak of his rage.

Evil, yes, but not Sith, it would seem.

Yoda said that with the most confidence. He said it with no exceptions... like it has been and always will be no matter what..

So.. I believe Yoda. There will always be 2

Yoda said that with the most confidence. He said it with no exceptions... like it has been and always will be no matter what..

So.. I believe Yoda. There will always be 2

The same Yoda who couldn't peg Darth Sidious even though he was right under Yoda's nose for decades? ;)

Again, the Rule of Two doesn't apply if they aren't Sith.

The same Yoda who couldn't peg Darth Sidious even though he was right under Yoda's nose for decades? ;)

Again, the Rule of Two doesn't apply if they aren't Sith.

Knowledge of the force and blocking thoughts... are 2 different things

- - - Updated - - -

And even if it did, Snoke plus Kylo equals two.

Snoke was a pawn.. just like Count was a pawn

Im just guessing..

Knowledge of the force and blocking thoughts... are 2 different things

Fair enough. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek, but my point was that Yoda was fallible.

They're still not Sith. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

And even if it did, Snoke plus Kylo equals two.

I am probably reading too much into Hidalgo's "secret apprentice" thing in the TFA VD. The fact that Rian Johnson said there's no overarching outline for this trilogy reinforces the idea that maybe the "secret apprentice" is just a throwaway line.

The fact that Rian Johnson said there's no overarching outline for this trilogy reinforces the idea that maybe the "secret apprentice" is just a throwaway line.

Dont say that.... that will only make the new trilogy worse....if you have thowaway lines....lol

Dont say that.... that will only make the new trilogy worse....if you have thowaway lines....lol

Not that Abrams/Kasdan/Johnson/Terrio are beholden to anything and everything Hidalgo tosses into the VD, but I thought he was telegraphing something important. Looks like I was wrong.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back