Fishman/Alien sculpture for latex mask.

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey folks. Wanted to share my latest project. This will be the last project I do in Florida! In 9 days I leave for California, and after that I don't know how frequently I'll be on the forum so I wanted to throw something up here while I could.

I started with a sketch on my iPhone. The app is called Autodesk Sketchbook, I really recommend it!
IMG_7862.jpg

This sketch has a very Asian feel to me, and I veered off that influence a little in my sculpt. I would love to come back to this sketch and do a prosthetic makeup, as a sort of koi fish man hybrid. I think there are still many ways I could reinterpret this doodle and that is always so much fun for me.

The sculpt itself went a lot more towards an alien if I'm being honest, but I intend to sculpt and flat mold some fins or gills to attach to the piece to sell the Fishman look. Sculpting them separately will allow me to make them much thinner than I could attatched to the sculpt, gives me freedom of placement, and also gives me translucency if cast in balloon latex. Anyways, here is where the sculpt started more or less..Don't mind the messy background. Clay is EM-210, White Clay.. or "molding" clay as it's sometime called.
IMG_7880.JPGIMG_7879.JPGIMG_7877.JPG

Then the final sculpture primed and released for mold making. It has a very 90's monster feel.. like something you'd see a scanned Polaroid of in Fangoria. I think sculpturally it is my best piece yet. I'm super happy with it.

IMG_7931.JPGIMG_7929.JPGIMG_7928.JPGIMG_7932.JPGIMG_7933.JPG

Total sculpture time was just under five hours. The white clay was very old and drying out quickly so I didn't have a lot of play time. He has been successfully molded and I will cast the first copy as soon as I can in California. I hope you guys enjoy it! I really can't wait to sling some paint on this guy... got some cool ideas in mind. :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back