Another Newbie building a DL-44 (ANH)

avagoyamug

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across and into this hobby, like some others here, by watching the infamous "Tested - One day Builds" DL-44 Video.
I always loved Star Wars, crafting and this gun in particular, and watching Adam Savage I thought: I can do this!
I come from a Modelbuilding background, but only worked with plastic so far. I have decent painting (and weathering) experience though and hope to be able to apply some of that.

So far I ordered my Denix, the one with a wooden handle, and researched the parts a bit, but with not too much success.

This brings me to my first question: Besides the obvious two top alternatives (Toddscostumes and Dark Energy Creations), are there any alternativ parts/kit sellers that use any kind of metal for their parts? I'm still hesitant to buy the DEC kit (once available again) although I'm shure the value for money is excellent.
I've seen a lot of 3d printed alternatives in plastic, and although I'd strongly prefer metal the price is just very tempting...
Anyone having experience with the likes of these:
https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/488622262/dl-44-blaster-teilen?ref=market

Or ANY other sources of metal parts? Anyone?

I also thought about printing parts with data from Thingiverse or other sites myself. I know Shapeways and propably others offer aluminium and even steel prints, has anyone tried this before?

Thanks for any comment, and sorry for being the next Newbie asking the obvious - I tried the search option already.
Regards
Thilo

Nope? :/

Ich ordered some 3d printed PLA plastic parts now and decided to collect some first experience with those... Of I'm top unhappy I can still sell the prop and make another one with the Dark Energy Kit (and maybe kind of finance it that way)

i ordered that kit off etsy.............it needs alot of clean up,filler and sanding...i only used the grill,scope mount and flash hider

If want metal parts Field Marshall from here is making lots of parts in aluminum right now and selling on eBay. He's doing an M19 scope (find this thread for all his stuff) as well. If your plastic parts don't work PM me and I can give you the name of the guy that built my blasters (all 5 of Hans) who sells on shapeways as well for the DIYer.

That's him. Good work he does. I actually have a couple of his parts through the guy I talked of in my first post, they colab over design so makes it more accurate.

And I have Todd's Hero scope and it's super nice, did a little weathering rub to it with green scrub pad and it looks perfect. You can set email notifications for when products in stock, which is what I did, but buy quickly as they seem to sell out fast.

I know Shapeways and propably others offer aluminium and even steel prints, has anyone tried this before?

Are you talking about using a 3rd party to mill/machine the parts? If so, I use Fusion360 and they offer similar services. They are rediculously overpriced, but a lot of times you'll get free estimates by just uploading your model and choosing a process.

Kinda, I was talking about actual printing (synthering) the parts out of metal powder... Shapeways and other 3d printing services offer this...
Thanks for the hint though

I have one question for the denix disassembly pros here:
I cant remove the Bolt from the top part of the gun, without removing the firing pin First - but in my denix Version (I believe its a newer version, without the diomond logo and with wooden handle) the firing pin doesnt slide out to the end of the bolt, so würde does it?

I cant remove the Bolt from the top part of the gun, without removing the firing pin First - but in my denix Version (I believe its a newer version, without the diomond logo and with wooden handle) the firing pin doesnt slide out to the end of the bolt, so würde does it?

I couldn't figure it out on my last one either. Be VERY Interested to know. I prefer the bright bolt on mine.

It does slide out the back, it's just is a pain in the rear to do. I use some cutters to get a grip on it.

It does slide out the back, it's just is a pain in the rear to do. I use some cutters to get a grip on it.
Which Version of the Denix did you have? I'm pretty shure I have this one here, but a newer version then on the images:
http://www.denix.es/en/catalogue/world-war-i-ii-1914-1945/pistols/m-1024/

The firing pin is obviously not connected to the little fake pin on the end of the bolt, because I can see it moving inside the bolt while the fake part sits still...
I already tried pulling the assumed fake part with a cutter, but only damaged it slightly - I'm afraid to apply more force now..

Newer version without the diamond?....Where did you get your Denix without the logo?

I got mine on german Amazon, it was the last one of this shop though..

Well now I'm curious... Can you post a pic of your Denix? I've not heard of one without the logo unless it was milled off by someone prior to seling.
Where did you buy it?

Cheers
Steve

IMG_20170613_184357.jpg
IMG_20170613_184336.jpg
This is it. As mentioned, got it via Denix' german amazon shop, they currently have 3 in stock again...

I do recall hearing something about Denix retooling their mauser. Interesting, they got rid of the diamond and put an stamp on that same side above the grip.

I have several that I got from different places. One I got from Todd's Costumes and the others I got from Boba Debt on his ESB and ROTJ runs.

Ha, I got it! I almost broke the rod inside that bolt by bending it with brute force until it popped out sideways, than I was able to remove the spring, the bolt stop and fiiinally I punched out the small plug that locked the hole in the back with a blunt nail from the inside...
50lrUWrJfgaB77WYFZCuVSwnpeisKTendkH1WNPoNJM.jpg

As another small update, I finished reworking and painting the wood of the handle and replaced those screws with brass ones:
EnfmvaJkwFO0Be35zfz5NXFFMnXYGuJEg6apck2HPKY,YxwN99EwZhijFnZnreEgBvBy6QS0IUYOu6rSDTg6x5g.jpg
gFxz5CAeeuBGDim8MDPkAeYADv4_oSHLc3qYg8Dh1qU,QlibUfZkj6Zo_719Bh_CH1tazMRhGyb1xcdvubyKWbU.jpg

To close this, here are some of the WIP pictures I took of finishing and assembling the 3D printed parts:

IMG_20170711_224535.jpg
IMG_20170712_190442.jpg
IMG_20170713_232424.jpg
IMG_20170713_232503.jpg
IMG_20170714_223530.jpg
IMG_20170714_223553.jpg
IMG_20170714_223604.jpg
IMG_20170716_230559.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170711_224535.jpg
    IMG_20170711_224535.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 92
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back