Introduction and opinions on my ANH Darth Vader

Nogoodnamesleft

Hi every onr,
My name is Bill. I'm 46 and I have lurked around the RPF for more years than I can count. I have always admired the talent and dedication that so many of you put into prop reproductions and model work. you guys have always inspired me to try and make the replicas that i really love from Star Wars but I've always felt my efforts fell short when i see the work you guys can accomplish. I finally feel like I have something worth showing. For good or bad I would would really welcome your opinions on the ANH Vader I made. I am happy but I still feel something is off when I look at him. He just does not seem to capture that ANH look and I can't not put my finger on why. I used an EFX PCR helmet (All I could aford). My chest box ,belt boxes and all switches were drawn up by me in tinkercad and then I 3D printed them.Ii know the cape needs to be remade and wrap over his shoulders more and I'm still working on the gloves and shin guards. Any opinions you guys could offer if you find the time would be a great learning tool. Id really love to work my skills and try to be a part of this great community. Thakss in advance,

Bill

Photo Jun 10, 9 30 54 AM.jpgPhoto Jun 10, 11 01 56 AM.jpgPhoto Jun 10, 11 22 00 AM.jpgPhoto Jun 10, 11 22 11 AM.jpgPhoto Jun 10, 11 22 16 AM.jpgPhoto Jun 11, 2 39 51 PM.jpg

Photo Jun 10, 9 30 54 AM.jpg

Photo Jun 10, 11 01 56 AM.jpg

Photo Jun 10, 11 22 00 AM.jpg

Photo Jun 10, 11 22 11 AM.jpg

Photo Jun 10, 11 22 16 AM.jpg

Photo Jun 11, 2 39 51 PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he looks great. Love the printed components. I'm not much a perfectionist however, I've been happy with my Episode 3.75 Vader for ten years. I think yours looks very Episode IV. Good job!

Ditto, I'm not an expert by any means but I think it looks great the PCR helmet is pretty good. I reckon it's a costume that you wear not and it's not on a mannequin? My only suggestion would be different posing on photos, the way the wearer or the mannequin stands really can make or break a costume.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Thank you for your feedback and compliments. Really appreciate that. It is actually a mannequin but he seems very limited on how I can pose him. I bought a big and tall one thankfully with the helmet he comes in at 6'8 so pretty accurate height I think but the arms sadly are pretty ridged.

Im certainly no DV expert as well... You did a fantastic job and you should be very proud of your work. :)Thanks so much for sharing! Love it.

Hi Bill,

And welcome aboard ... I do know a thing or 2 about Vader since I had to create one of my own for a customer/friend ... and your ANH is quite good ... as said posture is what makes or breaks believability ... so do some research in those great books you have in your bookcase and it will come to you what's bothering you. For now rejoice in being part of this great community :)

Chaïm

That's a really nice Vader. The only thing I can see that is looking a bit off is the chest armor - in particular the grey center ridge is way too wide and it seems the two black bars with the U shape on them on either side of it curve way too much down the front. The armor also gives that American Football vibe. Everything else looks great and it's really cool you scratch built so many pieces. :)

Man you guys are great! Thank you for the compliments and thoughts on improvements. I was really nervous about posting here. That's my excuse for the bad grammar in my first post arleast. Lol. You guys set the bar so high. I feel very proud that you took the time to look and respond. Thanks so much.

Hey. Thank you for your reply and honesty. I thought the armor was off too but couldn't put my finger on what. He has a bit of a linebacker look and maybe that's pat of what is throwing me off. Thank you for posting on this.

I always say: never be afraid to ask questions and never be afraid to show off your stuff. We all started out as newbies and had to take that first step into this mad world of prop collecting.

Have fun and be well.

I have to agree with everyone's sentiments here, your Vader looks amazing. I would love to build one myself but it just seems such a daunting prospect haha.

You should be proud of what you've built, I'd be proud to display him in my theater room.

I was really nervous about posting here. That's my excuse for the bad grammar in my first post arleast

Don't be nervous, we'll help you with your typos in your third...

that's pat of what is throwing me off.

....and fourth posts too!!! :D

Welcome to the forum! And that's a very good Vader, and first post here as well. What's your second thread going to be? Anything in the works?

Nothing in the works new as of yet. I do want to work on the cape and make it more accurate. I've always wanted a full size R2 D2 but not sure my nerves are up to it yet. After the Vader. Thanks again for the feedback and all the warm welcomes. I'm really glad I took a chance and posted.

As a "Vader Nut" myself...I have to say what a great job you have done putting together a very nice display!

As others have said...we all start somewhere...so posting and showing your great work...that's step one! so congrats!

I agree with the sentiments on the chest armor. The front curve can be rounded some...and remember those ANH "brush stokes" on the gunmetal. And for me, the gloves (typically not as huge of a thought) are big. May not think about it...but Prowse used his hands alot...so the gloves tend to stick in people's minds. And the ANH ones in particular were noticeable.

All in all...I would say you have one heck of a nice outfit, there. If it serves what you want...go for it I say! Nicely done!

Also, what you are experiencing is what is known as "OVD" (Obsessive Vader Disorder)...hahaha! It'll get you!

Thank you everyone for the kind words and suggestions. I definitely feel more confident about his look and also got some good guidelines on things I can tweak.

That cod piece looks awful. I'd take it if you were to sell it as it looks like the RO cod. You can buy a much better one from the same guy (Custom Props).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back