3D Printed Revan Mask - FINISHED PICS!

Machinimax

Of all the Sith Lords, there is one to me that stands out above all the rest and that would be Darth Revan himself. I've always been a big fan of his story and character. A few months ago, I commissioned Ty from Saber Baron Studios to design for me Revan's lightsaber. This is what I got...

eRCI41Y.jpg

This beautiful, one-of-a-kind piece was fully hand machined and powder coated by Ty. The man is a natural sabersmith! Since the hilt came into my possession, I decided to revisit a project that I've been keeping on the back burner for a bit. I knew that with the hilt, I would want Revan's iconic mask as well. I decided to go the 3D printing route for this. I was searching the web for downloadable models and I found a great one that I liked on Thingiverse by user Jtm.

pC4XpYh.jpg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1312761

I took the file into my slicing software, sent it to the printer, and then (in my best Spongebob narrator voice) 19 HOURS LATER....got this:

xJcRqwB.jpg

hWnHVgG.jpg

Since the whole thing would not be able to fit on my print bed, I needed to split it in two. I decided to print it horizontally along the visor area. Since I want this to be a wearable piece, I knew I would need to clear out the printed visor with a rotary tool. I figured this would help. make the job easier. I figured that was a good place to start working as well. Between various size sanding drums, files, and of course...

Jp8niGN.jpg

I came to this...

k4WWB2q.jpg

I've gotten most of the material out so now it's just a matter of cleaning up the opening. Once I do that, it will be time to sand the whole thing as smoothly as I can prior to painting. Stay tuned. I'll do my best to provide as much information as I can during this process!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 3D Printed Revan Mask - W.I.P.

So much of the work that I have done to this so far has been sanding butI'm finally at a point where noticeable progress has been made. Starting with this, the two halves have now become one.

VzV6gRQ.jpg

They were joined together with some super glue and I closed up any seams with some filler putty. You can see some of the sanding work here as well. To help with the sanding process I've been using a filler primer to help me pinpoint the target areas I need to focus on as well as fill in the small spots I can't necessarily sand away. It looks good in this picture but in reality there was still plenty more to do. After sanding down the filler putty, it was ready for yet another coat of primer.

n2l50rn.jpg

Now I was back and forth between filling, priming, and sanding all at once. The process is labor intensive but the results and wonderful. After repeating this process for a good amount of time, the mask currently stands here:

OhTPgIb.jpg

I tried capturing the pic in better light so you could see how smooth it is coming. It is very close but there are still some areas I need to address. Here is a close up example of one of the good spots.

4HbqQ2f.jpg

It's getting to the point where even I'm questioning if it was 3D printed! You can't even see the seam between the two halves anymore! By my next update, I should be done with sanding and will be ready for the final paint job.

Last edited:

Now there's something you can be proud of!

Id3ICro.jpg

cHp7nEP.jpg

I'm pleased to report that that mask has been sanded smooth to my liking. I can't believe how drastically different this thing looks compared to when I started. For now I'm just hitting it with a few coats of regular primer. One more to go and I will be soon be ready to start adding in color and weathering!

Last edited:

Great work! I'm happy to be finding your post just as I was considering a Revan print, and had also arrived at choosing the JTM version as well. I'm going to attempt to remove the visor in Blender before printing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's the best one on Thiniverse IMO. This one covers the face and doesn't go too far past the chin. I feel this is more accurate. I've seen some masks made that can go so far as to cover even the neck and I'm not a fan of that. This one is perfect as it fits my entire face and head. I have a lot of hair so it rises above the mask but you'll never see that with a hood up and I want to get a balaclava to wear with this

swtor-revans-mask-2_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

Agreed on all points - also I can't seem to find what the real source of those other models is where it's less detailed and more blocky with less sharp angles - I don't know what material they're modeling off of but it doesn't seem to be anything in kotor or other games, perhaps some later comics? Either way I'm glad the one I prefer is also the most detailed and from a kick-ass source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that all the old photos have been fixed since Photobucket is no longer free for 3rd party hosting.....:angry.....time for some new photos!!! :)

It's time to start painting the sections that need to be red. I want to keep using spray paint so I'm masking off areas with lots of tape and newspaper. Example:

HhJaXKh.jpg

I feel like I'm mummifying Lord Revan or he just came out of cosmetic surgery! But 2 coats of paint later...

OlmuPof.jpg

0VtGamW.jpg

It came out kind of shiny so I used some super fine steel wool to help remove the sheen. Now I need to get the areas around the cheeks. They're going to be a little trickier so I'm going to do them one at a time.

lQjxlvj.jpg

Here's it's current state...

l7pTA7A.jpg

Sorry. The lighting made the grey parts look like they had a blue tint. :facepalm My checklist has watered down to painting the last cheek, adding weathering effects, sealing the paint, installing the visor, and installing the strapping. I'm getting there!!

The weathering process I follow is actually very simple. All it involves is some acrylic paints and a rag. The first color I started with was called antique white. I wanted to give the effect of marks and scratches on the mask. I focused mostly on the red areas. Got something like this:

46Y0k0z.jpg

To help add some depth and character to the whole thing, I turned to some black acrylic. This is a technique I learned from one of Bill Doran's videos from Punished Props. You paint the area you want to weather...

CU2tUmJ.jpg

then wipe most of it away with a rag...

KDtXRZe.jpg

and then keep following the process until you achieve the amount of weathering you want...

WwZrlYr.jpg

I'm getting close to the finish line!

j7NdQMD.jpg

That just leaves the visor (which I have started) and the strapping. I'll elaborate more on these in future posts.

Installing the strapping was pretty straightforward. I bought a nice long strap with buckle. The idea was to cut sections to length but allow it to be adjustable for an optimal fit.

tzgYCfB.jpg

The female end was easy. I cut it long enough to reach the back of my head. The strap itself will be secured near the visor area hence why I cut an L shape at the end.

wXWq9Cx.jpg

The male end was a little trickier since I needed to make sure I didn't cut it too long or short and once again I wanted it to be adjustable. I cut twice the length I needed and then folded it over to achieve a nice tight fit when looped through the buckle. I then had to fold over two ends so I could make a section that the buckle could slide between and not slip out. Once I got my cuts and measurement correct, I secured the two ends with some E6000.

yfJbhdZ.jpg

After giving them over 12 hours to sit clamped, I then adhered the two ends within the mask and gave it some privacy.

7azYmrH.jpg

You can see it all in action once the mask has been completed. Only the visor remains and Lord Revan will be born!

For the visor, I actually wound up using one that I was going to use as part of a Mandalorian helmet. Seemed fitting seeing as how Revan's mask was that of a fallen Mandalorian warrior.

Ju7NAyO.jpg

Needless to say it was too large so I had to remove the T and keep the area that fits around the eyes. I also had to shorten the length of the whole piece and then reshape the visor to better fit the curve of the mask. This took some time and patience using my heat gun. The visor was finally secured using E6000 just like the straps.

8GR2gB2.jpg

You can see I removed a curved portion in the lower center so the visor wouldn't press into my nose. While it would fit, it was still feel irritated by the plastic. Luckily I keep some foam handy and placed some right in the groove. The comfort level went up phenomenally!

6UFEwrK.jpg

With that it is all done! I'll post some nice glam shots a little later.

NIce! I'm currently doing this same exact file for a friend myself -
PhotoGrid_1517084021265.jpg

And this after I'd done another variant a few months back.... and I think I've seen at least two more variations around the Internet. How many masks did this guy have, anyway?

DSCN1080.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back