Rest in Peace, Adam West...

My brother and I got to meet him very briefly at a 1975 photo signing at a mall in FL. Considering the guy had to sit at a tiny desk and meet over a hundred kids and their parents, my memory is that he was patient, humorous and gracious.

I've long since lost the b&w glossy he signed but luckily still have the one my Mom took that day.

RIP, Adam West.

View attachment 735316
In costume, too! How many stars would do that?

I was five years old when the Batman TV show debuted. Most of you guys grew up watching it in reruns when it was on every day, but back then it aired—I think—twice a week (?). You can't believe what a big deal this show was then. Today, there's a glut of superheroes on screens great and small (too many now) and endless cons celebrating comics and supers, but back then we had the old George Reeves Superman reruns and that was it. When Batman debuted it was like a gift from heaven.

Also, this was just a few years after the Cuban Missile Crisis, the president assassinated, the 6 o'clock news opening every night with the American death toll in Vietnam, civil rights riots, and turmoil and chaos on every doorstep. For small kids (and I'm sure for adults as well) it was a very frightening time. This show came around when we needed something good, something fun, something hopeful, and this did the trick. Yeah, it was corny, campy, etc., etc., etc., but when it was dark and the bad guys were all around us, Batman was there.

And 88 years is a good long run, and the man worked right up until the end, and everywhere he went people told him from their hearts what he'd meant to them. That can't be bad.

Rest easy, Adam.

Last edited:
I remember watching those reruns mentioned above and the movie more than a few times when it was on HBO. While I never was a huge Batman fan and was evej a little put off as a kid by the "campiness", I still watched it and my friends and I would talk about it.

You could really tell Mr. West enjoyed everything he did, and he was, and always will be my favorite "Family Guy" character.

RIP Mr. West, you will be missed.

Was it known he was sick with leukemia at all? At least, I never heard he was sick. Growing up, I had three Bat-men: Conroy, Keaton, and West. West was always on re-runs when I was a kid and this was before the animated series started airing. Hell, I remember exactly the first time I sat in front of the TV with a blanket and saw his film before seeing any of the other Batman stuff.

I don't think this often about many things but, without question, I think the '66 show was perfect and he was perfect in it. With him and Roger Moore gone, I think half of Heaven just got pregnant.

RIP

Just saw him in April at SVCC and he looked pretty good saw him at dinner. So Sad. Rip Adam you will be zremembered

I was five years old when the Batman TV show debuted. Most of you guys grew up watching it in reruns when it was on every day, but back then it aired—I think—twice a week (?). You can't believe what a big deal this show was then. Today, there's a glut of superheroes on screens great and small (too many now) and endless cons celebrating comics and supers, but back then we had the old George Reeves Superman reruns and that was it. When Batman debuted it was like a gift from heaven.

Also, this was just a few years after the Cuban Missile Crisis, the president assassinated, the 6 o'clock news opening every night with the American death toll in Vietnam, civil rights riots, and turmoil and chaos on every doorstep. For small kids (and I'm sure for adults as well) it was a very frightening time. This show came around when we needed something good, something fun, something hopeful, and this did the trick. Yeah, it was corny, campy, etc., etc., etc., but when it was dark and the bad guys were all around us, Batman was there.

And 88 years is a good long run, and the man worked right up until the end, and everywhere he went people told him from their hearts what he'd meant to them. That can't be bad.

Rest easy, Adam.

I was 8 at the time it debuted and remember it well. I thought it aired twice a week but I wasn't sure either but since both of us remember that I think it might be true.

Adam West will always be Batman as far as I'm concerned.

RIP Adam West!

awest.jpg

For the Bright Knight.

Adam West was perfect for that show. Absolutely perfect.

A lot of actors can play the Dark Knight. I don't think anyone could play the Bright Knight like Adam West.

Rest In Peace. And thank you.

The Wook

ps~To you older fellas who watched its original run, wouldn't it have been on just once a week? Didn't each episode's cliffhanger say something on the order or, "...to find out, tune in next week. Same bat time. Same bat channel."?

No, it was twice a week, each story being a two-parter. So the first episode would say ..."tomorrow, same bat time, same bat channel", and then the second episode would end with "next week, The Joker returns!", etc. The latter were removed for syndication.

I grew up watching the Batman TV series on PBS when I was younger, and enjoyed his guest role as Mayor Adam West on Family Guy. R.I.P. Mr. West. :*(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of the first shows I can remember watching. Also back when Nick at Night played it with Dick Van Dyke. Hard to feel sad when watching it tonight on MeTv, just such a cheery show.

IMG_1503.JPG

Yeah after the Clayton Moore - Lone Ranger debacle the studio decided to not raise a fuss about him appearing in costume if he wanted to.
R.I.P. thank you for all the good memories.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back