Zvezda SD fiber optic size question...

Fett_Ish

Sr Member
I am getting ready to order up my fiber for my Zvezda and was trying to decide on the size of them. I know Scarecrow used .5, but I was thinking of going .25 for smaller and more windows for a "larger" look. Any thoughts, caveats or recommendations requested. Thanks in advance....

I'm using .25 on mine. It's been a very tedious process. I lost count of how many drill bits I used but I can tell you, it was a lot. However, the end result is well worth the trouble.
IMG_0183.JPGIMG_0186.JPG

Thanks guys! I think the .25 is where I'm going. Man that does look very fragile though.....
The .25 fiber is pretty resilient stuff. I've been installing it in sections and gluing it before I move on to another section.Get yourself a good pin vise and a lot of # 80 bits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ordered a combo of .50 MM and .25 MM, the bulk of which is .25MM to create the look I want to achieve.

I'm still in the greeblie stage of creating approximation parts out of rod and sheet styrene to mimic the Avenger Studio model and will have a few more weeks of that before I can get into drilling.

I'm in the middle of the construction, using both 0,5 and 0,25 fibers. I have broken lots of 0,30mm bits, so I'm using now 0,35mm bits, more resistant.
As I wanted the fibers to be perfectly leveled on the surface even in the crevices, I first painted the model (black primer then white) and then carefully drilled the holes and put the fibers. For now the results are great.
Here is the bridge near complete, with mostly 0,25 and some 0,5 fibers, white and red, to mimic the original model:

P6020332.jpg

For more realism I reduced the brightness of leds with 39k resistors.

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of the construction, using both 0,5 and 0,25 fibers. I have broken lots of 0,30mm bits, so I'm using now 0,35mm bits, more resistant.
As I wanted the fibers to be perfectly leveled on the surface even in the crevices, I first painted the model (black primer then white) and then carefully drilled the holes and put the fibers. For now the results are great.
Here is the bridge near complete, with mostly 0,25 and some 0,5 fibers, white and red, to mimic the original model:

View attachment 735150

For more realism I reduced the brightness of leds with 39k resistors.
Looks great. How are you keeping the rows of holes so straight?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Looks great. How are you keeping the rows of holes so straight?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Using a plasticard strip or tamiya masking tape as a ruler. With a needle I do little holes as guides for the drill bits, to ensure that the bit point don't slip.

In the scratchbuilt garbage hatch I put also white 0.25mm fibers on the ceiling for illumination and red fibers on the floor, like signal lights, with the same technique illustrated above.

P6100416.jpgP6100415.jpgP6100411.jpg

Late to the party, but I will add that having done a template for the bridge FOs based on the ILM Avenger miniature, on the Zvezda, 0.25mm is the closest size for the bulk of the windows, while there are a handful of windows which match really well to 0.5mm. Currently working with .25 drill bits, and they're a giant pain, but yeah, for a good match to the filming miniature, .25mm with a bit of .5mm is the way to go.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back