Making a 3D file for printing from multiple photographs?

Slash-5

Sr Member
I'm sure several of you guys do this, but after days of searching, I'm lost.

I have a clay sculpture I'd like to photograph, and then create 3d files with.

I am on a Mac.

I have a 45 day trial of ZBrush.

I have a LOT of photos ready. Please just point me in the right direction! I'm going crazy here! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Everything I've found just shows a flat logo like image that they add a little depth to. I need to combine, say, 40 images to make a sculpture. One other problem is that some of the software shown in the tutorials on Youtube is no longer available...

I think you're on the wrong track, here. You'd probably have to sculpt it in Zbrush, I don't know of any way to get a computer to interpolate images into a 3D model. Other option would be to buy or borrow a 3D scanner, if it's a small enough piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think you're on the wrong track, here. You'd probably have to sculpt it in Zbrush, I don't know of any way to get a computer to interpolate images into a 3D model. Other option would be to buy or borrow a 3D scanner, if it's a small enough piece.

Programs like 123D Catch can do just this..

There's software that does it. That's how Google and Apple maps get their 3D city views from satellite data. Wiki's got a list of software that does the same thing. Some of it's publicly available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_photogrammetry_software

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_reconstruction_from_multiple_images

As with Autodesk's recent penchant for always changing things up Memento is now called Recap. Here is a model I created in Recap using 49 photos.

Altar01.jpg

One of the altars at the National Cathedral.

Programs like 123D Catch can do just this..

I tried that, it's now called Tinercad. I can't seem to import multiple image files with this. All the tutorials show a different interface. I wonder if it still does it...?

- - - Updated - - -

As with Autodesk's recent penchant for always changing things up Memento is now called Recap. Here is a model I created in Recap using 49 photos.

View attachment 735118

One of the altars at the National Cathedral.

Yea, I was all excite about this. However, it December they no longer off it for Mac. Sigh.

See what I'm dealing with here? LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone willing to help with a Blade Runner Chess set?

Umm....aren't the chess sets readily available on eBay ?

That's a lot of work to scan all the pieces, and print them, and paint them.

Ahhh! Sebastians chess set. I didn't catch the connection at first. The sets on Ebay are incorrect.

Slash-5, PM coming your way.

I use Agisoft Photoscan, which gets great results. It's not free though.

There's software that does it. That's how Google and Apple maps get their 3D city views from satellite data. Wiki's got a list of software that does the same thing. Some of it's publicly available.

Ironically, I've used photogrammetry software to get the 3D data out of Google Maps, since it's really difficult to rip the 3D data out any other way now.

Yes, photoScan is a nice piece of software, in used it to scan the Han Solo in carbonite and the ISD Avanger. Then I cleaned up in ZBrush. Btw, I'm working for Pixologic...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back