Studio Scale Sandcrawler (ANH)

marvin

Sr Member
Hi,

Here's my "new" project: the Studio Scale Jawa Sandcrawler. I will be recreating the Sandcrawler in its original Star Wars (A new Hope) configuration as it was at the time of filming in 1977. I think I will end up making it RC too, just like the original.

I started out by creating a 3D model accurate to the original. I did flatten some panels out, as the original panels slightly warped over time. Or maybe because during production the crew took turns riding it....

Sandcrawler_001.jpg

Now the build is progressing I find myself struggling with the last few ID's. If anyone had any idea on these It would be greatly appreciated if you could help me out either here on in PM.

Unknown Parts.jpg

Last edited:
From the 3D model I created 3D plans with tongue and groove connections. Brown is 12mm MDF, orange is 3mm MDF, yellow is 2mm MDF and white is styrene.

Sandcrawler_002.jpg

I created and internal box structure design for low weight and high structural strength and added cable guides throughout for future lighting and RC components.

Sandcrawler_003.jpg

After that the panels were lasercut and after an hour or three and copious amounts of two component urethane glue I ended up with this:

Sandcrawler_004.jpg

Sandcrawler_006.jpg

Next up is skinning everything with 1mm styrene and then another layer of panelling.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Big project so will take some time to complete. Hope to get most of the skinning done over the weekend and then the fun starts.

Last edited:
I wish I had your computer skills. Its almost like cheating......but in the best, most rewarding way :).

Well it's Sketchup, the easiest 3D program in excistence. You could teach a monkey to use it. So my advice is pick a project and just dive in, you will get there.

In the end it's just a tool. The work is in getting the dimensions and angles right from the ref. And crosschecking with kit parts.

Yes but still working on it. Hope to have most of the base layer of styrene on after this weekend... proving to be a lot of work

That is looking awesome. Love all the 3D designs and all the craftsmanship going into this. Can't wait to see it all paneled up.

Thanks. I'm still working on that first layer of skinning. Finally have my new styrene in so hopefully I can finish it over the weekend.

In the meantime I could use some help. I'm having trouble identifying the long flat pieces in the following pic. I thought they may be parts of trailer, but can't be sure. Does anyone have any idea about these parts?

T2 - trailer.jpg

Yes i dont think evergreen was ever used but Plastruct had something similar. I think i might just be wanting it to be kit parts...

Thanks guys. The skinning is taking quite some time. Everything on this thing is a big project in itself.

Looking forward when the skinning is done so i can attack each panel as a seperate mini project.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back