Studio Scale Sandcrawler (ANH)

Thanks guys. Progress is a bit slow. Lots of stuff to prepare and tidy up on the underside. Hope to finish that up this week so i can move on to panelling and detailing each section. Thats where the fun is....

Last edited:
So the first of the section is basically done. Others have been plated as well. Every plate cut by hand and tried to match the variations in panel spacing with the studio model. Face looks a bit slim but it will get a 1mm plating layer on both sides which will make it spot on.

Sandcrawler_015.jpg

Last edited:
amazing programming job marvin, ive been running a lasercut for a while and your technique of developing models from 2d panels to 3d volumes its amazing

Thanks man. I’m just making this up as i go along but having an engineering background helps.

I just wanted to have as little room for deviations between 3D and the real life build.

So next stage. Both front sections are basically done. Work has started on the sides and should be finished in a day or three.

Sandcrawler_025.jpg

Since I'm recreating the 1977 version of the model there's fewer parts on these sections than what most of us remember. They added a lot of parts to the "throat" section fro the Special Editions.

I'm still missing one ID: the binoculars. If anyone can help with determining which kit they are from I'd be most grateful.

unknownparts_F2.jpg

Thanks guys. She is starting to come together. With each section i get confirmation that all dimensions and angles are correct and it starts looking like a Sandcrawler instead of a big white box.

AWESOME work there Marvin!!! I can really appreciate the hand cut, styrene cutting nature of what you are doing here, and you are pulling it off amazingly perfect! This really looks great and is definitely on it's way to being added to the great Star Wars replica creations!! Keep up the great work!
-Sean

Totally agree with everything everyone has said. I bet you get a lot of satisfaction doing this and at the end of the project you will be on the biggest HIGH ever, for a while at least, until the next project comes along. Keep up the good work and will be following this thread closely.:thumbsup

Hi Marvin... It's just breathe taking... The amount of precision.... You must have so much patience...

Btw. Volgens mij kom je uit Nederland klopt dat?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4X using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Should have some nice updates at the end of the week as the whole front section is done (lets call that the head and neck). Ive already started on... i guess the shoulders?

Socrates: Yes sure am. Delft

just found this gem of a build - cant wait to follow this. I am in the throws of building Randy Coopers Crawler which has been great fun although I confess to straying and adding quite a lot of my own add-lib detail

Its great to see a studio scale crawler being brought to life using modern day technology for accuracy. Your need to get a picture of this with Lorne when its completed - I'm sure you know it, but his book explains more about the tracks and how they extended the links etc

I'm crawling along with your build - and looking forward to seeing more soon

OOTINEE !

Haha I'd love for Lorne to check it out once done, trouble would be getting it from The Netherlands to the USA in one piece. I think sending him pics would have to suffice.

Yeah I know about the injection folded extension. I can do that too. The trouble will be in the tracks as it's impossible for me to source enough vintage sherman tracks and parts to do the build that way. This will probably be my only real concession that i will HAVE to make..... :cry

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back