Studio Scale Sandcrawler (ANH)

Thanks guys. Big project so will take some time to complete. Hope to get most of the skinning done over the weekend and then the fun starts.
Great subject, one I wanted to do, only problem was have you solved the four tank chassis problem, I couldn't think of a cheap solution to doing the tracks

Yeah no solution for that yet. Truth is very little is visible.

I might go for a Heng Long substitute.

Dont know yet. This is going to be a two year build so i might be able to get them together in that time.

This is something that has baffled me too. I think I might have a solution for the tracks. Possibly cheaper. Just depends on what you are willing to sacrifice in authenticity.

I'll take a photo later tonight to show what I'm thinking.

Hey Eric!

Good to hear from you and thanks for that ID! I can't believe I missed that one.... :facepalm

Cheers mate!
Marvin

The real fun will be the steering, which will have to be proportional, with the treads on the inside of the turn rotating more than the outside treads.

Here is the photo of my track pieces idea. Lego track pieces.
According to my calculations, 1 1/2 inch width is perfect for SS. Any input? Am I off on the sizing?

image1 2.JPG

Here is the photo of my track pieces idea. Lego track pieces.
According to my calculations, 1 1/2 inch width is perfect for SS. Any input? Am I off on the sizing?

View attachment 739958

Well I like going precise on my builds, only allowing some artistic liberty with straightening some things out. So I'm actually still on the fence about using another kit as a basis, which will probably only have small differences compared to the Tamiya Sherman.

Even though the sizing might be ok (haven't done any measurements on the tracks yet), the details will be way more of that i'd be comfortable with. Also note that the tracks had an addition to them so were wider than the kit parts themselves.

Cheers,
Marvin

Well I like going precise on my builds, only allowing some artistic liberty with straightening some things out. So I'm actually still on the fence about using another kit as a basis, which will probably only have small differences compared to the Tamiya Sherman.

Even though the sizing might be ok (haven't done any measurements on the tracks yet), the details will be way more of that i'd be comfortable with. Also note that the tracks had an addition to them so were wider than the kit parts themselves.

Cheers,
Marvin
Yeah, I completely understand.

An amazing start Marvin, looks the business. :thumbsup :thumbsup What sort of glue are you using to stick the styrene to the MDF?

Thanks guys! I used a very strong two-part urethane glue that comes in two cans and has to be mixed 1:1. Rough up both surfaces and stick on. Very sticky stuff. Easy to clean up (while not set) with acetone. Only downside is it takes 4-6 hours to set up and 24 hours to harden out. But since its only needed for the first layer of skinning that's fine. I just did every surface so from now on i can just used styrene bonder.

Cool project and great start. Hope I'm wrong, but most everything Star Wars isn't easy. I would be surprised if the Lego track works. However, did t Tamiya make larger scale motorized tanks. I would think ILM used something off the shelf for the treads.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back