Can we set up a movie "rating only" thread?

It's a good idea, but the issue arises that ratings are entirely subjective without context and can be misleading.

Let's take Pulp Fiction as an example. It's considered to be a fantastic film. 10 stars all around.

Personally, I hated the movie. I found it boring, crass, and poorly made, but I also get why other people (seemingly everyone else) like it.

If all I saw was a rating system that told me I had to watch the movie, I would wonder just what the hell everyone was smoking, because there's no context.

Don't just tell me that it's good or bad. Tell me WHY it's good or bad. If you can't do that, I have no interest in your opinion on the matter, because you really don't have one.

Getting into the why is why we have threads :)

It's a good idea, but the issue arises that ratings are entirely subjective without context and can be misleading.

Let's take Pulp Fiction as an example. It's considered to be a fantastic film. 10 stars all around.

Personally, I hated the movie. I found it boring, crass, and poorly made, but I also get why other people (seemingly everyone else) like it.

If all I saw was a rating system that told me I had to watch the movie, I would wonder just what the hell everyone was smoking, because there's no context.

Don't just tell me that it's good or bad. Tell me WHY it's good or bad. If you can't do that, I have no interest in your opinion on the matter, because you really don't have one.
Wow really? Hated pulp fiction? I think youre the only person I have encountered that hated that movie. Hell, even my mom likes that movie. Not all the parts of course but as a whole she thought it was well made and entertaining.

I especially like the poll idea, and showing how a person voted. That would be neat.

I despise Pulp Fiction, and almost everything else Tarantino has done. Kill bill Vol 1 is about the only film of his I actually enjoyed.

...add me to the Pulp Fiction list. There were some good bits, but, overall the film didn't do much for me at all. I find Resevoir Dogs a far superior movie - but, other than that, Inglorious Basterds is about the only film of his that I can say I like and can watch over again. I also didn't care for Nolan's Batflicks at all, sure Dark Knight had a great performance from Ledger, but other than that, I can't say there's a whole lot there I like.

The problem with assigning numbers or rank is that it doesn't give you the full story. I didn't like this movie because or a reason or even acknowledging that it just wasn't for you helps at times.

I've never enjoyed any Tarantino movie. I watched Pulp fiction only a few years ago just to see what the hub bub was all about. Did not like it at all.

Of course its ok to like what you like, but really, on this board it seems like there really is no accounting for taste.

Ok 2 people :lol

I would ask why you liked Kill Bill but I think I know the answer. ;)

Heh. Multiple reasons, actually. I thought the writing was much tighter than most of his movies, and the music was also a big attraction for me. The fact that it revolved around a female assassin taking revenge on a group of other female assassins and their creepy "sugar daddy" leader was only part of it.

I tend to dislike Tarantino for the same reason I get annoyed with Whedon. They both fall in love with their own cleverness and it gets in the way of their storytelling a lot of the time.

Holy necro-thread. I didn't realize that this was an old thread... that I posted in, and obviously have a difference of opinion about. :lol

I was planning to make a post by referencing and linking the previous thread from 2015 about this, but looks like it has been merged already.

Getting back to joeranger's suggestion of Recommendation format, I think we could expand it a little to have more range of opinions.

And despite my personal reservations about movie ratings (as I ranted on page 1), if more members want the rating system we can definitely look into it.

For now, here are the three options we can go with:

A) Recommendation system
B) 10 star rating
C) 5 star rating

Note: Either format will be implemented in the existing post-release thread as a poll and there won't be a separate poll thread. Also currently there is no direct option to add a poll after a thread is created, but hopefully the Admins will be able to incorporate that.

I am leaning towards the Recommendation idea. So here is what I am suggesting for the poll.

What did you think of <movie title>?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theatres.
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theatre visit.
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Heh. Multiple reasons, actually. I thought the writing was much tighter than most of his movies, and the music was also a big attraction for me. The fact that it revolved around a female assassin taking revenge on a group of other female assassins and their creepy "sugar daddy" leader was only part of it.

I tend to dislike Tarantino for the same reason I get annoyed with Whedon. They both fall in love with their own cleverness and it gets in the way of their storytelling a lot of the time.
I liked Kill Bill, thought the pacing dragged for a bit, but I dont think there is any tarantino movie that doesnt. I agree with you there, about they patting themselves on the back, I find Tarantino does that way more, especially with Inglorious Basterds. Its palpable in that film, especially at the end.
JD See I find Reservoir dogs as one of those movies that you only need to see once, didnt really do it for me. Still a decent movie, love the beginning, and the Mr. Orange reveal, but other than that...meh. At least Pulp Fiction had some humor in it. I can see not liking The Dark Knight Rises, because that movie felt like it was directed by someone else, while the first 2 bat entries were superb, the third fell flat, especially for somoene as "smart" as Nolan says/thinks he is. But Im not surprised you dont like them. So far, I dont think you like anything thats cool or "mainstream" to like. That I have seen anyway. *shrug*

But yeah, rating system, all for it! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That's funny, because I've raved about a lot of "mainstream" movies - including Wonder Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy, TFA, Rogue One, most if not all of the Marvel movies, Of the top grossing movies of 2017 (so far), I've seen 5 - and 3 of them got raves from me... and Split and Logan were both solid even if they might've just missed for me (but I also understand why people did like them). (Guardians, Get Out, WW were the others).

I think it might be more appropriate that I don't have the same taste as you when it comes to "mainstream" or "cool" movies.

That's funny, because I've raved about a lot of "mainstream" movies - including Wonder Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy, TFA, Rogue One, most if not all of the Marvel movies, Of the top grossing movies of 2017 (so far), I've seen 5 - and 3 of them got raves from me... and Split and Logan were both solid even if they might've just missed for me (but I also understand why people did like them). (Guardians, Get Out, WW were the others).

I think it might be more appropriate that I don't have the same taste as you when it comes to "mainstream" or "cool" movies.
I choose my words poorly, I shouldnt have said cool or mainstream. I apologize for that.

Movie polls and ratings are a waste of time and are not worth a cracker.
Intelligent meaningful discussion of particular movies is more interesting and useful.

I was planning to make a post by referencing and linking the previous thread from 2015 about this, but looks like it has been merged already.

Getting back to joeranger's suggestion of Recommendation format, I think we could expand it a little to have more range of opinions.

And despite my personal reservations about movie ratings (as I ranted on page 1), if more members want the rating system we can definitely look into it.

For now, here are the three options we can go with:

A) Recommendation system
B) 10 star rating
C) 5 star rating

Note: Either format will be implemented in the existing post-release thread as a poll and there won't be a separate poll thread. Also currently there is no direct option to add a poll after a thread is created, but hopefully the Admins will be able to incorporate that.

I am leaning towards the Recommendation idea. So here is what I am suggesting for the poll.

What did you think of <movie title>?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theatres.
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theatre visit.
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

This poll and rating idea : >>>> It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only concern is that people will vote without having seen the film, just because they are fans of a rival franchise, dislike the star or director, or if they just want to be a dick.

glunark wrote: My only concern is that people will vote without having seen the film, just because they are fans of a rival franchise, dislike the star or director, or if they just want to be a dick.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep.... A poll and rating scheme has to be carefully designed and implemented if it is to be useful.
Not worth the trouble to have a poll or rating system >>>> waste of time.
If someone wants poll ratings, there are already various sources (some good and some bad) outside of this Forum that one can go
to get their movie rating estimates and more reviews. For example Metacritic, Youtube Reviews and Rotten Tomatoes websites, Wikipedia etc.
If there is one implemented in this Forum, I am not fussed. They are generally useless information....mostly ignored anyway.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back