Starbug from Red Dwarf

Well, with the arrival of the weekend, some more work has been done.
I almost feel like I am getting to the end of this!
I worked on the landing gear, two little ariels for the front and the rear sensor array thingy.
I also got the fins reattached after their disagreement with my 3 year old!

IMG_4662.JPGIMG_4660.JPGIMG_4659.JPGIMG_4658.JPG

I do have a question for the collective brain that is you lot. Has anyone ever had decals custom made? If so how did you go about it? Can you get them done in white?
I am needing the starbug logo and numbers done. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers all!!!

I've never had decals printed, but I have printed out various symbols/numbers etc ,found online. Trim the printed area out with a sharp knife and use the remainder as a stencil.

If you're based in the UK, you could try a company called 4d Modelshop, they make bespoke dry transfers (i.e. like Letraset). I've used them before, and it's very good. Have a look in their "Bespoke Services" section here. They also do vinyl cutting, that might work, too.

Hi all
Thanks for the feedback, I am still investigating possible ways of doing the letters, I am not sure I trust myself to do the cutting!
Some work on the cockpit this weekend. It is not screen accurate, I suspect the set was not built in a dome!
I have done my best to make it look busy and somewhat lifelike. I will add some weathering when everything has dried.

IMG_4675.JPGIMG_4676.JPGIMG_4677.JPGIMG_4679.JPGIMG_4680.JPGIMG_4674.JPG

Looking good, bit like a trip down memory lane!

Regarding the decals, perhaps a signwriting business could cut them out of white vinyl?I got the ones on mine made by 4D as rubdowns, around twenty years ago, along with a lot of other white decals for me and others; still cost a lot then!

Keep up the good stuff!

Hi again everyone.
Hit a bit of a slow point for a while with not much progress, real life takes over like that.
But, over the last few days I have managed to get some done.
The front feet are almost finished, the tail fins are on but need a bit more smoothing and she is GREEN!!!!
IMG_4700.JPG

I have also started work on a base. It is designed to be a tiny section of the hull of red dwarf. Not sure if you can see it on the pictures but it will be red with a white F painted on so it looks like the end of the word RED DWARF that appears on the front of the ship.
IMG_4696.JPGIMG_4701.JPG
Happy gluing all!!!

Well, its been ages since I have posted.
I got a new job and life etc etc.....
I also was not happ with the shade of green, so I repainted her, al lot happier with the new shade.
I got all the stripe details done and I have started the weathering. I am using tamyia clear smoke which seems to be doing the job nicely.
She still looks very shiny, both the green and the smoke are gloss. I am hoping a coat of matt with sort that out.
Its good to be back though!!!
IMG_5168.JPGIMG_5169.JPGIMG_5170.JPG

Got a little bit more done. White stripes on the tail fins. I might have to dirty the white a little though, looks too bright.
I have also pretty much finished the base. It is meant to be a small section of the hull of red dwarf itself. A few greeblies and some shading with different reds and it is look pretty nice.
Comments welcome as always.
IMG_5186.JPGIMG_5187.JPGIMG_5188.JPG

Hi folks.
I have been chipping away slowly at the bug. The feet have taken a bit of doing, they are actually much trickier than i first thought. I have re done them a couple of times now, but I think I am happy with them now. I made the design up a bit, but hey, its scratch built!
I have also added the number 1 in various locations and painted lines to represent the tail fins.
I have letter decals on the way and that should see it about done!
IMG-5195.JPGIMG-5196.JPGIMG-5197.JPGIMG-5198.JPG

I'm in the process of doing a Starbug myself and have a question for all you guys.

How on earth did you find your centrelines and mark your areas to cut olike the rear and underside engines on a hemisphere shape without the lines warping? I'm using Christmas baubles too but I'm encountering no end of problems as straight lines or centre points don't seem to exist

Beautiful work as well, Darth and congrats!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back