Revisiting my First (and unfinished) Pep Build

katinski

Sloppy. I wished i had done a better job and probably more research before I dove into this project.

I pepped it out, glassed it and splatted some body filler on it and this was the result. I started this around the time bvs was released and the hype around the movie got me going. However, i started to lose interest when it didn't look like it was going to get better.

d830cd2c5a8dac439367e6eea5c95a9f.jpg

Firstly, the file i got was separated into two pieces. The lower bottom part of the helemt was a separate piece and i didnt see any other way for them to connect to each other so i patched it up with a lot of cardstock and masking tape only to find out this would be a pain to glass. It was too late to remove so i did a sloppy job of cutting tjat part off with a dremel.

6e6d416f44dbdc0c060095bb94464a83.jpg

Secondly, the file was geometric. (Probably the reason why i chose that free file over the detailed and difficult files that were to be purchased). After glassing, i went straight to the body filler stage, only to find out how much work i had to put in to get it to look good, and not geometric.

fc1c3211efe9ac8900c35a9295bf1c37.jpg

8ce8d6d95b6e0dafa9b4d553cf7728ba.jpg

485b732f6fb492ddad353e22d7c5ca33.jpg

Thirdly, i didnt pay much attentiom to detail. It was late that i found out some parts of the helmet werent glassed, and were starting to warp because i was wet sanding the helmet in hopes of getting a good finish. So i had to go over multiple spots and place fiberglass mesh. Note: i just found more spots that i had initially missed. If i were to continue this build, i's probably just glass it on the outside because it seems easier that way.

062c10ea52346c0eebc3ff507aeb6143.jpg

30c6ff8e3565782f18340f82116b72f4.jpg

Now, i don't know whether i should try and salvage this piece or just make another one. Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back