[help] Is there anything that will dissolve Sculpey?

CustardBug

I molded this sculpture using Sculpey as the teeth and now I'm trying to clean it out of the mold but I can't see into the cavities of the bottom row of teeth. So I'm wonder if there's anything I can slosh in there that would guarantee dissolve all the Sculpey so I can get a good cast? Would really appreciate any suggestions. I've tried dish detergent and Isopropyl Myristate, both soften it but not so much dissolve it all the way.

Oh and my mold is made with Ultracal 30 the same way you make a latex mask.
BnO5Ytu.jpg

I've used glycerin to smooth sculpey, but only for a surface effect. If that doesn't work, try 91% isopropyl alcohol, or acetone. Use with care though, with gloves and goggles over a safe surface. Good luck.

Lighter fluid, but toxic to breathe, and then there's turpenoid odourless. It will dissolve Sculpey just as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Lighter fluid, but toxic to breathe, and then there's turpenoid odourless. It will dissolve Sculpey just as well. The only thing with the terpenoid is it does not evaporate, might make a good mold release though. Never tried it.

Lighter fluid, but toxic to breathe, and then there's turpenoid odourless. It will dissolve Sculpey just as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Lighter fluid, but toxic to breathe, and then there's turpenoid odourless. It will dissolve Sculpey just as well. The only thing with the terpenoid is it does not evaporate, might make a good mold release though. Never tried it.

I actually instead smashed an old mirror with a brick and used a tiny piece from that to stick inside my mold so I can seeing up into the cavities. Worked pretty well as I saw all the little bits I missed, getting it out was still a bit hard.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back