Droid Fusion Furnace

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I'm building a couple Droid Fusion Furnaces. A friend asked me to build him one of these little gadgets that charge Artoo on Dagobah in ESB. I've never paid it much attention. Didn't know what it was called, or any specs on it. So, along with his, I'm building one for myself as well. So ... two droid fusion furnaces, coming up!

breakdown.jpgDVD5-fusioncharger2.jpgfusion generator star wars-sm.jpg

After doing a bunch of research I determined a commonly agreed upon size. It's definitely bigger than I thought. Almost 12" tall and 13" in diameter!

The bulk of my build is mdf. Which means lots of ring cutting on my router table. I got really good at this building my R2D2 last year.

The rest is lots and lots of cast resin details. built all the fittings and greeblies out of various hardware finds and created a mold. This allowed me to created the dozes of little pieces needed.

So far so good. I'm rounding the corner on all the pieces for assembly.

From there I'll be putting it all together and figuring out the interior illumination.

IMG_7476.jpgIMG_7445.jpgIMG_7447.jpgIMG_7434.jpgIMG_7444.jpgIMG_7448.jpgIMG_7472.jpgIMG_7473.jpgIMG_7474.jpgIMG_7475.jpg

Nice job so far. Check out the R2 Builders club forum for a thread about these. I'd love a kit to go with my R2. Would be cool to mount his charger inside.

Yeah, I thought about having mine be a charger for Artoo. But I already have a pretty slick on-board solution for that. So this will just be a cool light for my shop .... unless.... I could have usb plugs on it to charge my phone while I'm working ... :)

Like trent said there is a ton of info in that thread!

This is coming together great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup ... some of the dimensions ... are based on that thread. I may be deviating a bit, especially on the top piece which was originally a large induction fan blade. I thought about 3-d printing that entire part, but opted to scratch build mine.

So this project is pretty simple, but it's an exercise in part duplication. Tonight I spent a few hours cutting and gluing 144 spaces onto the large rings. I created a simple jig to make sure I get these in a consistent place. The assembled pics here are just dry fit. I'll get all of them to line up when I glue everything for real.

IMG_7481.JPGIMG_7505.JPGIMG_7537.JPGIMG_7533.JPGIMG_7540.JPGIMG_7539.JPGIMG_7538.JPG

I also have been testing ideas for The lighting effect. I need a frosted/trnaslucent material to create the inner "core". I can't seem to find sheet stock I like. Tried acrylic but it was too rigid to make the curve. On a whim, I picked up some flexible cutting mats.

For the light itself, I want the classic orange glow you see in the ESB scene. I'm going to be using a single orange LED bulb.

IMG_7543.JPGIMG_7542.JPGIMG_7541.JPGIMG_7544.JPG

IMG_7558.jpgIMG_7557.jpgIMG_7550.jpgIMG_7548.jpgIMG_7546.jpgIMG_7556.jpgIMG_7555.jpgIMG_7553.jpgIMG_7551.jpgIMG_7559.jpg

Final assembly tonight. Everything is glued up and hitting paint. I base coated everything with Rustoluem Metallic black. Then weathered everything with browns and blacks to make it look Star Wars-y. I finally found a nice piece of 1/16" frosted acrylic ... Cut to size and inserted in the ring assembly. I didn't even heat bend it. Just rolled it and stuck it in.

Just need to do final electronics and all the hoses. Shouldn't be long now.

Thanks for your compliments. I have no plans for a run. This was a pretty laborious build. I would need to find ways to speed up the process if I did.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back