Wonder Woman (2017) Cloak

So I've been working on adapting my BVS Wonder Woman cosplay to be for the standalone film! One of my big projects is making the cloak worn in this movie and I wanted to start a thread for those also working on the cloak so we can help each other out!

Here are the two main images I've been working off of

699ddb97e97afde9d7a63b95cf8d4044.jpg Cn7fnjeWgAAkcfa.jpg

I've been checking the local fabric stores but haven't found a fabric or trim to my liking yet.

The biggest challenged I'm having at the moment though is figuring out the shape of the cloak. At one point in the film we see the cloak belted in the front, but the belt is not visible when we see Diana's back which got me wondering if rather than the cloak having sleeves it just has open sides. Any one know?

The cloak doesn't have sleeves it has long slits that the astrakhan type fur hangs out of :) This way the belt only holds her left front down as it is looped through the slit. There is potential to wear the cloak with both fronts held down as well- I can't remember if she did though.

I suspect this may get moved to the D*C forum- I started a thread for all things Amazonian which is about to be filled with links to the RPF Pulse section :)

I just watched it a third time and fully agree! The toys keep showing sleeves so I'm glad you are seeing the same design I am!
I'm fairly certain both sides do get held down at a certain point, I'll try to remember when on my next viewing.

I was a bit annoyed how I couldn't explain a few specifics so I think the belt loops through an opening in a seam that you can see in the piccie here:
rs_634x949-170519184733-634.wonder-woman-55.51917.jpg
http://www.eonline.com/news/855030/wonder-woman-sneak-peek-see-58-photos-from-the-movie#photo-815256
If the cloak is like the others then it's based on a circle with regular seams that follow the circular edge (they wind up looking straight) and you can see a seam across her bicep that looks like it turns down over her bust. That is really a fold I think, the seam is likely to be straighter.
But it looks like there is a short opening through that seam to allow the belt to hold that part of the cloak in place. There may be snaps/velcro hidden in the cloak (and likely several copies of said cloak for diferrent sequences and some probably do not have the opening.)

So a combo of hidden fastening and using existing seams.

- - - Updated - - -

I was a bit annoyed how I couldn't explain a few specifics so I think the belt loops through an opening in a seam that you can see in the piccie here:
rs_634x949-170519184733-634.wonder-woman-55.51917.jpg
http://www.eonline.com/news/855030/wonder-woman-sneak-peek-see-58-photos-from-the-movie#photo-815256
If the cloak is like the others then it's based on a circle with regular seams that follow the circular edge (they wind up looking straight) and you can see a seam across her bicep that looks like it turns down over her bust. That is really a fold I think, the seam is likely to be straighter.
But it looks like there is a short opening through that seam to allow the belt to hold that part of the cloak in place. There may be snaps/velcro hidden in the cloak (and likely several copies of said cloak for diferrent sequences and some probably do not have the opening.)

So a combo of hidden fastening and using existing seams.

I think I'm going to try to start working on this mock up tonight! I'd love to see yours if y'all are making it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m so glad other people are puzzling through the same things I’ve been wondering about this cloak. I’m in planning/research stages for the cloak + tiara/bracers/weapons right now.

I agree that the cloak has openings in the side seams instead of sleeves. Still hoping to find a really clear definitive photo of that though.

For fabric I’ve been considering fleece or plain felt. I’m thinking that’ll lend the stiffness/thickness and kind of rough homespun texture her cloak has. For trim I’m looking at a few different faux furs from Fabric Empire.
Long Pile Alpaca: http://www.fabricempire.com/faux-fu...ic-alpaca-black-60-wide-sold-by-the-yard.aspx
Mongolian Faux Fur: http://www.fabricempire.com/mongolian-faux-fur-black.aspx
Those seem to be a fairly close match for texture and length. The Mongolian Curly Sheep Fake Fur is similar too. http://www.fabricempire.com/curly-2-tone-fake-faux-fur-black-fabric-by-the-yard.aspx. But the fibers look shorter and they don’t seem to have swatches of that one available.
I'm hoping to get some swatches soon, so if you don’t have a trim by then I can let you know how they are in person.

https://nz.pinterest.com/pin/465630048957923255/
Woo! You can see there is a lot of piecing in the cloak and yes, slits for the belt on both sides! It is bound with a strip of lighter material on each side of the slit. Possibly plain bias tape?

Nice catch on the smaller slits for the belt! I hadn't noticed those before. I’ll probably use plain bias tape to bind them on mine.

That's what I'm trying to figure out, the piecing and extra seams on there...

Figuring out the placement for all the piecing is the biggest challenge for me right now. As far as I can tell, there are at least two piecing seams for three panels:
Halfway between the shoulder and elbow, which runs to about the hip:
attachment copy.jpg
Mid-thigh, which runs to about the calf:
gal-gadot-wonder-woman-movie-lu-1080x1920 copy.jpg 18739648_1511282832227094_4182901554191154711_n copy.jpeg
The back piecing seam is also visible from the inside, so definitely unlined, and those calf seams makes it look like the piecing follows the same pattern on the back as on the front (like the piecing seams start/meet at the side seam, and run diagonally to the center front and center back respectively).
There might also be another seam closer to the shoulder? It looks more prominent/even than a wrinkle or fold but less prominent than some of the other seams, so it’s hard to tell.
1448130681-wonder-woman-movie-gal-gadot copy.jpg
If I can’t figure out anything else, I’ll probably follow this toy’s layout (which seems pretty much accurate to what I'm seeing in set photos and stills) with two piecing seams and have the upper piecing and lower piecing start equal distances from the arm slit.
JAKKS-Pacific-DC-Comics-Wonder-Woman-Movie-19-inch-Big-Figs-10.jpg

b5d0f6d12672e8fd03ff4fc9e44ff436.jpg

I used this pattern and I'm really happy with it as a starting point!
df42cce475db23a7e82f83a0dedb7275.jpg

right now it's just a muslin base but I think posting a picture here will motivate me to work on it more lmao

I have a wip wonder woman cosplay for my 10 year old and I am interested in making the cloak. This thread is driving me closer to adding it to the project list.

has anyone had any luck sourcing their fur for the cape? Those fabric empire ones posted in this tread look great, but I'm always so nervous to order fabric online haha

13cc44ae7ebb772e65238d9688027bbd.jpg
e63b7ac9fb9c2e933c9836926eddc87b.jpg

drew out where I think the piecing would go and I'm mostly happy with their placement right now!
picked up my fabric today too! it's not perfect, but I think I'll be happy with the final result
6f2aee1eef0eef95cead9263fec90e61.jpg

d982fc367e6e8175dc436e55235b12bd.jpg
I added a pocket to the inside so I can keep my phone on me at conventions!
all that's left is to sew on the hood, source and add the fur trim, and hem the whole thing!

Have you happened to see the furs in person yet? I'm dying to order ahah

I’m so glad other people are puzzling through the same things I’ve been wondering about this cloak. I’m in planning/research stages for the cloak + tiara/bracers/weapons right now.

I agree that the cloak has openings in the side seams instead of sleeves. Still hoping to find a really clear definitive photo of that though.

For fabric I’ve been considering fleece or plain felt. I’m thinking that’ll lend the stiffness/thickness and kind of rough homespun texture her cloak has. For trim I’m looking at a few different faux furs from Fabric Empire.
Long Pile Alpaca: http://www.fabricempire.com/faux-fu...ic-alpaca-black-60-wide-sold-by-the-yard.aspx
Mongolian Faux Fur: http://www.fabricempire.com/mongolian-faux-fur-black.aspx
Those seem to be a fairly close match for texture and length. The Mongolian Curly Sheep Fake Fur is similar too. http://www.fabricempire.com/curly-2-tone-fake-faux-fur-black-fabric-by-the-yard.aspx. But the fibers look shorter and they don’t seem to have swatches of that one available.
I'm hoping to get some swatches soon, so if you don’t have a trim by then I can let you know how they are in person.

Nice catch on the smaller slits for the belt! I hadn't noticed those before. I’ll probably use plain bias tape to bind them on mine.

Figuring out the placement for all the piecing is the biggest challenge for me right now. As far as I can tell, there are at least two piecing seams for three panels:
Halfway between the shoulder and elbow, which runs to about the hip:
View attachment 737973
Mid-thigh, which runs to about the calf:
View attachment 737974 View attachment 737975
The back piecing seam is also visible from the inside, so definitely unlined, and those calf seams makes it look like the piecing follows the same pattern on the back as on the front (like the piecing seams start/meet at the side seam, and run diagonally to the center front and center back respectively).
There might also be another seam closer to the shoulder? It looks more prominent/even than a wrinkle or fold but less prominent than some of the other seams, so it’s hard to tell.
View attachment 737977
If I can’t figure out anything else, I’ll probably follow this toy’s layout (which seems pretty much accurate to what I'm seeing in set photos and stills) with two piecing seams and have the upper piecing and lower piecing start equal distances from the arm slit.
View attachment 737976

Have you happened to see the furs in person yet? I'm dying to order ahah

Yes! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've had them for a while, but I've been finishing a different project so I kind of forgot about them. :p Sorry for the photo quality too, but I was using my phone and the lighting in my apartment isn't great. In person all the furs are a true black color.

Left to right is the alpaca, the regular Mongolian (not the curly sheep), and the long pile gorilla (http://www.fabricempire.com/faux-fur-fabric-long-pile-gorilla-black-60-wide-sold-by-the-yard.aspx).
20170710_133153 copy.jpg

The alpaca definitely seems like the right kind of fur as far as curliness and texture, but this particular one has kind of cheap looking fibers. It's still pretty decent, just looks more plastic-y and faux than some others. It does photograph a little better than it looks in person, though all the grey looking speckles in this photo are reflections from light hitting what I assume are certain fibers that are shinier than the rest (which doesn't help the fake appearance).
20170710_133339 copy.jpg

The regular Mongolian is my favorite of the three. It's a close match in length and general shagginess, but it’s chunkier and a little intentionally matted and less curly (rather than looser/fuzzier brushed out fibers on the movie cloak). But the fiber quality is nice so that makes it look less fake, and for me that makes up for any slight differences in texture. I don't know that I'll find anything better on the tight budget I'll have for mine, so this is probably what I'll get.
20170710_133535.jpg

And the gorilla is similar to the Mongolian in length, but shinier and thinner and less textured (it kind of looks like a cheaper, more artificial version of the Mongolian). Fiber quality is a little bit better than the alpaca but still kind of the same plastic-y sheen, and this fur type is the least like the movie cloak, so it's the weakest of the three overall.
20170710_133504.jpg

So of these at least, I highly recommend the regular Mongolian, but I ultimately recommend getting swatches if you can.

And your cloak looks fantastic so far! What fabric did you end up getting? I swatched Fabric Empire's felt and it was way too scratchy, so I'm looking at JoAnn's felt or fleece but I still haven't decided on anything. Your fabric looks really nice. Also really good to know which pattern you chose and that it worked out. I've been comparing a bunch of them and trying to decide how full/loose versus shaped/fitted the shoulders should be (like whether the side seams should actually curve over the shoulder following the shape of the neck/shoulder/arm, or whether the whole thing should basically be a half circle shape so the shoulder area is loose, if that makes sense).

No worries! I know how it is :)
I actually just ordered some swatches as well, I hadn't even scrolled down far enough on the site to realize I could! Based off your pictures, I agree that the regular Mongolian is probably the best! Once I get my swatches, I'll test them against my cloak!

So my fabric in person is definitely too shiny BUT it is so soft that I think the tradeoff of being less screen accurate is worth it. It's Luxe Fleece Solids in Licorice Luxe. http://www.joann.com/luxe-fleece-solids/zprd_14752356a.html my cloak is incredibly warm and heavy, but I don't think that's shocking haha. Also for reference I'm 5' 4" and made my cloak with 4 yards of fabric. The pattern calls for I think 5-7 yards depending on width

I'll try to remember to get someone to take a picture of the cloak on me, but I really couldn't ask for more from the pattern. The only thing I adapted was cutting each panel into thirds and I haven't found anything else that needed to be changed. But then again, I'm not always the best at catching all of the details

Yes! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've had them for a while, but I've been finishing a different project so I kind of forgot about them. :p Sorry for the photo quality too, but I was using my phone and the lighting in my apartment isn't great. In person all the furs are a true black color.

Left to right is the alpaca, the regular Mongolian (not the curly sheep), and the long pile gorilla (http://www.fabricempire.com/faux-fur-fabric-long-pile-gorilla-black-60-wide-sold-by-the-yard.aspx).
View attachment 742575

The alpaca definitely seems like the right kind of fur as far as curliness and texture, but this particular one has kind of cheap looking fibers. It's still pretty decent, just looks more plastic-y and faux than some others. It does photograph a little better than it looks in person, though all the grey looking speckles in this photo are reflections from light hitting what I assume are certain fibers that are shinier than the rest (which doesn't help the fake appearance).
View attachment 742576

The regular Mongolian is my favorite of the three. It's a close match in length and general shagginess, but it’s chunkier and a little intentionally matted and less curly (rather than looser/fuzzier brushed out fibers on the movie cloak). But the fiber quality is nice so that makes it look less fake, and for me that makes up for any slight differences in texture. I don't know that I'll find anything better on the tight budget I'll have for mine, so this is probably what I'll get.
View attachment 742577

And the gorilla is similar to the Mongolian in length, but shinier and thinner and less textured (it kind of looks like a cheaper, more artificial version of the Mongolian). Fiber quality is a little bit better than the alpaca but still kind of the same plastic-y sheen, and this fur type is the least like the movie cloak, so it's the weakest of the three overall.
View attachment 742578

So of these at least, I highly recommend the regular Mongolian, but I ultimately recommend getting swatches if you can.

And your cloak looks fantastic so far! What fabric did you end up getting? I swatched Fabric Empire's felt and it was way too scratchy, so I'm looking at JoAnn's felt or fleece but I still haven't decided on anything. Your fabric looks really nice. Also really good to know which pattern you chose and that it worked out. I've been comparing a bunch of them and trying to decide how full/loose versus shaped/fitted the shoulders should be (like whether the side seams should actually curve over the shoulder following the shape of the neck/shoulder/arm, or whether the whole thing should basically be a half circle shape so the shoulder area is loose, if that makes sense).

I got my swatches today!!!
IMG_4556.JPG http://www.fabricempire.com/faux-fu...p-chocolate-fabric-64-w-sold-by-the-yard.aspx

IMG_4557.JPGhttp://www.fabricempire.com/faux-fur-long-pile-curly-fabric-alpaca-black-60-wide-sold-by-the-yard.aspx
IMG_4558.JPGhttp://www.fabricempire.com/faux-fur-fabric-long-pile-gorilla-black-60-wide-sold-by-the-yard.aspx

I'm going to try and dye the Mongolian sheep swatch black since I think it would be perfect! If that fails (which honestly it probably will), I'll also order the regular Mongolian

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back