Help with a wolfman mask! LOTS of hair questions.

Egon Spengler

Master Member
I'm doing a wolfman mask and I will be punching hair onto it's face, both long and short hair. I am wondering though since I want some different colors of hair on the face, is it possible to dye hair on a mask after the fact? Would I just need to get hair that is all one color and airbrush it to achieve that effect? I've also noticed that when i practice punching synthetic hair it still seems way to springy and unnatural. Could this be fixed by heating and styling the hair after it is punched or should I go with real hair? Also, where is a good place to get real hair if I need it? I also notice that synthetic hair doesn't really trim down well, and i'll need to trim down the hair on short places on the face.

Thank you!

I've done a bit of hair punching and suggest that you don't dye it once applied.

Best source for hair is to buy kanekalon hair extensions in various colors or real hair - although it's expensive. I purchase hair extensions from a bunch of strange hair/wig shops nearby in suburban Chicago. Build or buy a Hackle to mix the colors before punching it. I'd suggest doing a test on a piece of silicone or netting. This will help you identify where to need to trim it and how dense it needs to be.

If your budget allows, national fiber tech would be a great resource to assist. I've considered them for a portion of a mask since they have a lot of options. They're expensive but it may be worth it given the time to punch hair.

Post pics please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No photos yet :) Thanks for the help Mr Bungle and cckaiser2! Kanekalon is synthetic hair right? My biggest concern with this mask is that I want the front face to be covered in short hair, but I'm concerned that if i punch the hair in and then trim it every little imperfection and gap will show. Ugh. I was thinking maybe I could glue it down but im sure that'll look wrong too.

How short do you want the facial hair to be? If the fibers are short enough you could glue them on with a flocking gun and save yourself a lot of punching and trimming

WrenW, pretty short I believe. I've never heard of a flocking gun before. How would that work? That sounds like a great time saver though.

Its basically a static gun that you can put short fibers in and then sift them onto a surface with glue on it so that they fall standing up like hairs. As I understand it, model builders use them for grass...sometimes they're called static grass applicators. I used mine to apply raised velvety sections to fabric. There's a couple tutorials online for making your own, but I bought one on ebay for $30.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back