Studios Blame Everyone But Themselves For Movies That Suck

It's tough to say because there isn't really a single answer. The quick reactionary answer would be that more big budget movies need to bomb, and bomb hard. Like King Arthur. Studios MIGHT see enough bombs as a sign of a shift in audience tastes and start backing away from the huge budgets. But, at the same time, bombs might be attributed to the individual filmmaker and not the stories or characters themselves. Look at Spider-Man, rebooted twice in less than 20 years because Sony and Marvel know the character is profitable and popular. Doesn't matter if the movies sucked, they can blame that Marc Webb or whichever poor schmuck they give the job to.

Another thing is for more filmmakers to say no to franchises. Look at Jordan Peele, his passion project was a sleeper hit and now everyone is knocking on his door to do some kind of franchise movie. And yet, he is sticking to his guns and turned them down. That's a level of integrity you don't anymore. Not that I can blame a guy like Gareth Edwards for doing Godzilla and Star Wars. I myself would gladly sell out and write a franchise movie given the chance. But for Peele to turn that down, that could be something that will affect future filmmakers. Some of them might be less willing to do a tentpole and the studios might, MIGHT be willing to let them do more personal projects just to have them under their roof. Who cares if so-and-so isn't doing a DC movie, at least hes doing a Warner Bros movie. But who knows? I'm just a humble basement dwelling screenwriter.
K
The long and short of it is the only thing that will really create change is for audiences to stop seeing these ****ing terrible trash movies. Let the studios know you don't wanna see pandering bull****.

Thats exactly right ! As long as there is an audience, they will keep making this garbage. And don't get me wrong, there really is no accounting for taste. I am more than ok with people liking stuff I hate and vice versa. It's just that when you love something, you don't want anyone fraking around with it. Sure the studios want to expand their market, who doesn't. But when they alienate the core audience they lose a good chunk of cash. They don't care of course . It's like when an individual tells a business they won't shop there anymore, their like big woop. They don't care about one person. I wish more people had better taste, or similar taste to myself. If alot of folks stopped paying for this drivel, they might notice. Oh well, we still have our Dads Star Trek and Star Wars. There really is no other. This other stuff is just filler. It will be forgotten within a decade. The originals will last the test of time. And even if some people prefer these shallow substitutes, what do I care. Its just a matter of preference. Unfortunately theres only room for one current interpretation of a film series. They don't usually do more than one at a time. So when they make a film based on the Dark Tower books, and its nothing like what you remember reading, then you'll have to wait a decade or forever to get the film you want. Just an example, I haven't seen it yet. I just don't expect it to be like the books. I suppose its an opportunity lost sort of thing. Like I always say, thank God for DVD's and Blurays !

I don't think that any of these crappy reboots and remakes will go away anytime soon despite performing poorly domestically, at least until they quit making money in China.

Personally I always thought RT was a joke. Their critic score rarely lines up with their user score, and i'm far more interested in what the general audience thinks than a "professional movie reviewer" who has to continually justify their job.

In the end I always make my own decision, and don't put much stock in ratings. A movie can mean different things to different people, which is why I feel an averaged score from a large (public) rating pool is a bit more telling, but none of it guarentees what your experience of a film will be until you watch it. I largely avoid trailers these days too, because they can't seem to stop spoiling the whole film.

IMO.

Personally I always thought RT was a joke. Their critic score rarely lines up with their user score, and i'm far more interested in what the general audience thinks than a "professional movie reviewer" who has to continually justify their job.

In the end I always make my own decision, and don't put much stock in ratings. A movie can mean different things to different people, which is why I feel an averaged score from a large (public) rating pool is a bit more telling, but none of it guarentees what your experience of a film will be until you watch it. I largely avoid trailers these days too, because they can't seem to stop spoiling the whole film.

IMO.
Not only that, but the way people are now a days, they will either like it or hate it just to spite the other side. A friend of mine gave a movie a good review even though he hated it just to "mess with the data". :facepalm

One way to break this trend would be for more directors to do more quid pro quo deals with the studios, as in, I do this crappy TV show reboot of a movie and you greenlight a project of my choosing with me at fully at the helm. This way the studio gets their crappy low risk movie and we get something more original down the line. Clint Eastwood basically did this, he'd agree to star in some movie that a studio was courting him for but in return he'd get to direct a movie of his choosing. I don't have any examples but I do know that Clint got a number of hits out of those kinds of deals and later, Mario Van Peebles would do the same thing after working with Clint on Heartbreak Ridge.

Yeah, a number of directors have been able to do "one for you, one for me" deals. Even the "one for you" projects could be good. I watched THE EIGER SANCTION on HBO the other night, and had forgotten how well done it is. And Clint did a lot of his own climbing, stunts, including hanging over a 1000' drop, a heart-stopping shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back