revisiting the Viper mk. 2

I've been looking over some past builds of other people and I think I've decided to redo the white. It looks okay right now but I know weathering will bring it down even more.

This is a weird model for me because it's based off a CGI asset. I'm not used to that as a resource.

So I think I'll add more white, add decals and then do a gloss coat over the whole thing.

Then I'll sand down .

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The fact is, at the start of the series, all those mark 2's were in a museum. They looked shiny and brand new. So the weathering on one of these would be grease, shrapnel, and soot. There wouldn't be any rust streaking at all. None of them had any atmospheric weathering

I have to say, this micro mask is awful. When I did get it out come up, it took up everything down to the primer.
So all the bits that I wanted white to pull through, are now black

Yeah, I think whiter would look better. The full size set pieces as well as the CGI assets look very white (almost with a semi-glossy, or "enameled" type of sheen) Very different from the flatter, tanner/greyer whites of the Star Wars universe

I used Micro Mask before. It's not bad, but it can have problem with water based paints. I have used it with Tamiya paints and find it can be hard to come off, but not too bad. I generally put it on really thick to help it come off easier. Also I let the paint coats full dry and cure between applications. it worked nicely for my Slave-1

Yeah, I think whiter would look better. The full size set pieces as well as the CGI assets look very white (almost with a semi-glossy, or "enameled" type of sheen) Very different from the flatter, tanner/greyer whites of the Star Wars universe

I used Micro Mask before. It's not bad, but it can have problem with water based paints. I have used it with Tamiya paints and find it can be hard to come off, but not too bad. I generally put it on really thick to help it come off easier. Also I let the paint coats full dry and cure between applications. it worked nicely for my Slave-1

Thanks!

I totally just bunked this though. I decided to use my rattle can of AS20 and it started to sputter out pretty badly. I might have to strip this thing entirely. I'm terrible with rattle cans. I should stick to the airbrush..

And I'm going to get some straight white paint...

I used a liquid mask once many years ago. What came off stained my paint job the color of the mask.
Some of it pulled the paint up, some of it wouldn't come off at all.
I think it was because I applied it directly to matte paint, but it doesn't matter - I'll never use the stuff again.
Salt suits my needs just fine.

Hate that you're having so much trouble with this one, Astro.
Don't give up. The ones that fight back the hardest are the ones that turn out the best.

Love this kit, one of my favorite models of all time. I am not a big fan of over weathering, esp for this kit. I think it is best done pristine, at most with very subtle smart weathering. As far as color it is gloss white in my opinion, all that matters is how you want to make it. 9x out of 10 when it comes to lighting.....I do not care at all, the build and paint job is 99% of what amazes and impresses me.

So I was a bit held up on this project. Because I bought this when it first came out, the decals we're pretty thin. So when I went to put the Galactica emblams on the painted red stripes, they were completely clear. The yellow was just too thin for the deep red underneath.

Anyway, I posted this issue on Facebook and jbot came to my rescue! He was kind enough to send me what I need for free!

A true galactic hero!
89320a40be56d3c153e93dffb9fa351c.jpg

Looks great

I picked up the paragrafix set which had decals and photoetch for the cockpit and a few other areas. Definitely glad I did

The decals on the 1/72 versions were actually quite good as they were. Also, I think when Revell reboxed the kit for European release, they redid the decal sheet and got rid of that problem

You are totally correct the decals in the Revell reboxing are excellent.
I've built both the Revell and Moebius versions so I can definitely verify this.

You are totally correct the decals in the Revell reboxing are excellent.
I've built both the Revell and Moebius versions so I can definitely verify this.

I was okay with all the other decals (mind you, I painted the red stripes) but the yellow emblams were totally invisible on the red paint. the J bot ones ruled!

Okay, I guess I'm done. I'm not entirely happy with it. The oils and pigments didn't play out like I'd hoped. And even after putting a flat coat over top, it still looks too shiny.

I feel like I need to do something to bring down the weathering because right now, it looks like paint.

Suggestions?
73a6d930b1eb3ac2baa50b18c86f866d.jpg
149fbdcc4f6fce98945bbc21407ada2e.jpg
a3b8c73d55a067ef330e841e311644ab.jpg
909569aad304c8d665415a5eb4758a28.jpg

I think it looks great. :thumbsup
Thanks. This is my first non-star wars model so the techniques are a bit different. And the end product is quite a bit different.

I keep feeling as if I need to do a light spatter...but I know I shouldn't.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back