revisiting the Viper mk. 2

astroboy

Master Member
Many years ago, I stumbled upon the resin Illuminati forum. It was by complete accident. At the time I was getting back into sci-fi after a VERY long hiatus and NU-galactica was the catalyst for that. When I saw the forum I couldn't believe talent of everyone there. I lurked for quite a long time.

Then I saw somebody introduce a moebius 1/35 mark 2 and I was blown away. I ordered one from thinkgeek and went down to the LHS. I bought a 2 stage airbrush and everything I needed. I even bought some photoetch...except I didn't know why. Anyway, I ended up messing the model up during the glue stage. So I went and bought another one to start over.

That day I saw the 1/144 fine molds falcon and bought it too.....

Needless to say, that unopened Mark 2 has sat on a shelf....until now.

So here we go. Straight out of the box.

(anyone have a tamiya suggestion for a base coat? I've been doing star wars exclusively and I can't think straight any more)

Yep, blakeh1 beat me to it. I did that on my falcon and a-wing and I really like the way it turned out. You just keep adding layers of what color you want over the black to get the shade you want.

I am so bummed. I have been all over town looking for maskol and I can't find it. I ended up picking up Vallejo masking fluid instead but the entire jar is dried up. There must have been air in there. That's the second time that's happened to me.

Waste of money. I guess I'm just going to work with salt

I use Windsor and Newton art masking fluid from the art store. It's exactly the same except cream in colour and comes in a larger bottle.

Last edited:
I use Windsor and Newton art masking fluid from the art store. It's exactly the same except cream in colour and comes in a larger bottle.
Really? Is it like maskol? All rubbery?

I tried micro mask but it is water based and practically dissolves into the acrylics

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have both Maskol and the Winsor and Newton Fluid. The W&N fluid I find to be quite a bit thinner than maskol, I believe because it's intended to be painted on canvas. Can run in to places it's not wanted if you over do it.

Both are pretty much just latex in ammonia I think.

The salt chipping looks very cool

It's hard to tell in that picture, but I might have gone a little "whiter".It feels a little too grey, especially compared to the white papers on the table

Thanks!

Although it is much whiter in person, I really wanted to have the black basing effect. It may pay off....it may not

Okay....I was going with tamiya flat red for the red....but it's WAY too orange. I don't know if I had contaminated my paint or something.....But I need this a bit more crimson.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back